Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Twilight Madness?

Does anyone recommend the Twilight book series?  I keep seeing all this publicity for the new Twilight movie and I heard it's based on a fairly popular book series, so I'm wondering if anyone has read them...

If so, would it be something appropriate for someone in their mid to late 20s, or is it more of a teens type of thing?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Visit The Nest!

Re: Twilight Madness?

• Let's put it this way:  there's enough Nesties (read:  normally sane, levelheaded adult women) that are obsessed with Twilight that we've taken over a board and made it All Twilight All the Time, after NBC was flooded with Twilighters.

Does that answer your question? Smile

• Thanks, good to know!  I think I'll get the 1st book tomorrow.  I believe that one is the actual "Twilight" book...  I like to read books in order so I don't miss anything.

So NBC has a board dedicated to Twilight?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Visit The Nest!
  • You might want to pick up the 1st and 2nd book, as most of us read Twilight really quickly. Yes, we took over a board for Twilight.

Order of the books....Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I read them but am of the rare opinion that they were pretty terrible. I compare it to eating cheetos, little real substance but still cheaply satisfying if you're in the mood for consuming fluff.

Book 1 was the worst, they got a little better after that. The "character" Bella will make you want to throw the book across the room she's so stupid and annoying. Edward is your basic cliche teen fantasy, but pretty boring otherwise.

ETA: I'll probably be black-balled from this board for having this opinion.  

• image SparrowSong:

ETA: I'll probably be black-balled from this board for having this opinion. ?

Highly unlikely. ?I know for sure there are lots of others here who aren't fans. ?That was why those who are fans headed over to the other board, so as not to innundate and annoy those who couldn't care less. ?The NBC seems pretty tolerant of all views....?

imageimageimage
  • image SparrowSong:

I read them but am of the rare opinion that they were pretty terrible. I compare it to eating cheetos, little real substance but still cheaply satisfying if you're in the mood for consuming fluff.

Book 1 was the worst, they got a little better after that. The "character" Bella will make you want to throw the book across the room she's so stupid and annoying. Edward is your basic cliche teen fantasy, but pretty boring otherwise.

Twilight is not for everyone and everyone will not LOVE it like some of us do, but that is no reason to black-ball you. You are entitled to your opinion. This is also why we moved all Twilight talk to another board.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I finished the 4th book on Friday and I enjoyed all of them.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • image SparrowSong:

I read them but am of the rare opinion that they were pretty terrible. I compare it to eating cheetos, little real substance but still cheaply satisfying if you're in the mood for consuming fluff.

As much as I love the dang books, I pretty much agree with you. For me, Twilight is like American Idol or ANTM. Just a shameless guilty pleasure for me.But I love it like cake.

Anyway, no hate at all for having your opinion!!

image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image cswatch:

If so, would it be something appropriate for someone in their mid to late 20s, or is it more of a teens type of thing?

Your post made me giggle. You should have been around the last few months when Twilight talk on NBC was at it's peek. Crazy, but fun. FWIW, I'm 40 and read all 4 books & I enjoyed them! ;)

• I am a high school teacher, and one of my students recommended the books to me.  I'm almost 32 years old and am completely obsessed with the series.  I read the first 3 books in about a week (this was before Breaking Dawn was published-- I read that one in about a day).  Since then, two other teachers who are both in their 50's read them under my recommendation and loved them.  Plus, both of my sisters-in-law recently borrowed my copies of the books and have become just as obsessed as I am (one is 23 and the other is 36)!

I don't have a problem with people who don't like the books.  I'm honestly not even sure what draws me in, but I love, love, love the story.  I ignored some of the teen fluff stuff and really fell in love with the vampire mythology.  I even saw the movie 3 times during the opening weekend! 

Also, this is Young Adult Literature, and, I mean, definitely "Young Adult."  It gets serious towards the end, and I wouldn't really recommend this to a teen under the age of 16 or 17, honestly.  (I found out that my 12-year-old second-cousin was reading it and was shocked!) 

• I'm a 30 year old attorney, mother of a 21 month old boy, and I read all four books and watched the movie in one week.  Edward just makes me swoon.  Granted, since I have a lot of heavy reading day to day I love fluff, and these books just kind of took me back to high school & the story was just too sweet.  I loved Bella...maybe b/c my teenage self could relate to her in the first book (awkward, ordinary, new girl in school).  I love the forbidden relationship and the simplicity of the story.  They're really easy reads & I would recommend them to anyone! 
  • Ick!
    image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne
  • I saw the movie and it made me buy the books. Where is the all twilight all the time board, please?
  • I read the series the week and I LOVED all of them! ?I actually had to keep from reading all of breaking dawn on my four hour flight from DC. I hated that the series ended although I do see the point that Bella's stories had run their course
  • image SparrowSong:

ETA: I'll probably be black-balled from this board for having this opinion. ?

Ah! I am not alone!!! :) I'm about 50 pages into book 2 and I can't even take it. It's like a Sweet Valley High novel. Thank you for posting!?