GP Moms
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Pump - - What do you use?

I know this question has been discussed multiple times, but I suck at searching past posts and can't find them.

I got in touch with my insurance company to see what breast pumps are offered and was told the below are free:

- Hygeia Q Breast Pump with Tote Bag
- Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump Shoulder Strap Bag
- Medela Advanced Personal Double Pump
- Limerick PJ's Bliss Electric Breast Pump
- The First Years Breastflow miPump Double Pump

I can also, through one of the companies, upgrade (with a cost to me and DH) to one of these:

- Medela Pump in Style (under $100 OOP to us)
- Medela Freestyle (under $200 OOP to us)
- Dr. Brown's Double Electric Breast Pump (not sure of OOP cost to us)

What do you use and do you like it?  If you had the option to switch, would you?  I've heard great things about Medela, but I wasn't sure which model.  Most insurances only cover the Advanced.  Thoughts??  I can order mine as soon as our new insurance kicks in tomorrow.
My Chart
My Goodreads Read Shelf

* After 22 months and 2 failed IUIs, we finally got our BFP *
DS delivered naturally at 41w6d on 4/18/14
* TTC #2  March 2015 *

Re: Pump - - What do you use?

• I have the Medela Freestyle and love it!  I haven't had any problems with it, and I wouldn't switch to anything else.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    monkey1018
  • The biggest difference between the Advanced Personal Double and the PISA is the PISA is a two cycle, which helps pump more milk faster, so as a full time working mom I would prefer the PISA. I've also heard it has more suction.
    Married 7/04 LO#1 9/13 LO#2 12/15
  • I have the avent, but I borrowed a Pisa while I got a replacement pump. I liked the Pisa but I hated that you couldn't take it out of the bag.
    B Born 6.27.13
  • @JennaHack, what is the process for purchasing your pump? Can you buy it anywhere or do you have to buy it through a certain store? I'm just curious because I need to start researching this myself soon.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC #1 since July 2012

Cycles 1-9: BFN
    Cycle 10: Surprise BFP on 10/17/2013!
    EDD: June 25, 2014
    Baby Girl born via induction June 26, 2014

My TTC Journey Blog

• @Uptowngirl2009 - I just called my insurance carrier and talked with them.  I'll have Aetna starting tomorrow and the woman I spoke with was great and told me everything I need to know.  With them, I have four different medical companies I can work with to get my pump.  All of them work the same way.  I just order it through their website or call them to order and they work it all out on the back-end with Aetna.  If I end up going with the upgrades, I still order it the same way and just have to pay the difference.

Just give your insurance company a call and they should point you in the right direction.
    My Chart
    My Goodreads Read Shelf

* TTC #2  March 2015 *

Uptowngirl2009
  • I have the Avent, obviously I haven't used it yet, but I think it will work out well. It isn't terribly loud and I love that it came with a bag.

I also purchased a single pump made by Evenflo to use when traveling and at work. I got it on clearance at Target (the box was sealed). I haven't opened it yet.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• LittleLady77LittleLady77 member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    I ended up getting the Medela Pump in style. Clearly I have no experience with it yet but three of my good friends recommended it to me. I also got a single hand pump "in case of emergencies".

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    [Deleted User]
  • Thanks @JennaHack. I'm planning on calling my insurance company here soon and at least getting my questions answered.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC #1 since July 2012

Cycles 1-9: BFN
    Cycle 10: Surprise BFP on 10/17/2013!
    EDD: June 25, 2014
    Baby Girl born via induction June 26, 2014

My TTC Journey Blog

• @LittleLady77 - Oh yeah!  I have a manual pump on my registry, too.
    My Chart
    My Goodreads Read Shelf

* TTC #2  March 2015 *

• I have the Hygeia Enjoye and I like it but it's really loud! I used a Medela Symphony at work and didn't realize how loud my at home pump was until I started using the Medela. With that said, I like my pump, and have used the crap out of it lately.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

“You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control"
    - Gayle Forman
    "People talk about escapism as if it's a bad thing... Once you've escaped, once you come back, the world is not the same as when you left it. You come back to it with skills, weapons, knowledge you didn't have before. Then you are better equipped to deal with your current reality."
    - Neil Gaiman

Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• And honestly, I think you'll hear that we each like the pump we have since most of us haven't used anything else. The pumps out there now are mostly pretty comparable and you'll just have to pick one. I made the choice a lot harder than it should be and ended up going with the one that would allow me to get the pump before I actually delivered. :)

My new bff Gayle Forman!

“You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control"
    - Gayle Forman
    "People talk about escapism as if it's a bad thing... Once you've escaped, once you come back, the world is not the same as when you left it. You come back to it with skills, weapons, knowledge you didn't have before. Then you are better equipped to deal with your current reality."
    - Neil Gaiman

Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

[Deleted User]
  • I have the Medela Advanced.  I rented a Medela Symphony at first, as the Advance was on backorder.  Once I switched, I noticed no difference in pumping output.  

Anniversary

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I have the Ameda Purely Yours, since it was free through insurance, and I like it. If they had offered the Medela I may have gone with that instead, but I like my Ameda. The only thing I don't like is mine didn't come with a bag.

FWIW, my nurse at the hospital said Medela is her #1 recommendation, followed closely by Ameda.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would get the Medela model covered by your insurance. You don't know how much you will even use it and I'd hate for you to spend that extra money when the Medela Advanced is probably just as good as the PIS.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
    [Deleted User]
  • I hear medela recommended most but I saw no difference in output between mine and the medela.
    B Born 6.27.13
  • I have the Medela Freestyle and love it!  I haven't had any problems with it, and I wouldn't switch to anything else.

This is what we use also.

http://www#littlepinktag#blogspot#com/

**TC Buddy Tygress_Luv111908**

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I bought the Medela PISA when I had Delilah and loved it (as much as you can love a pump). This time around I got the Ameda purely yours because that's what insurance covered. I used it for three weeks and went back to my Medela. There's a few features I like in the Medela like the button that goes through the let down phase that I prefer.

.image

• Ladies, thank you so much for all of your input.  I greatly appreciate it!  :)
    My Chart
    My Goodreads Read Shelf

* TTC #2  March 2015 *