Gardening & Landscaping
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Starting an herb garden

I live in Florida, so I have great weather year-round, except some summers when it's very hot.  Recently, I started cooking with fresh herbs from our grocery store and really love it.  I've wanted to start an herb garden but I never have had a "green thumb" and often forget to water them.

I have two spaces to grow this garden: we have a small, partially-fenced in area outside our kitchen window or in the kitchen window that is a planter window.  I'm worried about the huge tree canopy over our apartment complex and the squirrels that frequent our area, and we'd likely have to dig up a few scraggly trees in the enclosure.  Which would you recommend?

If I change our planted window from decor to an herb garden, how should I set it up?  TIA! 

Re: Starting an herb garden

• i would start out growing herbs in pots if you're a newbie.  that way you can move them around until they are happy.  Most popular herbs need a lot of sun (although many appreciate a bit of shade in REALLY hot summers).

Basically figure out what place gets the most sun & try them there first.

• We planted our first herb garden this past summer. My husband does not have a green thumb what so ever, but he grew the best herbs ever. he got them all from Home depot and Target. He planted honeydew, some type of cucumber, mint, and about 4 other herbs. They do like the sun, as pp said and we watered every other day. Happy planting!
  • I'm in Jersey and started a window box herb garden over the summer. ?I had such a blast using fresh herbs! ?When the weather changed my awesome Mom treated me to an aero garden! ?If you run into out doors trouble, this is a good alternative!!!?
  • I'm in Gainesville, FL. I have rosemary, garlic chives, and oregano outside - they survive freezes and are very happy with only rain - no addditional water. Basil, Cuban oregano and chiles do not survive freezes outside. Inside, I have sage, mint and thyme (great growers as long as you keep pinching leaves for use); I have had cilantro and regular & purple basil inside (did not work for me). Both outside and inside the plants are in south-facing sun.

I don't water or cover things outside b/c I am lazy so maybe if you were more attentive than I am, other plants would work for you. GL

Baby BOY 10/03/06!! Went to India to get our DAUGHTER (DOB 8/14/07) HA! A surprise after adoption - Baby girl (DOB 3/19/11)!
    Bubbles are serious stuff.
  • Thanks for the great advice!  I have decided to start several herbs indoors in the kitchen planter window.  So far, I have bought a rosemary plant that I transferred to a clay pot and started seeds of chives, oregano, parsley, sweet basil, marjoram, and cilantro.  Hopefully, they'll get enough sun in our west-facing window.  I'm trying to mist them with water every day.

I love cooking with the fresh herbs.  I'll likely start up a mint plant so that I can also make my own mojitoes. Big Smile

• We cheated...

I can't seem to keep anything alive, so we bought an Aerogarden and have loads of fresh herbs growing such as basil, dill, mint, thyme, chives....and it is really easy...no mess!

• Flutterflash--well, I'm glad you decided to start with something--you made some great selections-- HOWEVER, unless the packaging that the herbs came in encourage "misting" I would not do that.  Tap water has different chemicals than rain water--in general it's NOT a good idea to "mist" anything that would normally grow with just rain.  That's why soaking hoses are so popular for gardens--they don't get the leaves wet.  HTHs.