Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

NBR: monthly subscriptions

I have become obsessed with monthly subscriptions - Birchbox and Glambox, etc.  Not that I have signed up for one, but that I really really want one but I am being a waffler.  Every time I think I've found one that I would enjoy, I see one I haven't seen before and...

Do you have a subscription?  Do you like it?  What's your favorite thing about it?

Does anyone subscribe to StitchFix?  I really love the concept, but not the price.

Re: NBR: monthly subscriptions

• I used to get birchbox.  I had a lot of fun with it, but it started to become mostly skincare and hair products.  I'd signed up for makeup. I did get some good makeup samples, but not enough to keep going. 

I wanted to try one of the kid ones, but I'm afraid it will be like the others.  One good thing and 5 unused things.  Plus, Wes has an allergy so it might be pointless for him to get any of the food.

I also wanted to try that shoe one.  I think it was $34.95 a month, but I think J would kill me if I added MORE shoes at this point. I can't properly display the ones that I do have!
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wes: 10/8/2012

• I just started Naturebox last month.  I'm due to get another shipment soon.  Not sure I'll continue it after this month but it's neat.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• I have Popsugar box & Barkbox for my dog

Joyce's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• SnShne322 said:
    I used to get birchbox.  I had a lot of fun with it, but it started to become mostly skincare and hair products.  I'd signed up for makeup. I did get some good makeup samples, but not enough to keep going. 

I wanted to try one of the kid ones, but I'm afraid it will be like the others.  One good thing and 5 unused things.  Plus, Wes has an allergy so it might be pointless for him to get any of the food.

I also wanted to try that shoe one.  I think it was $34.95 a month, but I think J would kill me if I added MORE shoes at this point. I can't properly display the ones that I do have!
    My SIL used to get Birchbox.  I asked her why she cancelled and she said that she kept getting awful colors.  Like, every month she'd get a bottle of green nail polish.  She said she has 4 bottles of green nail polish now.
  • Hoycie said:
    I have Popsugar box & Barkbox for my dog

How is Barkbox?  I thought about getting it for my two little pups and I'm trying to sell DH on it.

Nicolle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• SnShne322 said:
    I used to get birchbox.  I had a lot of fun with it, but it started to become mostly skincare and hair products.  I'd signed up for makeup. I did get some good makeup samples, but not enough to keep going. 

My SIL used to get Birchbox.  I asked her why she cancelled and she said that she kept getting awful colors.  Like, every month she'd get a bottle of green nail polish.  She said she has 4 bottles of green nail polish now.
    I did get a lot of nail polish and in greens and blues!  I mean, one? Fine. Multiple? Not as wearable.
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wes: 10/8/2012

• Hoycie said:
    I have Popsugar box & Barkbox for my dog

How is Barkbox?  I thought about getting it for my two little pups and I'm trying to sell DH on it.
    Mia loves it. I love that they send different things every month and that every product is made within the USA.  One box should be good enough for your two pups to share.  If you go to barbox on instagram, they normally provide coupon codes.

Joyce's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Lizzie got me started on Julep Maven boxes.  It's nail polish and skin care.  There are a couple of options each month and you can opt out if you don't like any of them.  I love it so far!

my read shelf:
    Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Hoycie
  • I have Julep, ShoeDazzle, and JustFab. I use JustFab the least and ShoeDazzle the most but like them all.

my read shelf:
    Sarah (mrs.vedo)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just ditched Birchbox for the reasons already mentioned.

I get PopSugar and really like it. It's so random so it's fun.

• I still get Birchbox. I haven't had any of the issues reported, I hope they don't start!  I also get Julep boxes.

I do one for clothes called GwinnieBee. (Size 10 and up, sorry Skinny Minnies!  http://goo.gl/ZusnL2 ) It's like Netflix for clothes. You pick out items you like and add them to your "closet". Then, depending on the subscription you choose, they send, say, 3 items to you. You can wear them for as long as you want, and send them back whenever. Once they get an item back, they sent another from your closet. It's kind of fun, and love trying stuff I wouldn't normally try since there is no commitment. 

Now off to investigate some of these others.
    Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores
  • We do NatureBox and I love it. All natural snacks. I'm trying things I would have never considered before.
    I write sexy books. I read all the books. I love dresses & macarons.

image image image 
    image image image
  • I still get Birchbox. I haven't had any of the issues reported, I hope they don't start!  I also get Julep boxes.

I do one for clothes called GwinnieBee. (Size 10 and up, sorry Skinny Minnies!  http://goo.gl/ZusnL2 ) It's like Netflix for clothes. You pick out items you like and add them to your "closet". Then, depending on the subscription you choose, they send, say, 3 items to you. You can wear them for as long as you want, and send them back whenever. Once they get an item back, they sent another from your closet. It's kind of fun, and love trying stuff I wouldn't normally try since there is no commitment. 

Is it all new clothes each time? No amount of washing could make me feel ok knowing someone I don't know wore the outfit for an extended amount of time. Eek!

• Wow, I had no idea these were so popular.
    My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.
  • Hoycie said:
    I still get Birchbox. I haven't had any of the issues reported, I hope they don't start!  I also get Julep boxes.

Is it all new clothes each time? No amount of washing could make me feel ok knowing someone I don't know wore the outfit for an extended amount of time. Eek!
    Wow. Really @Hoycie ? You've never known the love of a great Goodwill find?
    I write sexy books. I read all the books. I love dresses & macarons.

image image image 
    image image image
  • I don't like goodwill/consignment/thrift store shopping either.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

Hoycie
  • HoycieHoycie member
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2013
    Skeezon said:
    Hoycie said:
    I still get Birchbox. I haven't had any of the issues reported, I hope they don't start!  I also get Julep boxes.

Sorry. Can't say that I have or ever will.

• Hoycie said:
    Skeezon said:
    Hoycie said:

Me neither. I can't even use library books because I'm such a germaphobe. 

image image
              Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I have heard of Gwynnie Bee before but was put off for the same reason as @Hoycie. I don't buy clothes from Goodwill ever. #shudder

• EliStar said:
    Hoycie said:
    Skeezon said:
    Hoycie said:

Me neither. I can't even use library books because I'm such a germaphobe. 
    Yup, it is technically "used". However, nothing I've ever gotten has shown any sign of wear, or been anything less than impeccably clean (they rotate stuff out once it looks less than new). If you're a total germaphobe, it isn't going to be for you, though.  
    Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores
  • I want to get BarkBox, but Gunner is such a weirdo. He doesn't play with toys, he doesn't like hard treats...most of it would probably go unused. I'm so bummed...it seems like it would be so much fun.

I never signed up for Birchbox because I don't really use samples. I have a huge bag in my bathroom of unused samples.

I like the idea of StitchFix, and it would be perfect because I'm too lazy to go shopping these days, but I doubt I'll ever do it.

Oh, and I have no problem with used clothing, since we're talking about it. I'm SO the opposite of a germophobe. In fact, about five minutes I accidentally dropped my granola bar on the floor of my classroom and then picked it up and ate it. #noshame
    image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    RiverPlate