Phoenix Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Phoenix Ladies, help me out..

So DH and I are from MA and he was just offered a job out in Phoenix.  We do not know much about the area and were wondering if you all could help us out.

We have school aged children, so are trying to figure out the best neighborhoods for the best schooling. I am hoping to not live RIGHT IN the city, so any surrounding areas you can suggest?

<a target="_blank" href="http://crazymomadventures.blogspot.com">Adventures of a Mom</a>

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/jvivace98/Summer2011009-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Where is time going??

Re: Phoenix Ladies, help me out..

• What part of Phoenix would the job be in?  How far is your husband willing to drive to work?
  • See, this is how much i dont know...

Near the Park Central Mall? I hope you know better then I do, haha!

He'd be willing to travel a half hour to 45 minutes depending on what would be best....

Thanks!

<a target="_blank" href="http://crazymomadventures.blogspot.com">Adventures of a Mom</a>

[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/jvivace98/Summer2011009-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Where is time going??
  • Peoria Unified School District is *the* district to be in. Sunrise Mountain High School is probably #1. Liberty High School is new but its supposed to be a good high school eventually. Cactus High School is a pretty good one too. Mountain Ridge High School is in the Deer Valley School District but it is a GREAT school! Peoria District is the best though. I have a lot of friends who are teachers and this is the district to be in. Zip Codes to look at... Mountain Ridge: 85310, 85308, Sunrise/Liberty: 85382 and 85383. Good luck!!
  • I agree with Peoria.  You could also do Chandler or Gilbert.
  • Thanks for the information Ladies... Im doing my homework. I am reading about the kidnappings now (yuck) and about the monsoons.  They arent as bad as a new england girl would think they are, are they? Haha!  Then there are the big bugs.. 

Where is time going??
  • Take all that with a grain of salt..seriously, unless you're a drug trafficker and living in the heart of the ghetto, I seriously dont see any of that crime here. I'm from NJ (which is very similar to MA).
    News stories sensationalize that nonsense for ratings. I live in North Phoenix, which is about a 30 min drive to sky harbor airport. The traffic is nothing like NYC traffic!! It's very different from the east coast-(how i miss decent chinese and italian food)!

Monsoons are nothing compared to the rain and cold of NJ!  I can take 2 months of intense heat for 10 months of fantastic weather :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image njbride05:

Take all that with a grain of salt..seriously, unless you're a drug trafficker and living in the heart of the ghetto, I seriously dont see any of that crime here. I'm from NJ (which is very similar to MA).
    News stories sensationalize that nonsense for ratings. I live in North Phoenix, which is about a 30 min drive to sky harbor airport. The traffic is nothing like NYC traffic!! It's very different from the east coast-(how i miss decent chinese and italian food)!

Monsoons are nothing compared to the rain and cold of NJ!  I can take 2 months of intense heat for 10 months of fantastic weather :)

Thank you! That is a lot of what i wanted to hear! My friend who lives on the military base down there said that unless i am into drugs or illegals then I should be OK. I hate new england! We have 4 season, ... Winter, Winter, road construction and almost winter. It is horrible to say the least. 

It's nice to hear from someone who moved there as well from an area like I am in! Thanks again!

Where is time going??
  • Peoria would be quite a commute if he's working down town.  Plus I don't think the area is that nice.  I see more gang tagging and what not in the West Valley when I visit friends than I do in Scottsdale, Chandler (where I live) or Ahwatukee.

Ahwatukee or Chandler would be closer to Downtown Phx.

• Chandler, Gilbert, and East Mesa are all pretty nice areas. I don't know about the schools though. Welcome to AZ!
  • image AZmama:

Peoria would be quite a commute if he's working down town.  Plus I don't think the area is that nice.  I see more gang tagging and what not in the West Valley when I visit friends than I do in Scottsdale, Chandler (where I live) or Ahwatukee.

It would be a commute, but if you are wanting the best education this is the best school district, so I suppose you would have to figure out which one is more important I guess.

Also, I grew up in this area and I have never seen any taggings at all. I think some people have this "view" of the West Valley like it is scary or less "nice" than the East Valley. That definitely is not the case in any shape, way or form. Vistancia has been rated the best community in the nation and Arrowhead is a VERY nice area to live in. This will be the area the my husband and I will settle down in as location, locaton, location is KEY when buying a home and you want to buy a home in the best school district. It's really growing a lot! I love it!

• Thanks Ladies!

The schools are VERY important to me as we would have 3 starting school and I want the very best for them.

I do have a question about the "commute" though. Mapquest says that his commute would take about 35 minutes from a few houses we are looking at. Is the traffic horrible going into Phoenix in the morning? Right now we fight Boston traffic and his commute is about an hour and a half (it is an hour if there is NO traffic at all).

The reason I ask is that he needs to be no further then an hour out at any given time (i know accidents happen, but for all intensive purposes....). Do you think this would be a stretch when in zipcode 85383?

Where is time going??
  • I drive from Surprise, which is one of the farthest towns away from downtown and make it to downtown in 45 minutes.  I think you would be fine living in Peoria.
  • Hello and welcome to AZ!

