Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Me and my dad don't get along.?

I'm 15 now and I'm growing more and more distant from my dad. My mom and I have a good relationship, but me and my dad's personalities clash. I find he's insecure, and my mom has told me that he is sensitive. He takes out his anger (verbally) onto other people from his job. He works at home. 

At times I think I'm doing nothing wrong at he'll just be angry with me. First time I started to realize this was age 8, when we were on a trip as a family. We were playing shuffleboard and I was on my dad's team, vs my mom and brother. My dad was taking a while to shoot so I sat on a low branch from a tree close by. When he was done shooting he called me a bitch for not being there on time to shoot. He was very angry and it scared me. 
  He does this to my mom and my brother too, but there personalities more or less brush it off. I can't stand it. 
  For instance, he just knocked on my door, and said "Can I come in?' I said, "What?" (not in a mean way) and my dad comes in and says "Are you serious?! I can't believe what a rude person you are," And leaves.

I'm starting to become more uncomfortable around him and distant. What should I do?

Re: Me and my dad don't get along.?

• Wow, I'm really sorry your dad treats you that way. It's not okay, and you shouldn't have to brush it off. He's not "sensitive" as your mom puts it, he's aggressive and has a bad temper. Do you think you could tell him, or your mom, how that kind of talk makes you feel? That it's scary and unfair? Maybe at family counseling, where there would be a neutral person there? If you don't go to counseling and your dad keeps treating you like this, I don't blame you for feeling distant and uncomfortable. I think professional help would be good, to get your family communicating in a healthy way.
  •   I'm 15 now and I'm growing more and more distant from my dad. My mom and I have a good relationship, but me and my dad's personalities clash. I find he's insecure, and my mom has told me that he is sensitive. He takes out his anger (verbally) onto other people from his job. He works at home.

Sorry, but "sensitive" does not mean somebody can be crass, vulgar, rude, abrasive and mean.

Is he his own boss? And if he is, how in the world does he keep a customer or employees???

I worked for a guy who was like this and it was not a pleasant experience for any of us.

At times I think I'm doing nothing wrong at he'll just be angry with me. First time I started to realize this was age 8, when we were on a trip as a family. We were playing shuffleboard and I was on my dad's team, vs my mom and brother. My dad was taking a while to shoot so I sat on a low branch from a tree close by. When he was done shooting he called me a bitch for not being there on time to shoot. He was very angry and it scared me.

What this is is verbal abuse. Your dad has problems and he needs anger management problems.

If I was your mom, I'd take you (and the rest of the kids, if applicable) and leave him. This is no kind of an environment for anybody.

He does this to my mom and my brother too, but there personalities more or less brush it off. I can't stand it.

For instance, he just knocked on my door, and said "Can I come in?' I said, "What?" (not in a mean way) and my dad comes in and says "Are you serious?! I can't believe what a rude person you are," And leaves.

I'm starting to become more uncomfortable around him and distant. What should I do?

I second professional help for you. Your father hasn't got any right to talk to anyone like that.