Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

London and Paris

i leave in a week - eek! unfortunately a lot of the trip is for business... but we have 2 days in each city where DH and i will have free time to do whatever we please.

i've been to both cities before (though it was 10 years ago) but this is DH's first time in europe. looking for recommendations for any "must see/do" things aside from the obvious very touristy things (of course we'll do some of those) - any "hidden gems"?

more importantly, i'm a big foodie and i'm looking for recommendations on good eats while we are there.  we like to eat cheap for lunch and splurge a little more on dinners while we're on vacation.  also - any recommendations for a special place for dinner on Valentine's day in London?

lastly - we need to book a night in each city on our own that is not covered by the company.  looking for something near a metro stop but pretty budget friendly...holiday inn type accommodations would be fine, doesn't have to be fancy. suggestions?

TIA!

Re: London and Paris

• I know London.  Go on one of the walks - they show some hidden gems and have a walk for everyone.

As for food - check out Toptable.  It has reviews (most people are Londoners who use this service, so you get locals' views) & menus.  You can even use it to make reservations.  You may have some issues for getting into restaurants for Valentine's day as many will be booked right now.  But one place I'd suggest if you'd be willing to venture out of central London is Little Bay.  I usually go to the one in Kilburn (easiest for me to get to), but I'm sure the other one is just as lovely.  It's a quirky, not expensive & cool restaurant.

Enjoy!

• Check out Rick Steve's books.  He has recommendations for what to see in, for example, London and Paris if you only have 24 hours, 2 days, etc.  They're really invaluable!! 

Can't make a recommendation for a Valentines' dinner, but for cheap lunches in London, you have to check out Wagamama.  It's a noodle bar with lots of locations around the city.  It's great!  Also in London, Pret a Manger is a great sandwich shop with locations everywhere. I had lunch there nearly every day when I lived in London for a summer!  In Paris, I think that getting lunch at a crepe stand is the best -- get a savory crepe, then a nutella crepe.  YUM.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Another suggestion:  for the 'hidden gems' - go on a walking tour in both Paris & London...they have unusual ones that show you places many tourists (and locals) don't know a thing about...very cool!