Peoria or Deer Valley School districts are awesome, but you are still good in Chandler as well, totally up to you :-)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Mrs K ~ ~ March 21st 2009 ~
  • No, I can't imagine it taking an hour and a half to get downtown from 85383. That is my FAVORITE zip code. Great choice!! It is kind of nice because it is a little bit "away" from the hustle and bustle but there is still a lot there since it is growing. And the nearby mountains are GORGEOUS! But depending on where you are in 85383 it will take maybe 10-20 minutes to get to the freeway and then maybe 40 minutes to get downtown. So an hour I would say max with traffic. But then again, I've hardly done a commute downtown. But good luck! That is such a great area and it is growing a lot and it is safe! It is in the Peoria School District too! You would either be at Sunrise Mountain or Liberty (possibly Sandra Day depending... but I hear they will have a new high school in that area eventually). Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!
  • image AZmama:

Peoria would be quite a commute if he's working down town.  Plus I don't think the area is that nice.  I see more gang tagging and what not in the West Valley when I visit friends than I do in Scottsdale, Chandler (where I live) or Ahwatukee.

::rolls eyes:: at gang tagging in the West Valley. 

I'm an Arizona native, born and raised in Phoenix (living mostly on the west side of town, near I-17 and Bell most of my life).  But I have lived in other parts of the valley, worked all over the valley, and had friends and family living all over the valley.  So, while I'm more familiar with the west and northwest side of town, I know a LOT of areas of the valley pretty well.

Here is a "shocking" revelation:  There ARE bad areas on the east side of town too.  There are bad areas on the west side of town.  There are very nice areas on the west side of town.  There are very nice areas on the east side of town.

I understand that people have preferences on one side of town over the other, and I find nothing wrong with people who say they prefer the east side over the west side, or vice versa.  But I cannot STAND it when people categorize one whole half of the entire city as basically being the same (east side or west side).  You have pockets on both sides, and there are VERY nice (and expensive!!) areas to live on both sides as well. 

Many people refer to central and south central Phoenix as the "west side", and really, it's mostly just central.  Although Phoenix is working to revitalize the downtown area, it isn't quite there yet.  There are some new and upcoming areas downtown, but overall, once you get RIGHT outside downtown (and even within downtown), there are some pretty rough and scary areas.  And yes, there are areas on the west side that are older and rough too that I would never want to live.  There are also some fairly scary pockets in Mesa, Ahwatukee, and other parts of the east side.  Peoria, Glendale, north Phoenix (which can be considered east, west, or north central depending on where you are exactly), and Surprise are all very nice parts of the valley.  So is Chandler (very new), Scottsdale (although can be very, very expensive), Gilbert, Mesa, etc. 

My point being, I think it's unfair to categorize the "west side" as being one whole area that is all the same, which is most certainly is NOT.  Just like the "east side" is different depending on where you are on the east side.

Now, to respond to the post...

My mom sold her gorgeous home in the 85383 zip code during the housing boom (just NW of 67th ave. & Happy Valley), and I'm still sad that she did.  I LOVED that area, and I LOVED that house.  She's now in Surprise, which is also very nice, but a bit far IMO.  Anyway, from the 85383 area, the commute can be long, with more and more people moving out to the edges of the city.  I would say 45 - 60 min. would be reasonable estimations of commute times during rush hour, with an hour being on the longer side.  It will depend largely on when he is traveling, and exactly what part of the 85383 area you are living (the further north and west, the longer the commute).  If you are worried about the commute, I would not go too much further west though than that because the commute can get pretty long from areas like Surprise (which is more affordable, still growing, and becoming a really nice place to live), but where there are not a whole lot of options in and out, and so traffic can get pretty bad.

If you want to be on the west side and are worried about the commute, there are some very nice and more established areas on the north side, a little closer to I-17, so your husband would not have to deal with the 101 traffic, which can be a bit much during rush hour.  I-17 south still has traffic, but it would definitely cut down on his commute time.  Areas like Pinnacle Peak or Happy Valley road (between 35th and 67th ave) are nice, family friendly areas, with some homes that are newer and some that are more established (built in the 80's or 90's), but still very nice, and still very close to the Arrowhead area.  Also, my friend just bought a brand new house in an area near 19th ave. & Bell (a more established part of the NW side) that is gorgeous.  So, even if you look in some of the more established areas, if you want a brand new house, there are some little pockets that are being developed (or redeveloped) as well.

My recommendation might be to pick an area that you think you might want to live in, and try renting for 6 months so that you can get to know the area before you commit to a house purchase.  House prices are dropping here, and it's a good time to buy, but at the same time, if you get stuck in a house or area that you later decide you would rather not be in, you may feel stuck due to the current housing situation.

Regardless, good luck in the search!  And welcome (almost!) to Phoenix!  =)

• Ooops!  I think I posted this in the wrong area.  I think it was someone else who was looking for 85383.  Sorry!

Hopefully, this info. helps you too!!!  =)