Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Not buying books in 2009

Yeah, right, but I told DH this as I have 5 billion books in my TBR pile. So hopefully I can do it for while.

I stopped by the bookstore on the way home and got 4 last ones:

Mary: Mrs. A. Lincoln (Janis Cooke Newman)

Sin in the Second City

Shadow Catcher (Marianne Wiggins)

Queen of Babble (Meg Cabot)

(I can continue to do PBS.)

Can I marry them all?

Re: Not buying books in 2009

• I really need to do this. I have so many TBR books (not to mention all the books in my classroom library I want to read) that I have no business buying new ones. I just can't resist the good thrift store deals!!
    image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • So far, I think I only want Harry: A History but I'll probably wait on that.  I don't have anything else pressing that I particularly want.

Will I be able not to buy books in all of 2009?  Probably not.  lol

Good luck with it.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• I seriously have 100 books at home to read, plus since I will keep doing PBS I'll have credits.

Temptation....

But yeah, I need to dig thru the ones I already own.

Can I marry them all?

• Yeah I tried that for 2008. I lasted 3 months.

Although I did use the library a LOT more this year, plus went to library sales/Friends of the Library bookstore. I didn't buy as many new books (for Borders/Barnes in comparisons to previous years. But still NOT buy any books for a year! :::shudder:::

• I have committed to only getting books from PBS.  We will see how that goes.
    [IMG]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/princesscjk255/221098662925870704_76hj4RZZ_c-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • That would be an excellent goal for me, but no way I would do it.  I am getting better about actually using my library. 

I got Harry, A History for Christmas, and I started it yesterday!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • What does PBS stand for?

I use the library alot and if I buy it's off of amazon!

• image MrsTallPaul:

What does PBS stand for?

I use the library alot and if I buy it's off of amazon!

Paperbackswap.com?

[IMG]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/princesscjk255/221098662925870704_76hj4RZZ_c-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • image cjeanette:
    I have committed to only getting books from PBS.  We will see how that goes.

We need to be each other's buddies in this difficult task. 

Can I marry them all?

• good luck ladies! I'm addicted to half.com sooo most of my books are cheap and I try to buy as many as I can from the same seller to save shipping- I still easily spent $100 on books this month. My bookshelf (that, yes, used to contain all sweatpants and sweatshirts- i'm a SAHM).. has TWO whole shelves of books now. haha. (yes our bedroom looks like a dorm room... we need another dresser!)
  • image kpow:

image cjeanette:
    I have committed to only getting books from PBS.  We will see how that goes.

We need to be each other's buddies in this difficult task. 

I am cjeanette on PBS as well

• This is a great idea, but I'm pretty sure that I could never commit to this. Good Luck though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Ooh- I am hoping to read Mary, I have it on my PBS list.

Good luck with your goal. Do thrift store books count? I don't think they should-- they are such good deals!

image image image
  • I am definietly trying to cut back.  Don't think I will go without buying any, but only from the used bookstore and thrift store.  That is my goal anyway-we'll see if it happens!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've been trying to cut back also!  I have a ton of books at home and probably at least 80 on my "to-read get from library" list so I have plenty to choose from.  So I try to just to buy ones I really want to read and know I will keep, I just got DIA and Voyager from Amazon used and get the other ones from PBS.
    imageimageimage
  • I actually did very good this year with noy buying books. I bought 2-3 off amazon and maybe 5 in the bookstore, but only ones that I really, really wanted. that a significant devrease from 2007 where I bought a lot more than 5!

I did PBS and was at the library a lot. In fact two days after we moved to our new city, I was getting a library card.?

I plan to keep it up in 09- PBS and the library all the way!?