Houston Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

XP: PIP our new pool/ and Zero landscaping!

I feel like a kid at Christmas morning today. After months of the messiest backyard ever, we are finally adding water to our new pool today! It finally feels real and not like a dream/nightmare.

Here is the mess

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

and here it is pre-water. (watering now....Big Smile)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

No thanks to a ginormous tax bill, our landscaping/furniture funds are being eaten up by the IRS for a while. I'll gladly host a GTG anytime, but it may be BYOC-bring your own chair for a while! Now, here is where I could use some great ideas.  I posted already asking for budget-friendly/quick/easy type landscaping ideas on the GL board. But wondering if Houston Green Thumbs who know our climate/soil may have ideas on how I can spruce up the yard little by little to make it the beautiful oasis I imagined. We'll put a couple palms behind the rocks for sure. I have 2  birds of paradise I bought on clearance itching to be planted. What else can I do that will add lots of color and spread out quickly? I love tropical hibiscus, lantana, oleander-though both moms are totally agains the poisonous virtues of the oleander...

These pics are small. If you want a better look, I have the pics on my blog.

[center][IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/wmm7aw.jpg[/IMG][/center]

[center]After 5 years fighting the infertility battle, we are letting go and answering a long desired call to adoption. I am so excited! [/center]
[center]
How We Met Our Baby
[/center]

[center]"Fear is the opposite of faith" -Granny[/center]

Re: XP: PIP our new pool/ and Zero landscaping!

• Oh, I love hibiscus. They are so easy to care for, and when in full bloom -  so beautiful!
  • I think I have already asked but what part of LC are you in?  Also, there is a Clear Lake/League City gtg planned for Thursday (I think) you could get to meet your "neighbor Nesties"....hehehe. 
    image Oh Joy to the World!!
  • Congrats!

Iris and lillies grow quickly here.  They're also fairly cheap.

• image JamicanBride:
    I think I have already asked but what part of LC are you in?  Also, there is a Clear Lake/League City gtg planned for Thursday (I think) you could get to meet your "neighbor Nesties"....hehehe. 

That would be great. I must have missed that post about Clear lake GTG. Our subdivision is at 45/Calder by the way.

[center]After 5 years fighting the infertility battle, we are letting go and answering a long desired call to adoption. I am so excited! [/center]
    [center]
    How We Met Our Baby
    [/center]

• It looks fantastic!

I would try Sago Palms, we have two and they grow like weeds.

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Try Shell Ginger. We have some that we transplanted from DH's grandmother's house and it grows extremely fast. It likes full sun. You plant it and you are done. It is easily as tall as our first floor windows and only took about a year to get that tall from just a clump of roots.

• image davidandheather:

image JamicanBride:
    I think I have already asked but what part of LC are you in?  Also, there is a Clear Lake/League City gtg planned for Thursday (I think) you could get to meet your "neighbor Nesties"....hehehe. 

That would be great. I must have missed that post about Clear lake GTG. Our subdivision is at 45/Calder by the way.

You arent' too far from a few of us, then.  I'm at 646/45. 

By the way, everything looks great so far!! 

image Oh Joy to the World!!
  • Any sort of ginger grows pretty fast and they are bushy - ours is about 6" tall and it's stuck under a magnolia tree. Variegated shell ginger is the yellow and green ginger that you see all over town.

I *hate* oleander. We had one at our old house. The thing was freaking huge - well above the eaves of our 1story house - because it requires a lot of trimming to keep it decent looking and to not get huge. So ours was really leggy and not all that attractive from the side. I realize that if DH had taken better care of it then it might have looked better, but I refuse to get any bush that can turn into a monster.

fyi, sago palm are also poisonous, especially to dogs but also to humans (mostly the seeds).

- Jena
  • image JamicanBride:
    image davidandheather:

image JamicanBride:

You arent' too far from a few of us, then.  I'm at 646/45. 

By the way, everything looks great so far!! 

Jamican and I live in the same neighborhood less than a mile or so from you.  Congrats on the pool!!!  We just finished ours about a month ago.  We have mexican fan palms, sago plams, pigmy palms, knock out roses, birds of paradise, oleanders, those plants that bloom that long purple flower (?), bottlebrushes, foxtail ferns, and a few others.  Things that bloom all year and don't shed flower that will fall into the pool.  Your pool looks awesome.  Who did you use?

• Ladies, thank you so much for the ideas. I never would have thought of ginger. I am pretty excited!

Houston-your yard sounds gorgeous!  Did you get some help or do it yourself? I'd love to have a pro just draw something up for us but no idea how much that costs. We did our front yard by ourselves. I appreciate that list. Our big question has been -what will shed into the pool-anyway and you answered it. thank you! Are you guys in Victory Lakes by the way? And have you figured out how to tax deduct the pool this year? I am still researching---probably will post that soon. Platinum Pools did ours by the way. They were okay but not familiar with LC and all the crazy boundary laws out here.

[center]
    How We Met Our Baby
    [/center]

• image davidandheather:

Ladies, thank you so much for the ideas. I never would have thought of ginger. I am pretty excited!

Houston-your yard sounds gorgeous!  Did you get some help or do it yourself? I'd love to have a pro just draw something up for us but no idea how much that costs. We did our front yard by ourselves. I appreciate that list. Our big question has been -what will shed into the pool-anyway and you answered it. thank you! Are you guys in Victory Lakes by the way? And have you figured out how to tax deduct the pool this year? I am still researching---probably will post that soon. Platinum Pools did ours by the way. They were okay but not familiar with LC and all the crazy boundary laws out here.

Victory Lakes is correct :)

Platinum Pools is who we now wished we would have used.  We use Richard's Total Backyard Solutions.  LC was the biggest PITA.  It took almost 3 months to just get the permit.  The pool had to be redesigned and shrunk 3 times due to all the rules regarding boundaries.  Richard's did our backyard but my brother used Lynn's Landscaping here in LC.  Their backyard makes mine look like a weed.  Lynn's was amazing!!!  At least have them come out and give you a quote.  On the taxes, I have no idea.  I will let our CPA figure that one out.