Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Cease and desist letter to mother

I plan to send the below letter certified mail, restricted delivery and maintain a copy of the letter and mail receipt for my records. I was told the police can do the same and I can pursue legal action if I am contacted again... I sent a similar letter last year (not certified) requesting all communication to stop and have since relocated and changed all my contact information yet, my mother persists in contacting me at my new home and place of employment. I am due with my first child in early June and am fearful of being contacted again as she said herself she "cannot control her emotions," and has proven to be quite unstable.

This CEASE AND DESIST ORDER is to inform you that your persistent actions including but not limited to sending unsolicited gifts, cards, mail, etc. to my home and place of employment have become intolerable. You are ORDERED TO STOP such activities immediately as they are being done in violation of the law. I have the right to remain free from these activities as they constitute harassment and stalking, and I will pursue legal remedies if these activities continue. This letter acts as your final warning to discontinue this unwanted conduct before I pursue legal actions. (at the bottome of the letter I will put "cc: file, police")

Do you think any other action is needed, or is this clear enough this time? Many thanks!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Re: Cease and desist letter to mother

• I don't think the CC part is necessary. If you were advised by legal counsel or the police that this is the correct procedure, then move forward with it.
  • I don't know if a "Cease and desist" law even exists any more.

Yu are probably better off simply telling her, "Dear Mom: Kindly cease from contacting me, be it in person, electronically or via any other means. If you do, you will be legally liable thereforeafter."

Sign your name, date it and send it certified mail, signature required.

And if she contacts you after she gets the letter, make this a legal matter. HTH.
  • I don't know what brought this on...but...

I can tell you if your end game is a restraining order (if needed)...keep all communication documented either electronically or even in a notebook you can use in the future. It's not easy to get a restraining order, or even a PPO, if you don't have documentation of harassment. Even a notebook full of dates and times mostly (not necessarily completely) backed up with call/text/email proof can be very helpful.

I don't know if you're in the right to say her attempts at contact are in violation of the law. Maybe that her attempts at contact are in violation of your right to a peaceful existence. 

I have found in the past that knowing your rights and what you need to do to legally support those rights is very helpful. See if there is free legal counsel in your area to help you word your letter correctly. 

Good luck!
    Tofumonkey