Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Prague...how many days?

We're headed to Europe in September and starting our trip in Prague. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay, eat, etc. Also, how many days should we plan on staying??
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Prague...how many days?

• our first time, we spent 7-8 days there (with a day trip to plzen) and last october we went for three days. i'd say at least 3-4 days for a first time visit.?

here's some info from the trip we took in 2006 and we went back to a few of the restaurants last year. we also loved pivovarsky dum (brewery/restaurant) and rychta restaurant on our last trip. this time we stayed in an apartment (http://mywayrentals.com/) and that included pick-up from the airport and viktor (owner/driver) gave us the rec for rychta. it in the mala strana and VERY central to charles bridge, petrin hill, etc...?

from 2006:

we stayed at the hotel belvedere which we booked through?venere.com. it's not super central but there's a tram just outside and a metro stop about 10 minutes down the road, takes about 15-20 minutes to get to the center of?prague. like many european hotels the rooms were small but they were clean and comfortable. the staff was really helpful. not sure of the 2008?summer rates but we paid $60/night two years ago. we're no frills when it comes to hotels, as long as the rooms are clean and the beds are comfy then we're happy. i've heard the street noise can be loud but we had a room that was at the back side so it was quiet for us.
    ?
    definitely take a walking tour. i believe we did the ?walks of prague ? tour (they have red umbrellas). all tours meet by the?astronomical clock?in old town square and there?s also a tourist center right there. we did a four hour walking tour during the day and one of the ghost tours at night. both guides were really good. the history and architecture of the city are fascinating. the mucha museum was one of our favorite things. it?s dedicated solely to mucha so it?s small but has gorgeous samples of his work. we didn?t do any of the castle museums but from the looks of it you could spend days there. we just walked the grounds and went inside?st. vitus?s cathedral.
    ?
    we didn?t take a cruise on the river and i really wish we had! we also missed the gardens that are supposed to be beautiful b/c they don?t open until april.
    ?
    because beer is cheaper than water, go to tesco (big?grocery store?in the center of the city) and get bottled water to have during the day. we got some snacks to keep with us b/c that?s pricey in small shops. there?s also a big?marks & spencer?(same one as in the uk ) that has british snacks & candy on their top floor.
    ?
    restaurants---
    ?
    our absolute favorite restaurant was?klub architektu?? it?s in the basement of another building (the jan haus chapel, i think ?) but very cool and the food was amazing. if you?re ever going to try ostrich, that?s the place to have it. i?m the pickiest person and i was floored by how good it was! great sangria too.
    ?
    new town brewery?? affordable and really good czech food, love the dark beer they had on tap.
    ?
    grand orient caf??? great?hot cocoa! it?s a cubist designed caf? that i liked so much we went three times. great palacinky (crepes) too!
    ?
    if?you are tired of czech food . . .
    ?
    pizzeria rugatino?? just off the old town square, they have tons of pizza & pasta and are very reasonably priced given the central location. some of the best pizzas you?ll find outside of?italy?.
    ?

chez marcel?? another one that is a little tough to find (in the jewish ghetto area) but it?s a cute french place with?delicious food. we went here after a 4 hour walking tour when warm, hearty food was essential!?

• Potrefena Husa is the restaurant associated with Staropramen brewery. ?There are several locations around town, and each vary slightly in price and menu. ?They have great Czech food with a twist (ie, it's not just a plate of fat in gravy). ?They also have non Czech food options that are very good. ?The one right by the Intercontinental probably has the lowest prices (but none of them are expensive).

There is also a place called Kolkovna in the Old Town that has amazing Czech food. ?However, they don't have non-Czech options, and its a little more expensive than a Husa (because it is a touristy place). ?They do have one-liter beers and I enjoy going there from time to time. ?

Other than that, what kind of food do you like? ?There are plenty of restaurants serving every kind of cuisine (some a lot better than others) all over the city.?

• Also, Snowyowl lives here too. ?She usually posts on the International Newlyweds board and would probably have some great?recommendations.?
  • KMS we are also heading to Europe this summer and starting in Prague!  It's our first stop, and we've never been there before.  We were planning on 3 days to see the city - arriving morning of the 1st and leaving morning of the 4th.  What other cities/countries are you heading too?
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Christine&Chris:
    KMS we are also heading to Europe this summer and starting in Prague!  It's our first stop, and we've never been there before.  We were planning on 3 days to see the city - arriving morning of the 1st and leaving morning of the 4th.  What other cities/countries are you heading too?

We are arriving in Prague the morning of 9/5 (leaving Seattle on 9/4). I think we'll plan for 3 days as well. We will be in Europe for 2 weeks, eventually making our way down to southern Germany, Switzerland, and northern Italy (including Cinque Terre). Our last 3.5 days will be in Barcelona, where we will fly home from. I studied abroad in Spain in college so I have to go back if I'm going all that way! I really wanted to go in July but we're using frequent flyer miles to pay for our trip and there was no availablity in July. Which month are you headed over there? Have a great time!

BabyFruit Ticker