Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

New Year's Resolution....

to get healthy and in shape!

Anyone else making this one their resolution? I have such a hard time keeping it it seems. What are ways you make sure to not return to your old habits? Food is my best friend and worst enemy...

Re: New Year's Resolution....

• That was my resolution last year, and unfortunately I was not successful.  So, I know it will be my resolution again, but I haven't found the motivation to get going.  And keep going. 

Good luck to you!

• This has been my resolution in the past and I have always failed. I think part of the reason is because "being healthy and in shape" is so vague. Personally, if I am more specific in my goals it is easier for me to accomplish them. So this year, my resolution is to exercise at least three times a week and add at least one more serving of fruits and vegetables each day. That way, I am being healthier and more in shape, but it is easier to acheive if it's broken down.

Good luck and I hope that makes sense!

• Why wait for the new year?  Start today (or tomorrow)!

My advice is to start small and set small goals.  If you try to do too much all at once, you'll set yourself up for failure.  For example, if you currently drink 5 sodas a day, try to cut it back to one or two.  If you only work out once a week, or never at all, try for 3 times a week, not 6.  Make small changes in your diet.  Set a goal to eat at least 3 or 4 fruits or veggies a day.  Try to up your water intake.  Switch to whole wheat grains instead of white.  Low fat dairy instead of full fat.  Those sort of things.  Once these things become a habit, then you can add in other things.

Also, there is no magic weight loss pill.  Getting healthy and staying healthy is very hard, that's why so many people fail at it.  It is so much easier to do nothing.  But slow and steady wins the race.  Keep at it, and you will eventually have success.

This board is very motivational and has great advice, so stop by often.  Good luck!

• It is a standing "resolution" but I agree with pp: why wait until Jan 1 when you can start today!

My goal for 2009: to participate in a 10K.

TTC since June 2009
    DX: MFI June 2010 & DOR Sept 2011
    Various forms of medicated cycles since June 2010
    IVF #1 tentatively scheduled for 2013
    Doing acupuncture and focus on weight loss in the meantime

S/PAIF welcome

[img]http://i54.tinypic.com/zsk41e.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/33c5hxy.jpg[/IMG]
  • My Mom and I just had a discussion about this earlier. ?I, unfortunately, have reached my highest weight ever. ?This time last year I was 7 pounds away from my goal weight. ?Of course I'm very upset about it. ?We talked about 5 things I can start doing now to move in the right direction, like exercising 3 days a week, drinking more water, only having a sweet treat after a workout (if I want one), eating on smaller plates/smaller portions, eating more veggies and less bread. ?The usual. ?I'm about to type it up, print it out, and stick it on the fridge so I see it every day. ?This is my resolution too, but I'm not waiting til January 1st to start. ?I hope I defy the odds this holiday season and lose weight rather than gain more weight!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm doing more of an exercise resolution. ?For some reason, diet is not as hard to me as sticking to an exercise program.
  • My goal for 2009 is to run a half-marathon. I have always wanted to run one and since I'm not getting any younger it's now or never.

After 4 years, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs our surprise miracle is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog
  • I'm with you...though I am starting right now as well. I have been exercising only 2-3 days a week for the past few months. I'm going to up that to at least 5. I have also been pretty lax with my eating habits...portion sizes, sweets being more than occasional, not drinking enough water. I have resolved to drink more water, eat less sweets, and eat more protein.

I also want to start running again. I would love to run a marathon but haven't mustered up the courage to actually declare that I'm going to train for it... I have run a 10K, 10 mi, 1/2 marathon in the past so this seems like the next logical step.

• My resolution is to complete the C25k and be able to go out jogging with dh come spring and summer. I also want to do the turkey trot next year and do at least the 5k if not 10k. I had a resolution to tone up my arms and slim down a little this year for the wedding and did pretty well with it(hired a trainer) but this year I want to  do it myself. My hope is that the running schedule combined with weight watchers will make this a good year for me. Also, hopefully I can get dh in on it as well so we can help each other. I contimplated starting it all now, but we have a crazy holiday schedule and I knew I wouldn't be able to be consistent with it.
  • What seems to work best for me is being specific, for me it's my running, and then eating right and training are just what help me meet my race goals.

I was never a runner. I had some coworkers who raced and then March 2007 on a whim ran a 5K with no training. I felt like I had climbed Everest and wanted more. In 2007 I ended up running 24 races including a 10K.

So 2008 I met my goals of completing a half marathon an exceeding the amount of races I did last year (this year will be 26 races on Saturday).

In 2009 we are planning to travel more so I am going to put a spin on my goals: run more than 2 half marathons, re-run a killer 15K I did in '08, improve my 5K and 10K PRs, and find some new distances (like 8K or 12K). 

So my suggestion would be to add some adventure to your resolution, like trying two or three new sports/activities or something like that then perhaps the rest will just fall into place.

CJ

• DH is resolving to start going to the gym after the new year. I told him why not start now when it's not crazy busy. He replied that he can't procrastinate if he does it right now. Fair enough.

I have a lot of work to do on my career advancement so I guess that is my resolution, to go to my college placement office and try to get a good damn job.

• I hate hate hate hate hate NY Resolutions....but this is a personal opinion and if that is what it takes to help someone else meet their goals, then I think their great.  For me though, I don't see the point in picking a date a month away to get the ball rolling...it's always put too much pressure on me and I'm back on the couch by Feb 1.

But, I'm hoping to get up to 2 marathons in 09 and then to stick to 3-4/year from 2010 on.  I also need to seriously get back on my bike...there was a century I wanted to do next year, but it's 3 weeks before my marathon and I'm not sure what my training program will look like just yet.

Damn you Nest for screwing up my siggy!

.: Diary of a Recovering Runner :.

Vacation
  • I agree with some that I don't like NY's Resolutions. The main reason...I don't follow through with them! I also agree that you should start now! Even small amounts of exercise will help, especially this time of year with holiday stress, overeating, etc. I found that if I make smaller goals for myself and evaluate them every few weeks or once a month I tend to stick with them longer. Good luck!
    A & D 8/04/07
  • My goal for 2009 is to complete the California Dreamin'  Racing Series ( Surf City Marathon in February, SF Marathon in July,  Long Beach Marathon in October) . Best of luck to everyone :) !
  • I'm also not a fan of New Year's resolutions. And it's totally selfish. I HATE when my gym gets so obscenely crowded in January. Not that I'm against people working out, I think it's great. But they're all gone by February! And for that month it's nearly impossible to get machines, etc.

I started a weight loss and fitness program this year, and will probably have "fitness goals" for next year. Currently they are placing in my division in a triathlon and running a half marathon under two hours.