Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Different Kinds of Love

I have been in a few serious relationships in my lifetime and I feel like I have loved all the men, but in different ways.  Like in one relationship, the love was passionate and physical.  The next was more of a friendship/companionship type of love.  The relationship I am in now is with an older guy and I feel like it is a very secure, comforting relationship.  Do other people feel this way too?  I mean, obviously every guy you date will be very different... but I just haven't realize till now that the kind of "love" I have been seeking in these different relationships has changed and I have been getting something different from every man.

Re: Different Kinds of Love

• I think there are diff. kinds of love for sure...but I found that I had all those loves rolled into one with my DH if that makes any sense...I love him as my husband, lover, best friend, and all the above.

But yes, I have friends that I "love" and I have had different variances of love in my ex's. 

Regardless all these relationships are important to me....as for DH, I just didn't think I would have everything rolled into one...it is nice!

• It is always very interesting to look back and analize old relationships with out the emotional break up feelings. 

I understand what you are saying that you have gotten different "loves" from different men.  I too, have recognized this in my past relationships.  The other, and in my mind most important, is the love that I have for myself.  What I mean is, when I was younger, I didn't even like my own body and was in relationships that weren't the most healthy because of it.  Now that I have matured and made positive decisions, I love my body, my life and my self.  I believe that this balance was nesscary before I was able to love with my whole heart.  Once that was possible, hello husband!  I always say that if my DH and I had met any earlier in our lives, neither one of us would have been ready and it wouldn't have worked. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image Katew8667:
      The relationship I am in now is with an older guy and I feel like it is a very secure, comforting relationship. 

Watch out for this.  You don't sound very passionate about this person - you don't have to save your serious relationships for people who are "comforting." 

You only marry the guy that has EVERYTHING you want, because after a few, 10, 20 years, it all starts to fade anyway, at times.  Never settle.

• image northtamarack:

It is always very interesting to look back and analize old relationships with out the emotional break up feelings. 

I understand what you are saying that you have gotten different "loves" from different men.  I too, have recognized this in my past relationships.  The other, and in my mind most important, is the love that I have for myself.  What I mean is, when I was younger, I didn't even like my own body and was in relationships that weren't the most healthy because of it.  Now that I have matured and made positive decisions, I love my body, my life and my self.  I believe that this balance was nesscary before I was able to love with my whole heart.  Once that was possible, hello husband!  I always say that if my DH and I had met any earlier in our lives, neither one of us would have been ready and it wouldn't have worked. 

I'm rather w/ OMG here...

'comforting' and 'secure' are nice words but I've found that different people mean them in different ways...

when my baby-sister next calls me and says she's in a secure and comforting relationship w/ an older man (and I expect to have this phone call again) I will assume it'll mean what it's meant in the past...that she's in a controlling but mostly drama-free relationship w/ someone who treats her like he's her father instead of being a partner.

There's nothing wrong w/ cataloging what's good and what's...mediocre about a relationship; Mr. GBCK is wonderful and my perfect parnter but he does have X, Y and Z problems/annoying habits/etc.  But at the same time, I can say that I have the comfortable relationship AND the passionate relationship AND the friendship AND the *insert ideal I've forgotten here* relationship...all in the same person.  if I didn't have ALL of those, it wouldn't be the right relationship.

• Yep. Normal. Love is pretty much a construct to describe a variety of feelings and not everyone inspires all the feelings. FI definitely combines passion and companionship well, but not so much the security and that's the combo I prefer. An Interpersonal Communications class could go into more detail of the love triangle, but there it is: ideal partners tend to combine the most sides of it.