January 2012 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

All Worried (vent and a little long).

At my last appointment on the 9th, I had a high blood pressure reading. I don't remember what it was but the nurse and my doctor like flipped their lids. It actually sort of irritated me because they kept demanding "why is your blood pressure so high?" Like I have any idea.

The nurse further irritated me because she asked me if I had a cold. I said I had stuffy nose but that was it. No sore throat or fever. I mean I sneeze, but it's mostly from trying to clear my nose. She then scolded me for not taking any meds for it. Um. Sorry, I was trying to NOT pump meds into my body if I didn't need to. I've always been like that. I thought that was better when you're pregnant.

My doctor wanted me to go out to the office a few times to have my blood pressure taken. I didn't get a chance to do it last week (I know, it should have been a priority but I got busy and the office is a half hour out of my way.). I did message a nurse and she suggested getting a blood pressure monitor, which I did after a a ton of research. Should be here tomorrow. I hope if I take it over the next few days, that will be good enough.

I know I shouldn't get all worried quite yet, but the way the doctor acted just freaked me out. I just hope it doesn't turn into anything. It stinks too because I loved this doctor before. Lately though, I prefer the other doctor I've seen (who did my d and c and who I saw for my first appointment). This other doctor is really hard to get into though. I feel like I need to at least meet the other doctors though because the rotate and I could have any of them when I deliver.

phew. okay, I'm done.

01.21.2012---> I married a redhead I'm crazy about.

04.2016: IT'S A BOY! Elias Alan is due!

WDW trips: 05/14 (1st trip! Art of Animation; Little Mermaid), 05/15 (Pop Century!). DL Trips: 12/15

Re: All Worried (vent and a little long).

• What was your bp?
    Lilypie - (2f9f)Lilypie - (y2el)
    Daisypath - (30fE)

• I don't remember. I wanna say 170 something

WDW trips: 05/14 (1st trip! Art of Animation; Little Mermaid), 05/15 (Pop Century!). DL Trips: 12/15

• First of all, I thought a stuffy nose was a pregnancy symptom. It doesn't matter what I would take, mine won't go away. Which is becoming part of my problem, because my nasal drainage is part of what is making me sick. But I digress. They are probably worried about preeclampisia, which is an issue, but honestly, if it was me, my blood pressure would have been up from them yelling at me. 
    photo sig_zps7d54b52d.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Both of you should try a saline nasal rinse. It works wonders for stuffy noses.

Having a BP that high is something to worry about. You do need to make it a priority to go in for BP checks when requested. High BP negatively effects blowflow to the baby and can cause you to have a seizure or a stroke. Pre-eclampsia can happen in the healthiest of women, so take the seriously and don't be annoyed when your doctor gets worried or on your case about it.

I was induced with both kids because of high BP (scary high with emerson) and I have a friend who had a very premature baby because of pre-eclampsia. Stay on top of your bp.
    Lilypie - (2f9f)Lilypie - (y2el)
    Daisypath - (30fE)

• edited October 2015
    See that's what I thought too. Why take something that's not gonna help unless I have other symptoms. The saline didn't help either. My Bp always runs a little high cause I'm nervous at these appointments. I know they are being cautious and it's a big deal but I don't think that gives them the right to treat me poorly. Now that I'm completely freaked out and feel like crap.

Also, I invested in a blood pressure monitor, as suggested by the nurse.

• I'm sorry you are so worried. Could you go to a pharmacy or grocery store today and do the blood pressure monitor there? Maybe it would put your mind more at ease until you monitor arrives tomorrow.
    Daisypath - (B4ZA)
    Lilypie - (V3N1)
  • They don't have one In town. It just arrived so I'll take a reading before I go to bed since I usually spend about a half hour reading and sitting in bed.

Penguin129
  • They don't have one In town. It just arrived so I'll take a reading before I go to bed since I usually spend about a half hour reading and sitting in bed.
    YAY! Let us know what happens.

Daisypath - (B4ZA)
    Lilypie - (V3N1)
  • Took it three times, ten minutes apart. Average was 125/65. I know these things aren't as accurate as getting it done at a doctors office, but this one has the best reviews on Amazon and I read several journal articles written by doctors who recommend it so I did a fair bit of research. If anything they tend to read a higher bp. so, hopefully it stays down and is more normal at my appointment after the ultrasound

• Saline makes me worse, believe it or not. I wish it helped, but it doesn't. 

I think you are taking the right step though, in getting your own machine and taking it on your own. 

BabyFruit Ticker 

• And it sounds like you also have a much better reading at home, which happens to my parents all the time. 

BabyFruit Ticker 

• The only thing that helps me is either smelling a peppermint candle or putting a little Vicks vapor rub behind my ears. Saline has been a bust for me too

And that's what Tyler said. The machine was under 100 and now I can keep an eye on it and will be able to report anything unusual to my doctor right away. Plus it saves us gas money and time.

I figured and hoped it would be lower at home. Going to the doctors stresses me out to no end. Plus, I had just done a bunch of housework before hand. Still not dismissing it yet, for sure going to keep a close eye on it and hope it stays down

• My sister tends to have high bp and it doesn't help when you are already nervous. I know some people who just get so nervous going to the doctor it makes them have high readings.

I agree it's important to monitor. But I also think it sounds like your doctor should have/could have handled that better. Been more explanatory and tried to help calm you down. They should both realize freaking you out won't help your bp.

Hugs!!!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker