Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

WIALT: 1776 by David McCullough

You guys, the more I learn about the American Revolution, the more awestruck I am by the whole thing.  The Continental Army had no training, a commander who was a farmer that had never commanded, the generals were practically kids with no training other than what they read in books, and the soldiers were ununiformed, underpaid, unhealthy, untrained, and grossly outnumbered.  They had no cavalry, they barely had any horses, and not enough food, clothing, or military supplies, and no navy.  They faced the biggest and best army and navy in the world, and they won.  Holy crap. 

Having read Chernow's Washington: A Life and McCullough's John Adams, a lot of this book is a retelling of what I've already read, but I still can't help but be blown away.  Also, I really love McCullough's writing.  He's so good at bringing these 200+ year old characters to life, and making the whole story so much more real and relevant than in any history books I was ever made to read in school.  I wish he was my grandpa.
aggiebug

Re: WIALT: 1776 by David McCullough

• I'm reading Washington: A Life and am feeling the same way; however, Chernow makes it seem that several times, it could have ended with a British victory had they been more aggressive.
    my read shelf:
    Jayne's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SusieBWSusieBW member
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    jaynebee said:
    I'm reading Washington: A Life and am feeling the same way; however, Chernow makes it seem that several times, it could have ended with a British victory had they been more aggressive.
    Totally.  I think the British completely underestimated what they were dealing with, and with the condition that the Continental Army was in throughout the war, that was probably a reasonable reaction for them to have.  The Revolution was never ensured - it was tenuous from start to finish, and no one acknowledged that more than Washington himself.  I feel like that makes the whole thing that much more impressive.

I thought Washington: A Life was a great book.  Are you enjoying it?
    jaynebee
  • I've had 1776 on my TBR for ever.  History was one of my majors in college, yet I still feel like I know almost nothing about the revolutionary war. For my American history I focused a lot on the civil war, and therefore just didn't have a lot of space for others.  I regret that now.  

Anyway, this has encouraged me to try to dive in sooner. How is the audiobook?  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Savanna Funkhouser's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• SusieBWSusieBW member

Anyway, this has encouraged me to try to dive in sooner. How is the audiobook?  
    I'm really enjoying it!  I'm about 1/2 through.  It's read by the author, which is always nice.
  • I got this at al library sale earlier this year. Looking forward to reading it- even moreso after your review! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

SusieBW
  • I can't believe how much I am enjoying Washington!  I really want to do the Pres challenge and thought it would take me forever to read this, but it's been great.  It will take a while to finish, but mostly because of the length, not the content, nor writing!
    my read shelf:
    Jayne's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SusieBW
  • SusieBWSusieBW member

jaynebee said:
    I can't believe how much I am enjoying Washington!  I really want to do the Pres challenge and thought it would take me forever to read this, but it's been great.  It will take a while to finish, but mostly because of the length, not the content, nor writing!
    ITA, I was pleasantly surprised by how well-written and easy to read it was.  It took me a little over a month to get through, but like you said, that was because of the length, not the content or writing.  I just don't have as much time to read as I might like.  McCullough's John Adams was even better, I think.  That's as far as I've gotten in the Pres Challenge, though.  Thomas Jefferson is waiting in the wings to read after I finish 1776.  I think listening to this and read that at the same time would be too much all at once!  I've decided the Pres Challenge is going to be a life-long endeavor for me, and I'm happy if I read about 3 presidents a year.
  • Jen748Jen748 member
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    I LOVE DM, and this book was fascinating to me too!
    Sammie born 04/23/09 (Peanut allergy)
    Emmett born 01/28/2013

2015 Books Read 3 * 2014 Books Read: 151
    2013 Books Read: 90 * 2012 Books Read: 125
    2011 Books Read: 150  * 2010 Books Read: 117

Jennie Writes Words ~~~ We Still Read ~~~ Presidential Challenge
    SusieBW