Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Humor Me: Audiobook Recs

MrsC7MrsC7 member
Seventh Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
edited December 2014 in Nest Book Club
My SIL asked for "an audiobook" for Christmas, with the following guidance: "Have a favorite book? Know a book I would love? Get me the audio book version." LOL. She's a zookeeper by day and a stand up comic by night. (I'm not kidding.) She loves the beach and professional soccer.

SO. Tell me your favorite audiobook that you think she would like. :)
image imageimage

Re: Humor Me: Audiobook Recs

• I haven't listened to it yet, but I have heard a lot of great things about Amy Poehler's new book, Yes Please.

my read shelf:
    Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

MrsC7
  • Harry Potter?

Sarah Jio's books are good on audio and they're short.
    Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 110
    Books read in 2014: 151
    Books read in 2015: 153
    Books read in 2016: 31

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/1zWJm6.png
    <a href="//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" style="height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medi
  • My favorite is Fall of the Giants. I absolutely loved listening to that book and is truly one I am pretty sure I enjoyed more because I listened to it than just read it.

Ready Player one gets rave reviews for audio.

I haven't listened to many audiobooks fwiw.
    DD born 1.25.15

• If she likes historical fiction I have a ton of recs for those!
    Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 110
    Books read in 2014: 151
    Books read in 2015: 153
    Books read in 2016: 31

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/1zWJm6.png
    <a href="//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" style="height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medi
  • I LOVED The Art of Racing in the Rain on audio.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lauren620 said:
    I haven't listened to it yet, but I have heard a lot of great things about Amy Poehler's new book, Yes Please.
    I just finished this and loved it. I think if she's into stand up comedy she would appreciate this book. 

All of the Raven Boys books I've loved on audio too, though those have nothing to do with any of her likes or hobbies. 
    image image
  • I have been on a John Scalzi kick this year.  His stuff is just funny and geeky and wonderful.  Sci-Fi, but totally accessible even if you're not into Sci-fi.  It doesn't hurt that Wil Wheaton is the narrator for everything of his I've chosen.  I'm listening to Lock-In right now, which is great, but I've also really loved Agent to the Stars, The Android's Dream and his reboot of L. Beam Piper's Fuzzy series, Fuzzy Nation.

Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloane is fantastic on audio.  So is Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple.  Both are also geeky, funny.  Off to Be the Wizard by Scott Meyer was also terrific -- it is definitely the one that has had me laughing harder than any other.

Similar to Mr. Penumbra but more horror is 14 by Peter Clines.  This was my sleeper hit.  I got this one based only on the reviews and it is maybe my favorite thing I've listened to this year.  Soooo good.

I also really like Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad series on audio. 

• Unbroken was very good as audio and the Outlander series.

BFP 1/8/11 - U/S 2/24/11 (11wks) no heartbeat measuring 6w1d - D&C 2/28/11

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Julie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • YES to Amy Poehler's book.  And if she hasn't read Bossypants yet, the two would make the PERFECT combo gift for a fan of comedy.
    image image image
    GilliCj*&p*
  • @julie37619 Great idea! Done and done.
    image imageimage
  • Unbroken
    Ready Player One
    The Name of the Wind
    Robin
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12

Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

2014 Reading Goal: 85