Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Fantasy lovers: A list of the 51 Best Fantasy Series Ever Written

I've read 10 of these, and I'm thinking that NK Jemisin may be my next series. http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/fantasy-forever?utm_term=.rv4by8zM2#.uymNAP42Q
InLovewSBduxcaelo

Re: Fantasy lovers: A list of the 51 Best Fantasy Series Ever Written

• NK Jamisin is definitely moving to next on my list.
    Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores
    sassypants527
  • I just got the first of each series by nk jemisin

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• Are these supposed to be in order? Because there is no way that Wheel of Time should be #25. No. Outlander is so unlike anything Tolkien - how can they even be compared? Fantasy is so mixed. I enjoy several types of fantasy, but I wouldn't (normally) choose vampires or demons or that type. I prefer magic, knights, epic tales. This list to me is too random.
    ~ G ~ 10/2008
    ~ E ~ 7/2010
    ~ A ~ 3/2014
  • No particular order.
  • GilliCGilliC member
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2015
    The thing that struck me most from this list?
    How many fantasy authors use multiple initials:

George R.R. Martin
    J.R.R. Tolkien
    J.K. Rowling
    C.S. Lewis
    T.H. White
    N.K. Jemisin
    R.A. Salvatore
    MrsC7sassypants527
  • edited August 2015
    I'm in love with this list. I've read (at least the first installment) of 13. Also, I feel like a mega-dork.
    imageimage

My Badges:
    image imageimageimageimageimage imageimage image image imageimage image image imageimageimageimageimage image image                       

• I've got NK Jemison pretty high on my list too!  

As far as initials go - do you think women tend to use initials in fantasy writing because of the gender stereotypes/limitations to publishing?
    image image image
    nocturnalintimacy
  • I've got NK Jemison pretty high on my list too!  

As far as initials go - do you think women tend to use initials in fantasy writing because of the gender stereotypes/limitations to publishing?
    I don't know for sure but I think that is very likely. Look at all the backlash that women have gotten in the gamer universe.
  • GilliCGilliC member
    edited August 2015
    Except that the only women on that particular list of initials are N.K. Jemisin and J.K. Rowling.

[ETA - Nevermind. Wikipedia has corrected me... "Anticipating that the target audience of young boys might not want to read a book written by a woman, her publishers asked that she use two initials, rather than her full name."]

[ETA 2 - While that may be the case for Rowling, it's not the case for Jemisin according to her Reddit AMA:
    "Great question. Honestly, it has nothing to do with hiding my gender. Frankly, when I first started publishing short stories (about 15 years ago), I was just thinking about trying to keep my work life and my writing life separate. But this was in the days before Google, and I don't think I realized how much search technology would evolve over time, so that a person using initials would be easily linked to their full name. D'oh! Now every time I do a job search, I have to explain to potential employers that yes, I'm that N. K. Jemisin, yes I write about magic and aliens, no I don't dress up as Spock at conventions, hey can we please talk about my qualifications...? :)"]

On a tangentially-related note, Tracy Hickman was at the GenCon writer's symposium this year, and I think there was a picture of him with Margaret Weis in the program. One of my friends pointed it out and commented that since he was used to seeing the name alongside Margaret Weis, he had just assumed Tracy Hickman was a woman!
  • GilliCGilliC member
    edited August 2015
    So I tried to find a reason that so many Sci-Fi and Fantasy authors (of both genders) use initials, but most of the links came up with female authors being more marketable as gender-neutral writers.

:( Ugh.

Looking at this list of fantasy authors, of those authors that only go by initials, I counted 20 men and 13 women. A noticeable difference, however, is that of the 20 men, 12 of them were born before 1930, and it seems to be much more common among historic authors to use initials instead of full names. So among contemporary authors, we're looking at a 13:8 split.

If I had more time, I would look at the percentage of women on the list using initials compared to the percentage of men.
  • GilliC said:
    So I tried to find a reason that so many Sci-Fi and Fantasy authors (of both genders) use initials, but most of the links came up with female authors being more marketable as gender-neutral writers.

:( Ugh.

Looking at this list of fantasy authors, of those authors that only go by initials, I counted 20 men and 13 women. A noticeable difference, however, is that of the 20 men, 12 of them were born before 1930, and it seems to be much more common among historic authors to use initials instead of full names. So among contemporary authors, we're looking at a 13:8 split.

If I had more time, I would look at the percentage of women on the list using initials compared to the percentage of men.
    With the right amount of time/knowledge, an academic paper on this would be absolutely fascinating.  I'm kind of contemplating how much research it would require and if I have the motivation to put in the work to find out big picture from each major publisher what the ratios and statistics are.  I'd definitely want to read it if someone else wrote it.  Off to my college's databases for research!
    image image image
    sassypants527RevJennocturnalintimacy