August 2006 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Foodies: Dumpling Recipe?

DH attempted to make chicken soup with dumplings, it was terrible. I have found a chicken stew recipe, the blogger said the cornmeal dumplings that was with the original recipe wasn't very good.

I am looking for some way to have a good dumpling with my chicken stew - it would make DH so very happy. So recipes I have seen say take a can of philsbury bisquits, cut up the dough and drop in the soup for dumplings but I'm not too confident in that - anyone have any ideas for a tasty dumpling?

Slainte!
my read shelf:
Jenni (jenniloveselvis)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Foodies: Dumpling Recipe?

• Maybe epicurious.com came to the rescue!

Herb Dumplings

• 2/3 cup whole milk
    • 2 large eggs
    • 3 tablespoons minced chives
    • 2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley
    • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
    • 4 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt

Whisk milk and eggs in medium bowl to blend. Stir in chives and parsley. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl. Add milk mixture. Stir just until blended. Makes 12 dough balls, drop on top of simmering stew / soup. Cover tightly and simmer until tester shows dumplings done.

Slainte!
    my read shelf:
    Jenni (jenniloveselvis)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • That recipe looks great. I know my dad has a great plain dumpling recipe... let me know if you want me to get it from him.
  • That would be awesome. I showed DH the herb dumplings and he said he would be willing to try them but I think he had his heart set on plain dumplings.
    Slainte!
    my read shelf:
  • Cool. I will call my dad this afternoon.

• Ok, earlier than I said I would, but here's dad's dumpling recipe (he doesn't exactly measure, so they're his estimates).

Dumplings

1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon margarine
    1/2 cup milk

Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in medium size bowl. Cut in butter. Stir in milk to make a soft dough. 

Drop by spoonfuls into boiling stew. Use a regular table spoon to do this. Cover and simmer 15 minutes without lifting lid.

***Notes - Dad says that the temp. of the butter doesn't matter.

By "drop by spoonfuls" he means to actually put the spoon in the broth with dumpling goo on it... after a second or two, with a little wiggle, the dumpling should separate from the spoon.

• awesome! Thanks so much! I am so excited to make chicken stew and dumplings for DH this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed!
    Slainte!
    my read shelf:
  • so how much butter is called for?
  • Crap, sorry. About 3-4 TBSP.