Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

S/O: What's the scariest/most disturbing movie you've seen?

Event Horizon scared the bajeezus out of me as a kid.  I watched it as an adult and it wasn't nearly as scary.
116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Wes: 10/8/2012

sweetc129

Re: S/O: What's the scariest/most disturbing movie you've seen?

• Poltergeist.

I am a wuss.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • When I was in high school, The Ring scared me so badly that I didn't sleep alone for almost a month. 

I think What Lies Beneath is an underrated, super scary movie. Same with The Mothman Prophesies. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

booknerd226
  • The Dark Crystal.  Fucking PUPPETS.  I still can not watch that movie.  Give me a psycho killer clown, scary murderous children, zombies with chainsaws.....Anything but PUPPETS!!!!!!
    90 books in 2015?
    RiverPlate
  • SnShne322SnShne322 member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    jackiback said:
    When I was in high school, The Ring scared me so badly that I didn't sleep alone for almost a month. 

I think What Lies Beneath is an underrated, super scary movie. Same with The Mothman Prophesies. 

OMG, this one was so terrifying.  Even still, I googled it like crazy after seeing the movie.

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman

116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

sweetc129
  • jackiback said:
    When I was in high school, The Ring scared me so badly that I didn't sleep alone for almost a month. 

Yes!! I can vividly remember certain scenes that had my heart rate beating so fast I thought it was going to burst from my chest!

Joyce's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Hoycie said:
    jackiback said:

Yes!! I can vividly remember certain scenes that had my heart rate beating so fast I thought it was going to burst from my chest!
    Is this the scene with the water?
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:

• The most scared I ever remember being is when I watched Poltergeist as a really little kid. My parents left the TV on one night and I watched it alone in the middle of the night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The Descent.  Oh my god.  The alternate ending (non-US ending) made it THAT MUCH CREEPIER.

Not scary, but I was highly disturbed by The Human Centipede.  Couldn't eat for about three days after watching that.  
    75 Books in 2015?

photo OutlanderMafia.jpg  
    It's slippery as waterweed.
    booknerd226
  • @MrsJenE

It is The Descent for me too! I slept with the lights on for weeks.

I have not nor am I planning to see the other one you mentioned. 
    Duxcaelo's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2011-goodreads shelf)
    Anniversary
  • SnShne322 said:
    Hoycie said:
    jackiback said:

The scene in the water, the scene in the bathroom, the scene all over the house and there are more.  I LOVED this movie.  It's the only movie that has ever made me hate Harrison Ford @snshne322

Joyce's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Hoycie said:
    SnShne322 said:
    Hoycie said:
    jackiback said:

The scene in the water, the scene in the bathroom, the scene all over the house and there are more.  I LOVED this movie.  It's the only movie that has ever made me hate Harrison Ford @snshne322
    It hurts to hate Harrison Ford. =((
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:

moroccojade
  • For me too:

The Ring
    The Descent
    What Lies Beneath

But I'm scared by anything haha. The Ring kept me from sleeping alone for several days.
  • Silence of the Lambs!  For some reason my parents let me watch that as a young child and I still cannot watch that movie all the way through. 

Poltergeist is another one that I remember being scary, along with The Leprechaun (I was terrified to sneeze three times for years).  For some reason my elementary school thought it would be good to show 6th graders It around Halloween.  I still hate clowns!  I am not one for horror flicks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The Mothman Prophesies  and Fire in the Sky.  The chapstick part of MP scared the everloving crap out of me. Also, just the fact that it was based on someone's account of what they remember actually happening made it all the creepier. I remember going with one of my friends and dropping her off afterward and being scared sh!tless driving home by myself. 

The original Saw also scared me too much. I thought about it and had nightmares for weeks. I think that's the one that put me off of horror movies for good. 
    image image
  • The Strangers terrified me. Normally scary movies don't bother me.
    TTC #1 since Sept '09 Dx: Severe MFI/Azoo
    IVF w/ICSI - transferred 2; froze 3
    Beta #1 150 Beta #2 320 - 7/16 124 bpm (6w5d) EDD 3/6/13 
    Our team green baby was a girl! Emma Lynn born 2/23/13

my read shelf:
    Janelle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Scariest, probably The Ring.
    Most disturbing: Requiem for a Dream. I know it's not a scary movie, but it was sensory overload for me.
    imageimage

My Badges:
    image imageimageimageimageimage imageimage image image imageimage image image imageimageimageimageimage image image                       

• I was scared of everything when I was young. Top choices from childhood would be HellRaiser, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Poltergeist. As an adult, I don't watch many scary movies, but I would have to say Saw. I don't think I have watched a scary movie since then.

The pic below is a prime example of what happens to me after watching anything scary. I obsess over it and freak myself out.
    This cracks me up.

SnShne322RiverPlatej*&p*
  • I'm not sure I'd consider them the scariest I've ever seen, but the ones that scared me the most at the time were Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal.  
    image image image
  • RiverPlateRiverPlate member
    Ancient Membership 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    There was a movie called 'The Other' that I saw in HS and I completely lost it.  There were a couple Tales from the Crypt that made me lose some sleep.  I love to be scared. 

• I feel so old after reading your responses!  The Ring in high school, Silents of the Lambs when you were kids... bah!  I saw those in theaters as an adult!  Now, to make me feel even more decrepit, my personal choice for most disturbing movie is Don't Look Now.  It came out the year after I was born and I saw it when I was five or six... and had nightmares about it into my late twenties.  So terrifying and creepy.  Not gory, just psychologically frightening.

The movie itself still creeps me out, but the nightmares stopped after I saw the movie Unconditional Love with Rupert Everett and Kathy Bates and Meredith Eaton that came out in the early 2000's.  It makes a hysterical reference to Don't Look Now.

The other frightening movie that haunted me forever was The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T.  Written by Dr. Seuss.  Some seriously effed up stuff.  
  • HIGH TENSION
    It's a French horror film. OMG. Don't worry if you don't like subtitles. You won't need them. There isn't much dialogue.

Also, HOSTEL scared the bejeezus out of me. I'm more scared of real people doing messed up things than I am of paranormal or monsters.
    I write sexy books. I read all the books. I love dresses & macarons.

image image image 
    image image image
  • In high school, The Ring (watched it in the theater on Halloween- worst decision ever) and The Blair Witch Project scared me.  Even though The Blair Witch Project was poorly made and obviously fake, I lived in a rural area surrounded by the woods and I just remember being terrified to walk to my car if it was dark outside. 
    Books Read in 2016: 4/50