Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anybody go see Mockingjay Part 1?

What did you think?
Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores

Re: Anybody go see Mockingjay Part 1?

• I'll be going some time this week. I'm so excited. I've heard so many good things!
    image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Not yet! But we're trying to get it figured out for tomorrow. I can't wait!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't wait to see it, but it wont be this week!  I hate crowds. 
    my read shelf:
    Miranda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    “Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
    "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
    "I don't much care where –"
    "Then it doesn't matter which way you go.”
    ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

• I was going to see it tonight but then my husband made plans for us. He totally forgot about the movie. Maybe Monday, we have a busy weekend lined up. I can't wait!

my read shelf:
    Jenn's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I saw it last night. It was super duper intense. My heart was pounding the entire time and I jumped out of my seat on a few occasions. I know this isn't a surprise to people who have read the book, but 2 hours of nothing good or even hopeful happening is emotionally exhausting. The special effects were terrific, and man was it a LOUD movie. 

I think the plot points in this half are hard to express in a movie. I mean, most of the first half of Mockingjay is really Katniss trying to decide WTF to do next and who to trust. So, while I enjoyed the movie (enjoyed is not the right word, heh), I don't think they needed to make it two movies. 

Jennifer Lawrence is still a phenomenal Katniss. And I absolutely adore Effie. 
    Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores
  • I liked it, but I was bored quite a bit. I definitely don't think they should have split it into two movies.

my read shelf:
    Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I think we are going to go see it tomorrow.  It seems like reviews are split.  :-/

Nicolle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I enjoyed it but think I'll love Part 2 more. I thought some parts were seriously over acted but I can look past it. I need to see it again to fully process my thoughts :)

Lilypie - (VrMh)
  • InLovewSBInLovewSB member
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Why did they put those horrid contact lenses in Julianne Moore's eyes?!!  From the very beginning, every scene she was in all I could think is "WTF is going on with her eyes?!"  Hated that!

I got all choked up during the scene where she walks through the hospital. And, surprisingly, the scene with the dam made me all misty (I guess just all those people making that sacrifice, knowing they were going to die.)

I was pleased with the movie. I loved that they glossed over how much time she spent sitting in a closet or a boiler room, which made the book really drag for me. I was pleased with the movie's emotion. I was pleased with the Capitol people in 13. The film crew was excellent! Effie and Plutarch were wonderful. Haymitch added some welcome levity. And so happy to see Buttercup :)
    ~ G ~ 10/2008
    ~ E ~ 7/2010
    ~ A ~ 3/2014
  • @InLovewSB‌ I thought the casting was great. I really liked Boggs and the capital film crew. I didn't notice anything about Julianne Moore's eyes, what did they do?

my read shelf:
    Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Lauren620 said:
    @InLovewSB‌ I thought the casting was great. I really liked Boggs and the capital film crew. I didn't notice anything about Julianne Moore's eyes, what did they do?
    Julianne has lovely green eyes. This article has several photos so you can compare. The problem with her eyes in the movie was that the pupils didn't change size, which made them look really fake. And unlike what's shown in the promotional posters, the movie color brown wasn't shaded and reflecting depth, instead it was flat and unchanging... soulless. Awful.
    ~ G ~ 10/2008
    ~ E ~ 7/2010
    ~ A ~ 3/2014
  • I watched this tonight, so I can finally weigh in! 

This was my least favorite of the three movies, and I felt like it dragged in a few places. I imagine I wouldn't feel this way had they not split the damned book into two films. My daughter wasn't blown away either. She said that her friends will have to see it without her because she has no desire to watch it twice. 

I wrote this! 
  • InLovewSB said:
    I was pleased with the movie. I loved that they glossed over how much time she spent sitting in a closet or a boiler room, which made the book really drag for me. 
    This. This is going on my short list of movies I liked better than the book for this very reason. Katniss in Mockingjay never really felt like the same character to me, and I think the film did a better job in that way than the book did.

Irony: I'm writing this while wearing my Threadless "Movies: Ruining the Book Since 1920" shirt.
  • I really enjoyed it and thought they did a good job but my friend and I really didn't like how much they glossed over the evils of district 13.  If you didn't read the books you would think 13 wasn't that bad.  They totally took out the part of her prep team being tortured and how much control 13 has over everyone's life (there was one small mention of their schedules).  I'm hoping they show more of that in the 2nd one. 

~Lauren~

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (babystinkbreath)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Read in 2011: 56/55

Read in 2012: 31/30

Read in 2013: 49/40

Read in 2014: 42/40

• It's been a long time since I read the books, so I'm not willing to compare them, but I totally loved the movie.  I cried through pretty much all of it.  And I LOVED that they didn't really pretty JLaw up.  I mean she's gorgeous, but they didn't do makeup or sexy clothes - she wore coveralls just like everyone else and she didn't look at all glamorous.  I was a fan.
    image image image