Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Series endings (ns) - Were there good ones?

With all the Allegiant bashing, it has me thinking that it seems like series always seem to go downhill from the first book.  I didn't hate Allegiant but I think it was the weakest of the three books.  Same with the Delirium series. 

Do we have such high expectations that we are let down when subsequent books aren't as good as the first?  Off the top of my head I can't think of any series where I could say I LOVED the way the author ended it.

Thoughts?

Books read in 2009: 112
Books read in 2010: 153
Books read in 2011: 160
Books read in 2012: 134
Books read in 2013: 110
Books read in 2014: 151
Books read in 2015: 153
Books read in 2016: 31

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/1zWJm6.png
<a href="//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" style="height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medi

Re: Series endings (ns) - Were there good ones?

• Perfect Fifths is my least favorite of the Jessica Darling books, but I love the way the series ended. I also loved the way the Seven Realms series concluded. 

I wrote this! 
  • The Crimson Crown.  Final book of the Seven Realms series.  Loved it.
    75 Books in 2015?

photo OutlanderMafia.jpg  
    It's slippery as waterweed.
    EliStarCeeCeeSugaPie
  • Perfect Fifths is my least favorite of the Jessica Darling books, but I love the way the series ended. I also loved the way the Seven Realms series concluded. 
    I remember you saying that.  I never read the fifth one because I struggled through 4.

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

<a href="//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" style="height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medi
  • packfan20 said:
    Perfect Fifths is my least favorite of the Jessica Darling books, but I love the way the series ended. I also loved the way the Seven Realms series concluded. 
    I remember you saying that.  I never read the fifth one because I struggled through 4.
    The 5th is super short; you'll breeze right through it. 

I wrote this! 
  • Deathly Hallows. 

I was going to say Crimson Crown. 

Shadowfever (even though we've recently learned that she's adding more books)

I loved how Mockingkay ended. Thought it was perfect. 

image image
              Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

nocturnalintimacyCeeCeeSugaPiesweetrhythmsNanna
  • EliStar said:
    Deathly Hallows. 

I completely agree with these!
    My Chart
    My Goodreads Read Shelf

* After 22 months and 2 failed IUIs, we finally got our BFP *
    DS delivered naturally at 41w6d on 4/18/14
    * TTC #2  March 2015 *

Mrs.GinTN
  • I agree with the Seven Realms series and Harry Potter.  

But I think Mockingjay was terrible.
    90 books in 2015?
    RiverPlate
  • I liked Shadowfever, but I felt like I still had questions.
    75 Books in 2015?

photo OutlanderMafia.jpg  
  • I liked how the Shiver series ended.
    My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.
    dmlk413
  • AshleyT121AshleyT121 member
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 250 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2013
    Both the Harry Potter series and the Hunger Games trilogy ended perfectly in my opinion.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Mrs.GinTNsweetrhythms
  • MrsJenE said:

Are we all in agreement that Breaking Dawn was amazing?

The best EVAR.

/sarcasmfont 

image image
              Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

MrsC7
  • Harry Potter

Actually I can think of several fantasy series that ended well - several series by David Eddings, Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, Lord of the Rings.

~ G ~ 10/2008
    ~ E ~ 7/2010
    ~ A ~ 3/2014
  • What about the Narnia series?
    image image
    Izzy and Baby A ~ Adorable Punks
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would say out of all the ones I've read only Harry Potter..

Nicolle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• JennaHack said:
    EliStar said:
    Deathly Hallows. 

I completely agree with these!
    Same here.

• Oh, ditto LOTR. That was a fantastic ending.

I wrote this! 
    RevJen
  • I totally agree with LOTR.

90 books in 2015?
  • Deathly Hallows
    Mockingjay
    Perfect Fifths

Loved all of these. I know it technically wasn't a 'series' but I loved Where She Went as a follow up to If I Stay. I thought it was perfect.

ETA: I tend to love Nora Roberts trilogies too. I never love one story more than the other, they all seem to work together perfectly somehow. I wish I could a little of her gift to rub off on me.

YES!  I reread it at least once a year.  It never gets old.
    75 Books in 2015?

photo OutlanderMafia.jpg  
  • This thread has me even more excited to keep reading the Seven Realms series!  I'm almost done with the first one now, and I'm really enjoying it.

Also, Mockingjay was my favorite in the Hunger Games series, so I liked the ending of that one.  I'm pretty sure I also really liked the way that Jessica Darling ended.
  • Deathly Hallows
    Mockingjay
    Perfect Fifths

Loved all of these. I know it technically wasn't a 'series' but I loved Where She Went as a follow up to If I Stay. I thought it was perfect.

ETA: I tend to love Nora Roberts trilogies too. I never love one story more than the other, they all seem to work together perfectly somehow. I wish I could a little of her gift to rub off on me.

Ditto to this!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I really liked "Light", the final book of the "Gone" series by Michael Grant.
  • Deathly Hallows, for sure. 

Mockingjay went off the deep end for me. I just pretend like the series ended with Catching Fire. 

I remember really liking The Sweet Far Thing when I read it. 

I wish we could finally get a last Kingkiller book so we could add it to this list or not. 
    image image
  • I completely agree that Deathly Hallows is the best end EVER!
    But also The Dark Tower series. Ended great!

Follow my SK blog as I reread the entire SK library (again!):
    http://www.skallthetime.blogspot.com/
  • EliStar said:
    Deathly Hallows. 

I cannot even agree with these two.  Deathly Hallows still pisses me off.  And Mockingjay, I had a big issue with the end.
    :-S

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

• j*&p* said:
    Deathly Hallows, for sure. 

Mockingjay went off the deep end for me. I just pretend like the series ended with Catching Fire. 

I remember really liking The Sweet Far Thing when I read it. 

I wish we could finally get a last Kingkiller book so we could add it to this list or not. 
    I can't get on board with that book with THE INSANE THING that happens at the end w/ Kartik.
    image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    dmlk413Nanna
  • packfan20 said:
    EliStar said:
    Deathly Hallows. 

I cannot even agree with these two.  Deathly Hallows still pisses me off.  And Mockingjay, I had a big issue with the end.
    :-S

Why?

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• ETA: I tend to love Nora Roberts trilogies too. I never love one story more than the other, they all seem to work together perfectly somehow. I wish I could a little of her gift to rub off on me.
    Ditto this.
    Also: HP series, LOTR trilogy, and I can't decide about Mockingjay.