Getting Pregnant
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Mirena birth control pregnancy?

I need some help! I have had Mirena in since April 2012 (almost 2 years now) and I have had a somewhat regular period since then. I have really strong symptoms every month (strong cramping, irritability, and cravings.) My last period was 12/9/13 and I had some spotting on 12/22/13. My husband and I had unprotected sex at the beginning of January and about two weeks ago.

Last week I was very irritable, I had some really small minor cramping, I cried every single day all week long, I snapped at my husband, but then I'd turn around and be all loving and romantic with him. Today I started noticing that my lower back was sore and that I was almost a week late for my period, my breasts are really tender, I've had heightened smell, headaches, and I have been exhausted this week. I have not had any cramping or anything which is usually how I know my period is on it's way... I took an early pregnancy test and it was negative, but I'm still worried. I know it's hard to get pregnant on Mirena, but I also know that it's possible.. I'm just wondering if anyone else had any of this happen when they had Mirena and what I should do from here! I plan on taking another test if I don't get my period by February 7th.. I guess maybe I just need some peace of mind that I'm not crazy! 

Re: Mirena birth control pregnancy?

• I'm not familiar with Mirena, so I don't have any specific advice there.  However, if you took a pregnancy test and it was negative, you're not pregnant.

dx:  Unexplained IF (mild MFI)

TTC since May 2011, 1 year trying, and then 3 TI, 2 IUI = BFN

IVF #1 (May 2013):  Antagonist Protocol: 
    24R, 18M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 2 early blasts, no frosties = BFN
    IVF #2 (August 2013):  Lupron Stop Protocol: 
    28R, 23M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 1 partially hatched blast, 7 frosties = BFP
    EDD 5/23/14, blighted ovum (6w6d), D&C (8w6d)
    FET #1 (April 2014):  transferred 2 5d blasts = BFP

C.J. born 01/09/15

image image
    cinderin
  • I'm sorry your body is giving mixed signals, but you've done all you can. Just keep testing and if you're particularly worried, call your doctor. We can't tell you anything your pregancy test didn't.

my read shelf:
    Sarah (mrs.vedo)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't have personal experience with Mirena, my SIL did use it. She complained often of irregularity with periods and with having pregnancy-like symptoms, but never was while on the Mirena.

You can keep testing if you like, if you are really concern, make an appointment with your doctor. 
    DX: 6/2012 PCOS  TTC: 6/2013  BFP: 9/6/2013  Attempt Natural m/c: 10/29/2013 D&C: 2/20/2014
    BFP 2: 7/7/2014 Beta 7/8: 115, Beta 7/12: 638, Beta 7/16: 3793, Beta 7/21: 21,625

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nope. Hasn't happened to me. 

Baby Boy born 5.3.15

• It is always possible to get pregnant while using birth control. Unlikely, but possible. Technically speaking you and your DH never have unprotected sex unless you pull your IUD out when you have sex.
    spin25cinderin
  • I had very simliar symptoms when my body was adjusting to totally stopping my period. After I was on it for about 6 months, my periods got lighter and eventually stopped completly. My hormones were a little wacky for another 6 months or so, but only around the time my period would normally be.

My dr reccommended taking a cheapy pregnancy test at the end of each month I didnt get my period, just for my own peace of mind. I didnt because I know the very slim chances, but when I had more obvious hormonal changes I would just in case.

lfk2013
  • I'm not familiar with Mirena, so I don't have any specific advice there.  However, if you took a pregnancy test and it was negative, you're not pregnant.
    This.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • You took a pregnancy test. No one here can tell you something different. If you're really that concerned, call your doctor. It's entirely possibly to stop having periods with IUDs; the length of time can vary person to person.
    image image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since July 2012
    BFP #1: 11/9/13; spontaneous m/c at 6w2d, 11/25/13
    BFP #2: 12/31/13. B/w 12/31: betas >1000, progesterone 13.6; B/w 1/2: betas 3065, progesterone 10.2
    B/w 1/8: betas 17,345, progesterone 25.6
    Progesterone suppositories started 1/2. Please stick, baby!!
    Fiona Elise born 9/9/14 - welcome beautiful girl!
    Badge Unicorn
    cinderin
  • Flamingo86Flamingo86 member
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Mirena can stop your period as well as cause the other symptoms you mentioned. If you had a - test you are most certainly not pregnant. Talk to your dr If you're worried about side effects.

Married August 2009

3 years. 5 losses.

Our rainbow baby boy born 11.16.15

• Im on the Skyla which is the 3 year version of the Mirena. Ive had mine in for almost 1 year and just this past month Ive had extremely long periods. I used to be 4 days and done now its almost a week and a half to two weeks. It might be a side effect. I agree with everyone else though, if you took a pregnancy test and it was negative then thats all you can do. Call you doctor. Good Luck!
    M/MC on 6/2010
    DS: 12/19/2011

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker