Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

NBR: Weekly Menu - What's on yours?

2»

Re: NBR: Weekly Menu - What's on yours?

• Where'd my response go??? I said, "Yay! They are so rich and yummy."
    Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores
  • Sunday - Spaghetti with Spicy Marinara Sauce
    Monday - Steak and Scallops
    Tuesday - Baked Chicken and Rice
    Wednesday - Chick-Fil-A Night
    Thursday - Lasagna
    Friday - Fend for Ourselves
    Saturday - Pizza

With a newborn in the house "quick and easy" is about all that is going on in the kitchen these days!

photo Dane_0009_zpsff463529.jpg
  • shellmhshellmh member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    M - Taco salad

T - Pork chops on the grill with a Stonewall Kitchen apple glaze (they're already marinating in the fridge!), rice (or potatoes of some sort) and butternut squash from our garden 

W - Sausage and chicken jumbalaya (this week's new recipe) 

Th - Pasta 

F - Sweet and Sour Chicken, rice and broccoli
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary 

Books Read in 2014: 10 
  • Sunday: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
    Monday: Chicken Broccoli and Brown Rice
    Tuesday: out
    Wednesday: Rainbow Alfredo
    Thursday: Turkey subs
    Friday: Meatball subs

My Crockpot Blog

DS born 2.28.13 at 31w1d 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • M- Roast Beef with potatos and carrots T- Left overs if my FIL goes home, Pizza if he stays W-Left overs if we didn't have them T, if not V. Steak bbq'd T- Spaghetti F- ??? We are trying to eat up what we have in the house, so I have to get creative with what's left.
  • This post actually makes me depressed.  You all seem so together with your meals.  I wish I liked to cook.  I hate the kitchen.  Who wants to come be my personal chef?
    Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 110
    Books read in 2014: 151
    Books read in 2015: 153
    Books read in 2016: 31

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/1zWJm6.png
    <a href="//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" style="height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medi
  • I'm totally making Booney's shrimp po'boys from last week tomorrow.

booneybear
  • @RiverPlate The shrimp po'boys were yummy!
    90 books in 2015?
  • I love to cook, but I don't really plan because I prefer to make what I feel like the day of...it's the same reason I hate packing to go anywhere.  The idea of being committed to one outfit (or dinner) makes me edgy.  Tonight I made penne with chicken, tomatoes, and spinach and used the remainder of the pesto I made yesterday for the sauce.
  • I didn't plan very well this week. Usually, I do like Booney does with the cookbooks and Pinterest and all. I didn't get creative at all this week. :(

Sun - London Broil, Mashed Potatoes, Salad.

Mon - Leftovers

Tues - Shepherd's Pie

Wednesday - Homemade Pizza and salad or leftovers if we have them.

Thursday - Homemade Pizza & salad (if not made on Wed) or something equally quick. Scout's first vet appt is after work.

Friday - Who knows! Maybe Rotisserie Chicken Tacos

• Geez.  I feel so subpar.  Am I the only one that doesn't know what's for dinner until an hour before I eat it?  That's probably why I feel like I only eat grilled chicken or spaghetti. 

/:)

• CeeCeeSugaPieCeeCeeSugaPie member
    500 Love Its Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    lab7979 said:

Geez.  I feel so subpar.  Am I the only one that doesn't know what's for dinner until an hour before I eat it?  That's probably why I feel like I only eat grilled chicken or spaghetti. 

Don't feel bad. There are plenty of weeks, and sometimes months, that I operate the same way. When I do plan ahead, and especially when I prep it ahead, I feel like Superwoman though, so that is kind of addicting! ;)

• lab7979 said:

Geez.  I feel so subpar.  Am I the only one that doesn't know what's for dinner until an hour before I eat it?  That's probably why I feel like I only eat grilled chicken or spaghetti. 

Don't feel bad. There are plenty of weeks, and sometimes months, that I operate the same way. When I do plan ahead, and especially when I prep it ahead, I feel like Superwoman though, so that is kind of addicting! ;)
    This is it! I only recently started "planning" meals again and it feels so nice to be prepared and know what I am making when I get home! Also I feels it helps with the weekly grocery shopping, I know exactly what I need for that weeks meals so I am not buying everything and anything.

my read shelf:Jess (Shepherdjel)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  •  

I'm just gonna join @booneybear for dinner. You put my best meals to shame lol!

