August 2006 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Crap...wtf is wrong with this recipe?

ARGH.

I was so looking forward to this recipe:

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2008/12/10/savory-pecan-parmesan-and-thyme-shortbread/

I made it this morning, but since I didn't think 36 cookies would be enough, I made 1.5 times the recipe.

I just sliced the shortbread and baked it.  I've got a total of 30 cookies.  They are hideous looking, and only about 20 of them have actually stayed in one piece.  Most have broken or are just little midget cookies.

Grrrr....

The cookies all taste good, but I don't understand why the calculation was so off.  If anything my cookies are smaller than what the recipe called for, not bigger.

Now I'm frantically trying to find a new appetizer recipe for the party we are going to tonight.  Thankfully it doesn't start until 9 but I'm not looking forward to the store right now. 

The last party I went to with this crowd I brought my beautiful star cookies in my blog, so I have a reputation to maintain. Wink

Re: Crap...wtf is wrong with this recipe?

• its just butter cheese and flour. is that how one makes shortbread?

• did you use an actual stick of butter or did you measure it out differently?

• Spinach dip in a bread bowl?

I know it's not very beautiful, but it's quick, not a dessert, and ALWAYS tastes great.

• I just came back from the store.  I had homemade pesto in my freezer, so that's thawing, and I bought some puff pastry, so I'm going to do a pinwheel thing.

I'm just so irritated with that recipe.  I think there wasn't enough butter in the recipe, because although they taste fine, they don't taste buttery.

• By now I'm sure you have this resolved, but just wanted to sympathize. I HATE making a recipe that turns out less than planned.. I'm sure pesto pinwheels will be great.
  • That sucks - it sounded great. Maybe the nuts are keeping the cookie from holding together?

I have made these a few times. Even my husband who hates blue cheese ASKS me to make them for parties. My recipe has egg yolk in it - that may be the trick to keeping the shortbread from breaking up when you bake it.  Maybe chilling the dough for longer before slicing helps, too.

This recipe freezes well, too. I serve the "cookies" on a platter with bunches of grapes. It is fab. Happy New Year! I am sure your pinwheels were great.

Walnut-Roquefort Shortbread

1 1/2 C flour
    1 C walnut pieces
    1/2 lb. Roquefort, crumbled
    1/2 C cubed, cold butter
    2 egg yolks
    1 tsp. pepper

Blend all ingredients in food processor till dough forms.
    Divide dough in quarters.
    On lightly floured surface form each into a 1 1/2 inch-diameter
    cylinder.
    Wrap and chill 4 hours.
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    Cut dough into 1/3 inch thick rounds.
    Place on ungreased baking sheets and bake 9-10 mins or till edges are
    golden.
    **alternate sheets 1/2 way through cooking to eliminate over-browned
    bottoms.
    Transfer to paper towels to cool.
    To utilize the oven for multiple dishes, bake at 350 degrees for a
    longer period of time.

• Alisa, that looks really, really good.  I'm totally bookmarking this thread. 

I think the nuts did have something to do with the problem with my cookies...I don't think I cut the pecans small enough.  They probably should have been really finely minced, and not chunky.  But, I'm thinking there wasn't enough butter.  Actually, looking at your recipe makes me think it was a butter or fat problem.  No egg yolks in mine.  My recipe also called for the butter to be at room temp, not ice cold, though thinking about it now, ice cold makes more sense.

The pesto pinwheels were OK.  Not something I'd probably repeat, but people really liked them, so that's good.

• I agree - warm butter might be the issue! Man, they sounded so good, though!