Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

competition

I'm sometimes a little competitive when I run...if I see someone I think I can pass, I'll try and do it. ?But this morning was ridiculous!

I was on an easy 7ish mile run, when this lady crosses the street and starts running right next to me. ?Fine, we're the same pace. ?Then she pulls ahead and keeps looking back...whatever, so she's competitive. ?We get to a stop light and have to wait. ?As soon as the light changes she goes "you're going down" - I looked to see if she was joking because it just seemed crazy - but she looked totally serious! ?Woah, ok crazy lady, this is not a race!

?Anyway, she took off but I just kept going at a steady pace and passed her, and she stayed with me for a little bit and then turned onto a different street. ?Kind of nuts!

Food Blog: Cate's World Kitchen
Ellie Jane - 9/12/11
Post-partum races!
11/6 - Kennedy Drive 8K: 36:27 (7:20 pace)
12/4 - North Face Trail Half Marathon: 2:10 (9:27 pace)
12/11 - Arts and Sciences 5K: 21:56 (7:03 pace)
1/8 - Golden Gate Park 10K: 44:30 (7:09 pace) PR!
1/22 - Waterfront 5K: 20:54 (6:43 pace) PR!

Re: competition

• That's really weird.

One time after I had just started running I got passed by two fat guys. No words were exchanged, they just could run faster than me. I still say the fact that they were both at least a foot taller than me and had longer legs, thus their steps probably covered twice as much ground as mine was part of it. Still, it was humiliating. I think it kept me motivated for the next month at least. Hahahahahaha.

• That is really weird! Who would say something like that??
  • That's pretty funny.....and you were on an easy run, this woman was probably working her tail off.  ;)  I usually just get that in the pool.  I'll be doing sets of 1000s or maybe an hour continuous swim, and a guy in the lane next to me will wait until I hit the wall and then "race" me to the end of the pool.  It's kind of sad. 

• I think it's funny in the pool too. When you do some pretty fast interval sets. They see you resting on the wall but they don't understand you are sprinting as fast as you can 10 times in a row or more. And they race you for a 25 and they are pooped when they hit the wall, it is funny.
  • Oh my gosh, that's too much!  This older guy kept sprinting ahead of me and my friend at the Turkey Trek on TGiving...he'd run as fast as he could till he got in front of us, then walk and sound like he was going to die.  We ended up finishing before him and he stopped us when we were leaving and said "I really thought I'd beat you guys...I run much faster than you!"  Yeah, for 20 second bursts!
    Damn you Nest for screwing up my siggy!

.: Diary of a Recovering Runner :.

Vacation
  • image Duffinger:
    Oh my gosh, that's too much!? This older guy kept sprinting ahead of me and my friend at the Turkey Trek on TGiving...he'd run as fast as he could till he got in front of us, then walk and sound like he was going to die.? We ended up finishing before him and he stopped us when we were leaving and said "I really thought I'd beat you guys...I run much faster than you!"? Yeah, for 20 second bursts!

LOL that reminds me of this old guy I ran next to for awhile in my last half marathon. ?Every time I passed him he would yell at himself "Come on, Bob...don't let her pass." ?It was SO weird. ?

Food Blog: Cate's World Kitchen
    Ellie Jane - 9/12/11
    Post-partum races!
    11/6 - Kennedy Drive 8K: 36:27 (7:20 pace)
    12/4 - North Face Trail Half Marathon: 2:10 (9:27 pace)
    12/11 - Arts and Sciences 5K: 21:56 (7:03 pace)
    1/8 - Golden Gate Park 10K: 44:30 (7:09 pace) PR!
    1/22 - Waterfront 5K: 20:54 (6:43 pace) PR!
  • What a psycho hose beast.
  • IMHO- Some old people have a major ego issue with not being as fast as they used to be. Someone I work with has that issue majorly and he has parkinsons which makes it worse. He yelled at me because I clicked too fast on the computer :/
  • Whoa! It's a training run! That's pretty crazy though. I get a little competitive at races, but I also don't want to push myself so hard that I'm miserable. I was a little sad to note that at the Habitrot on TG I was beaten by some 10 year old boys!
    Cook, Pray, Love
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    HM PR - 2:07:28 10K PR - 56:23 5K PR - 26:42
    Upcoming Races:
    3/11 - Tom King Half Marathon 5/6 - Flying Pig Marathon