I'm sick so I just want soup and ice cream all week. I'll probably make a bunch of crockpot meals. Beef stew, chicken and dumplings, chili, maybe salad with baked salmon one night. Who knows. I wasn't up to going to the store this weekend.
    @booknerd226  I love to cook and bake so planning dinner each week is the highlight of my Friday nights because instead of going out on Fridays, I sit down with all my cookbooks, Pinterest and misc. recipes and menu plan for the week.  
    @booneybear I love cooking and baking as well but I never plan it. I'll have a bad day and come home and bake everything I can. I'll have random days throughout the week where I cook up a storm and experiment with new recipes. I need to plan it. I know my weeks would be much happier if I did haha.
  • Monday- crock pot roast, potatoes, steamed veggies
    Tuesday- crock pot chicken tacos, rice
    Wednesday- cheese ravioli, homemade garlic bread
    Thursday- crock pot beef stroganoff
    Friday- pizza (we make our own, all of us like different things on them so we make little ones with whatever toppings we want)
    Saturday- Portillos
    Sunday- dinner at my parents

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Sweet babies, you are so very loved.
    Jack 11/29/2009 and Brynne 7/11/2013
  • I'm working late Monday through Wednesday this weekend, so I'm not cooking those days. DH is working 4 - midnight, and DD will be at my MIL's.

Thursday - Pasta and garlic bread

Friday - Leftovers

Saturday - Something on the grill

Sunday - Chicken, mashed potatoes, and veggies

Part of me loves when DH isn't around for dinner. DD and I love pasta, so we end up eating it a few nights while DH is gone.

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image
  • @denmanam Jack and I would eat pasta everyday if my husband wouldn't complain. He's a meat and potatoes guy so can only do pasta once a week. I could seriously eat it daily. Twice a day, even!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Sweet babies, you are so very loved.
    Jack 11/29/2009 and Brynne 7/11/2013
  • Oh man! I wish my LO loved pasta! He likes mac & cheese and spaghetti but isn't too excited about the rest of it. I am the lone pasta-lover in my house. DS & DH are all about the meat & potatoes.

• Monday- crock pot roast, potatoes, steamed veggies Tuesday- crock pot chicken tacos, rice Wednesday- cheese ravioli, homemade garlic bread Thursday- crock pot beef stroganoff Friday- pizza (we make our own, all of us like different things on them so we make little ones with whatever toppings we want) Saturday- Portillos Sunday- dinner at my parents
    This is my kind of meal plan!  The crock pot is my most favorite kitchen appliance.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• There was some interest in doing this weekly, so let's share!

I'm not cooking much this week. I have two concerts to go to and a hair appointment. Tonight I'm doing something quick, probably Texas Hash and corn on the cob. I'll do chicken with a brown sugar and mustard glaze on the grill if the weather is good. I also have stuff for chicken Suiza tacos. 

What's on your menus this week?
    You are the first person I have ever heard outside of my immediate family mention Texas Hash! I love it so much! How do you make yours? Mine is ground beef, stewed tomatoes, rice, onion, pepper, and canned corn. My mom makes it without the corn, but my aunt always put corn in it, and I loved it.

I am making foil dinners tonight with hamburger patties, sliced potatoes, sliced carrots, and some onion. And since I live alone, that will get me through the rest of the week.

I also made some apple cranberry oatmeal in my crockpot on Monday, which is serving as breakfast for the week.

"No longer lend your strength to that which you wish to be free from." -Jewel

• There was some interest in doing this weekly, so let's share!

I'm not cooking much this week. I have two concerts to go to and a hair appointment. Tonight I'm doing something quick, probably Texas Hash and corn on the cob. I'll do chicken with a brown sugar and mustard glaze on the grill if the weather is good. I also have stuff for chicken Suiza tacos. 

What's on your menus this week?
    You are the first person I have ever heard outside of my immediate family mention Texas Hash! I love it so much! How do you make yours? Mine is ground beef, stewed tomatoes, rice, onion, pepper, and canned corn. My mom makes it without the corn, but my aunt always put corn in it, and I loved it.

I am making foil dinners tonight with hamburger patties, sliced potatoes, sliced carrots, and some onion. And since I live alone, that will get me through the rest of the week.

I also made some apple cranberry oatmeal in my crockpot on Monday, which is serving as breakfast for the week.
    @phoenixRising11 - I make it just like you do, most of the time! I add corn if I'm not having corn on the side. But there is always corn involved somehow. It just matches! Oh, and a pinch of chili powder. I also sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top if I have it handy - it's really good that way. Texas Hash leftovers are the best!
    Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores