Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

WIJFR: Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War

Kasi80Kasi80 member
5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary
edited December 2013 in Nest Book Club
It's been a long long time since I have been around here.  I recently started posting again.

I finished reading Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War the other day.  For anyone into war-type books I highly recommend it.  

The book starts off slow as you get to know the characters.  The main character is a lieutenant in the Marine Corps and is new to war.  It covers his experience as well as the men he leads.  You see his character grow from a scared college boy to a badass.  You get to know this guy really well.  

It's war and there's a lot of sitting around doing nothing while you wait for stuff to hit the fan in the beginning of the book.  The author takes this time to introduce many of the characters and let you get a feel for the environment.  There's a lot of detail that may or may not make sense.  A lot of acronyms are used (the back of the book has a glossary to help with that) and I struggled to get into the book at first for the reasons mentioned.  Patience and a hope that the book would pick up got me through.  

Once the shiz hits the fan the book really picks up and grips you.  The author details the feelings of the Marines, the environment, and the fatigue of war so well that you end up deeply immersed into this story.  You get the ups and downs of their lives during that time.  There are gory parts, sad parts, funny parts, and action-packed parts of this book.  If you are into war type books this is a good one for sure.  Its not a true story but the author was a Marine grunt lieutenant during the Vietnam war so he has pretty good insight and first-hand knowledge on this subject matter.     

CRAFTY ME 

my read shelf:
Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: WIJFR: Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War

• I have this one at home but haven't read it yet.  But I have read "What It is Like to Go to War" by the same author.
    90 books in 2015?
  • I haven't read that one yet.  I need to add it to my list.  Headed to check it out on Goodreads.  Matterhorn is a monster of a book and it took me awhile to get through but mainly because the beginning was slow.

CRAFTY ME 

my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)