Phoenix Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Where to Live??

My husband and I will be moving into the Phoenix area. ?He will be working at St. Joseph Hospital and I am a teacher. ?We know we don't want to live near the hospital because it isn't a great area but we aren't sure where to move. ?We need to be near the hospital as he will have to work long hours and be there early. ?We want an area that is safe, family friendly, near shops and has a walking area. ?Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Where to Live??

• In a nutshell...stay as far East and North as you can afford, and avoid the avenues.
  • I agree with pp about the East Valley.  If you can afford Scottsdale, that's your best bet, but otherwise Ahwatukee (technically it's Phoenix, but it's on the south-east side of South Mountain, just west of the I-10) would be a great place.  Chandler, Gilbert and east Mesa are all good, just a little further away.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also agree with pp.  Scottsdale, Chandler and Gilbert are good choices.  Where are you moving from?
  • We love our neighborhood. It's a brand new complex of townhomes. Our next door neighbor also works at St. Joseph's, they moved out here from New Hampshire and moved in about the same time we did. Our community is gated, great school right next to us, we have a small play ground area inside the neighborhood and a couple of parks within walking distance. Mall and shopping is very close and easy access to major highways. My husband spent the past 5 years in Peoria, and I spent the past 3, and we've always loved this side of town.

• Wow, none of you live on the West side? I'm West in Goodyear and it's quite lovely. The schools are good, housing is inexpensive, and business is still doing fine despite the economic times. Like anywhere, there are nicer places than others. I'm in the Etrella Mountain Community. Check it out. It might be a bit of a commute, but this is resort style living at it's best!
  • Can I just ask why you say to "stay away from the avenues"?

There are a lot of nice areas in the "avenues"

• The above girls are all semi-right. All of the northern parts of Peoria (85382/85383) and Glendale (85310/85308) are very nice areas. Scottsdale and Fountain Hills are wayyy too overpriced, I would not recommend those areas at all. Gilbert would be my next choice. And the Avenues you don't need to stay away from. It just all depends on where you are. I am actually more weary of the streets, so it just depends on where you are familiar I suppose. Good luck!!
  • Where do you live? ?We are looking into some areas of Glendale? ?Is this a safe area? ?
  • Glendale is plenty safe!  I'm in Arrowhead and love it!
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Mrs K ~ ~ March 21st 2009 ~
  • I grew up in Northeast Phoenix. There's an area called Moon Valley (zip code 85023) that has great school districts and good people with kids (but don't go past 19th ave). Paradise Valley is great too, a little more moolah but nice nonetheless. I have to agree with a few other nesties though, if you're thinking about moving to the avenues do some serious research before you do.