Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

NBR: Regional Food

13»

Re: NBR: Regional Food

• alithebridealithebride member
    Tenth Anniversary 10000 Comments Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    oh wow there are tons! real pizza, real bagels, more fresh fish that i can write, wine from our vineyards out east, beer from all of our breweries, frankfurters from nathans, cheesecake,. .....
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • GeekywifeGeekywife member
    500 Comments 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    I am from southern california and here you want to go to the real mexican places (don't even step a foot in a chain) In and Out, and based on my sister's request every time she came home from texas Carl's Jr.

In CA in general I would say you need to stop to taste the wine from the napa area, some sourdough from San Francisco, and some chocolate from Ghirardelli's Chocolate. So basically the food available in the Pacific Wharf area of Disney California Adventure.
    Anniversary
  • CT- Steamed cheeseburgers. Guy Fieri even came and had them on Diners Drive-ins and Dives. The area I live in also has amazing Polish and Italian food... Paczki and hot Italian grinders. Mmmmm There are also a TON of apple orchards, so have an apple for dessert :)
    I am also in CT, but we just moved here from NYC so i have no idea what the regional food is :) But yes I totally agree about the apples!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • sneetches said:
    Minnesota. You'd have to try porchetta (fennel and garlic spiced pork), poticia (walnut and honey dessert), and pasties (meat and vegetable pies) 

I'm also from Minnesota, and I have never heard of porchetta or poticia. I've heard of pasties, but I've never had one. Funny! I'll have to find these things now.

I would say one of the main staples in Minnesota is walleye. It's on most menus, and it seems to always be the "Special" of the evening.

Of course, there are the "hotdishes". Any kind of hotdish/casserole is the best comfort food around!

image.
  • Miami. Any Cuban cuisine, really. I'm biased.
    imageimage

My Badges:
    image imageimageimageimageimage imageimage image image imageimage image image imageimageimageimageimage image image                       

• sneetches said:

Minnesota. You'd have to try porchetta (fennel and garlic spiced pork), poticia (walnut and honey dessert), and pasties (meat and vegetable pies) 

I'm also from Minnesota, and I have never heard of porchetta or poticia. I've heard of pasties, but I've never had one. Funny! I'll have to find these things now.

I would say one of the main staples in Minnesota is walleye. It's on most menus, and it seems to always be the "Special" of the evening.

Of course, there are the "hotdishes". Any kind of hotdish/casserole is the best comfort food around!

When we went to Minnesota we were told we HAD to try the Walleye. We were in Warroad, in the middle of nowhere on the Canadian boarder. When we were in Minneapolis though, we had porchetta.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary 

Books Read in 2014: 10 
  • shellmh said:

CT- Steamed cheeseburgers. Guy Fieri even came and had them on Diners Drive-ins and Dives.

The area I live in also has amazing Polish and Italian food... Paczki and hot Italian grinders. Mmmmm There are also a TON of apple orchards, so have an apple for dessert :)

shellmh said:

I am also in CT, but we just moved here from NYC so i have no idea what the regional food is :) But yes I totally agree about the apples!

Where in CT? There are a couple of us and we get together a lot... We can let you know next time, if you're interested :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary 

Books Read in 2014: 10 
  • RevJen said:
    GilliC said:
    I'm also from Indiana. I finally learned how to make my own breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches here at home.

Have you all seen this?

As for Norway, I would pick either smoked salmon (I've seen Norwegians eat smoked salmon for three meals in one day) or reindeer with lingonberries. If you're more adventurous, try the brown cheese. Or whale.
    What's brown cheese?
    @RevJen It's a sweet cheese, usually made from goat's milk. It tastes kind of like a cross between mild cheese and caramel. A lot of people eat it on waffles or use it for open-faced sandwiches for lunch or breakfast.
    (Check out the "tunnel fire" section. That happened. We had a highway tunnel closed for days because of a flaming cheese truck. This country cracks me up!)

For the record, I think the taste is actually okay once you know what to expect, but I find that it as a very dry mouth feel, so I don't eat it very often even when I could get it any day as part of our lunch at work.
  • RevJen said:
    Taylor ham.  I'm from NNJ and we call it by the right name.  :o)  Not pork roll but taylor ham.  :o)  The best breakfast meat of them all.  

DH is from NJ, hes obsessed with Taylor Ham. We were shocked to find it here in TX.