Sex & Romance
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Nuvaring users?

I'm thinking of switching from the pill to nuvaring. Can you share your experience with nuvaring, and compare it to your experience with the pill? TIA!

Re: Nuvaring users?

• as a bc nuvaring is fine but it KILLED my sex drive, like didnt even want my DH to touch me, i was put on it to use continuously (like instead of having a week w/o it each month, i was told to just take it out after 3 weeks and put a new one in), but i really didnt like it, it also didnt help w/ any of my pms symptoms like moodiness or cramps...it def. wasnt worth it to me and ive had friends who have had the same problem (w/ the lack of sex drive) but every body is different so i really think it depends HTH!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image skyllingstadl:

as a bc nuvaring is fine but it KILLED my sex drive, like didnt even want my DH to touch me, i was put on it to use continuously (like instead of having a week w/o it each month, i was told to just take it out after 3 weeks and put a new one in), but i really didnt like it, it also didnt help w/ any of my pms symptoms like moodiness or cramps...it def. wasnt worth it to me and ive had friends who have had the same problem (w/ the lack of sex drive) but every body is different so i really think it depends HTH!

Ahhh that sucks! I think my sex drive is always dead while on BC though... Any idea how it handles acne? I'm looking into a BC that is more convenient that I don't have to take every day.

• Definitely didn't help the sex drive -- but the pill didn't help either! I liked only having to change it once a month.

However, I just switched from NuvaRing to and IUD a few months ago and my period landed right over the week of my upcoming wedding and since I had 2 extra NuvaRings I put one in for December and will use the other for January. Anyway, I noticed right away that my random, previously inexplained discharge issue was back. I didn't miss it at all when I switched to the IUD and didn't really notice that the ring caused it until I put it back in. It was/is annoying! That and the fact the ring never fit me very well would be my biggest complaints, but I liked to ring until I discovered an IUD was covered by insurance!

~~run.around.aroo: The Life of the Wannabe Runner that Lives Inside Me~~
  • I personally love my nuvaring!!! It's so much easier than the pill and I haven't had any reactions to it. I was a little worried at first when I put it in that my husband would "feel" it but he can't so no worries. One word of advice though get yourself a personal planner that breaks it down by week. I put stickers on each Sunday that was an "In" and "Out" one to help keep track.

• i loved the nuvaring when i used it. ?i never had any problems with it. ?i had a hard time remembering to take the pill and had trouble finding one that didn't give me headaches. ?unlike what seems to be a lot of other people i have never experienced a decreased sex drive due to any bc.
  • I used the NuvaRing for about a year or so. I loved the convenience of it, since I was constantly forgetting to take the pill. I HATED the downer it put on my sex drive, but pills did the same thing. I didn't have any other bad side effects.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I just recently switched to the Nuvaring and I love the fact that I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday! I haven't had any side effects . . yet. My husband has told me that he can feel it sometimes while having sex but not everytime.
  • I have been on/off BCP for years, varying side effects, and was excited to try something that I didn't have to remember to take every day.  Also, I think the pill I was on was killing my sex drive, so all the more reason to try something new.  The only thing I liked about the ring was not having to remember a pill every day; sex drive took a total nosedive, a lot of discharge certain days, and though DH said he couldn't feel it during sex he could feel it with his fingers, kind of eliminated that as foreplay which sucked, and then the last straw was when he pulled out during sex and the ring was on his, well, you know -- it was like a ring toss game that no one wants to play and embarrassed the hell out of me! :)

So, no more ring, I'm on to Loestrin Fe.  Loving it so far, remembering a pill is nothing new to me, my sex drive is back like nobody's business, only problem was spotting 2-1/2 weeks in, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen again next month.

• image HudsonSunshine:

it was like a ring toss game that no one wants to play and embarrassed the hell out of me! :)

AHHH HAHA! Sorry, that just ruined it for me lol

• I used the Nuvaring for about 4-5 months. I don't think it was covered by my insurance for one. It creeped my husband (then boyfriend) out the first time he felt it w/ his fingers (he couldn't feel it anyother way). It was fine for about 3 months, which is the acclimation time for most birth controls. But I would get horrible pains in my abdomen. It did good for my acne and didn't bother my sex drives but those pains were horrible.
  • I have loved Nuva Ring and have used it for 3 years.  It lightened and shortened my period and got rid of cramps and other yucky symptoms.  However, I am considering going off of it now because of the lack of sex drive problem.  Most of my current relationship was long distance so only having sex on the weekends was fine.  Now that we have lived together for the last year, the lack of sex drive is becoming a huge problem.  I am very frustrated with birth control!!!  Many pills give me migraines.  Nuva Ring was awesome but I can't take the sex drive problem- I used to have a great sex drive.  I am also allergic to latex so that means expensive lamb skin condoms for me. 

I am getting married in May so I feel that I should stay on the Ring until then so I can make sure I'm not on my period for the wedding but I really hate not "feeling" it for my fiance.  We should be enjoying our pre wedding bliss!