Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Has anyone ran a background check before?? Looking for a legit web site.

My sister has found a guy online, and the things he is telling her is not adding up. Plus she has three kids that she has him around. He says he's from Michigan and is a teacher, but he's now in Iowa job less?? Plus he has kids why would he move to Iowa for no reason? Please let me know of a good web site to do a check on him.

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Has anyone ran a background check before?? Looking for a legit web site.

• Does she want to run the background check or are you taking it upon yourself to do this?

Tread very lightly here, this could blow up in your face.

• She gave me his full name and dob and told me find out what I can. Even if she didn't give me the OK I wouldn't care what bashing I got!! I don't need anyone's approval I'm just asking for some help, if your going to blow up don't bother, I wouldn't care!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ditto PP.  Be careful.

I work with kids and the organization used the National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI) for background checks.  They need a social security number plus name and address history for the last 5 years.

I don't know if the general public can use them or not...

• Ugh, you should never let a dude meet your kids until you're talking marriage or something.  Kids don't need to be introduced to every BF you get - that's really harmful and confusing for them.  That's really crappy on her part.
  • I agree her kids shouldn't be around him but it's to late now. I think now she is thinking maybe I should check this guy out, which she should have done before he was around her kids. I'm not here to start flames just here for help if anyone has ever did a background check.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah... no one here is flaming you, we are just giving you advice.  Relax with the attitude.
  • You could start by checking the public records in your state.  Look for the website of your states Court Administrator (or just google a public records search).  You should be able to look up every paper filed with the courts, which would show any prior charges brought, divorces, etc. 

Sorry I can't help you more.  Have you tried doing an internet search of his name?  Sometimes you can find interesting things that way.

TTC since January 2010
    BFP 5/9/10. U/S - no heartbeat 6/2/10 (7 weeks). Induced miscarriage 6/7/10.
    Chemical pregnancies 12/2/10, 1/3/11, and 2/7/11.
    dx: RPL due to poor quality uterine lining; begin progesterone January 2011
    BFP 3/10/11. EDD 11/19/11. E arrived 11/15/11!

Loss Blog | Life Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Better than a background check:

Trusting your gut.

It never fails.

If it doesn't add up then something stinks on ice.

• image TarponMonoxide:

Better than a background check:

Trusting your gut.

It never fails.

If it doesn't add up then something stinks on ice.

Ditto.  If you have to do a background check this late in the game, don't you think the relationship is already done???  She doesn't need a "good" reason to dump him.  She can just because she has a feeling.

• Yeah, a creepy feeling is MORE than enough reason to dump someone, whether founded or not.  You should never date someone on whom you feel like you need to do a background check.
  • Ditto everyone else.?

But since you WANT to find info on this guy, you can look up his teaching license through the state he's licensed in. Some states have this info online (for free, public record through the state licensing dept or department of education etc). If not, you can the state and find out if he is, indeed, a licensed teacher. ?

• Yeah, I really think that if there is a need for a background check, the relationship is doomed.  Either he truly is a creep, or he's gonna find out she didn't trust him. 

I'm thinking he's a creep.  Again... trust your gut. 

• Look up the BCA website for your state.  All you need is the full name and birthdate.
  • You can find some stuff on spock.com sometimes. Check there. Otherwise, I agree with everyone about checking public records/court records/etc. My state has a really easy one to access. Some states require searching, but it's doable if you're willing to put a little time in the search.
    Books read in 2012: 49
    my bookshelf!
    Katie (gingerfeathers)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Bloggy
  • image andersonll2002:

She gave me his full name and dob and told me find out what I can. Even if she didn't give me the OK I wouldn't care what bashing I got!! I don't need anyone's approval I'm just asking for some help, if your going to blow up don't bother, I wouldn't care!

I think she meant that your Sister could get really mad if you ran a check with out her knowing, not that people are going to blow up on here.

I know in CA you can check for teaching credentials.  Even though he has moved if his license is still good you should be able to check that.  Go to the states Dept. of Ed.  In CA you only need a name to look up a credential.  You could also Google the name + state or city.

Other than that I think you would have a hard time getting a "professional" check with out something like a social.  With just a name you might end up with info about someone else with the same name.

• You can contact a private investigator. Ditto pps a social would be helpful. Also just b/c someone doesnt have a criminal record it doesnt mean they are an upstanding citizen- it just means they havent been caught. If she has these doubts she needs to cut him off asap.
  • OH- my H is a pi and even when they have proof a guy is a cheating, lying, criminal, and general sack of crap the girl that hires them often gets mad, or makes excuses for the guy and stays with him.
  • image PaperDollPrincess:

Yeah, I really think that if there is a need for a background check, the relationship is doomed.? Either he truly is a creep, or he's gonna find out she didn't trust him.?

I'm thinking he's a creep.? Again... trust your gut.?

I was going to say the same exact thing.?

Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The first step should be the Michigan Dept of Education's website:

https://mdoe.state.mi.us/teachercert/

If he's a teacher, then he should have a teaching license.  Licenses are valid for a couple years, so even if he has left Michigan, Michigan should still have a record of him (provided, of course, that he was actually a teacher). 

Iowa has a similar site: http://www.iowa.gov/boee/search_warn.html

As far as the rest of the info you might want, try searching for courts' websites in those states (often the records are maintained on a county-by-county level), then search for criminal and civil cases involving him.

But yeah, if you have to run a background check, the relationship is pretty much doomed.  Trust that gut reaction.

• You should also check the sex offender registries in Michigan, Iowa, and any other place that you think that he might have lived, if you think there is any chance that he has been involved with any of that sort of activity.

The Michigan state site is located at http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/.

The Iowa site is located at http://www.iowasexoffender.com/.

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2agujx0.jpg[/IMG]

Welcome to my dojo.
  • criminalsearches.com is a free criminal background check site.  I went on it for fun when I heard about it.  I found all of my sister's traffic violations :)

It's nice b/c you will find out information for multiple states at once, BUT, not all states report to it, and some states report some things but not others (for example, not all states report traffic violations, but AZ does). It also gives known aliases.

If your sister gives you a chance to discuss this again, I would definitely delve into the whole "if you're skeeved out by the guy, maybe you should not (1) have him around your kids, or (2) be around him yourself" thing.  

Good luck! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here's what I would do:

1) Figure out what county he used to live in.  Check that county's website for the various clerks of courts.  Check Domestic Relations, Common Pleas, and Municipal.  Check the Michigan Department of Education to see if they have a list of teachers, and whether or not that list indicates whether a teacher is in good standing.  If he does have a valid teaching certificate, and if she can figure out where he used to work, she can probably read through the School Board's meeting minutes, which could offer some indication as to whether he resigned or was fired and whether this was a budget issue or something else.  She can probably also do a basic newspaper search from his previous local paper to verify whether he left due to some major scandal.  I'd also glance through the sex offender website for the zip code that he currently resides in and the zip code that he used to reside in.  Somewhere in there, it might also be useful to check his driving record at the BMV, if they have an "unofficial" search.