Canada Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

My shitty situation at work from last week

So i've tried to write this a few times and deleted them all because I can't figure out what I can say without risking further trouble. 

I've decided I can say this much, I have had a major difference in opinion with my boss and his boss.  Upon reflection this difference is not something I can reconcile internally and support, the disagreement is bigger then just the one issue, it goes back to incompatible values and beliefs in how business should be conducted. 

So I am in the process of updating my resume and getting it out. 

Had they approached the problem differently I may have been able to accept it.  I am capable of not agreeing with a point of view but being able to see the reasoning behind it and move on.  However I believe their approach showed a lack of professionalism and was very disrespectful.  Hindsight, I also believe I am far from the first treated in this manner and that to stay would be saying I am okay with that.  And I'm not. 

I am not willing to spend my entire career kissing someone's ass to get ahead and I am not a yes-woman.  I believe you can have different points of view and that by openly and honestly discussing them things can improve and that is how companies become leaders in their field.  I think that recognizing problems and then shoving them under the rug and trying to work around the elephant in the room hampers everyone and at best you will be at best average.  I'm not willing to strive for average or spend the rest of my working life just showing up and doing enough to collect my pay cheque.  Maybe I'm still idealistic but I do think there are companies out there who do share these values. 

I don't have to be right, but I do need to be able to respect the people I work for so I can be okay with following direction that wouldn't have been my first choice.

The timing sure sucks though.  I have a couple of postings I'm trying to do cover letters for, a few friends keeping their ears open so I'm not without options.  They're just fewer then a couple of months ago.  Next week (before I go on holidays, talk about bad timing) I'm going to try and find head hunters.  Hopefully I'll see some bites in January.

So wish me luck. 

Re: My shitty situation at work from last week

• I wish you luck!!!  And - I feel like I could have written your post myself.  I was most definitely counting down the months/weeks/days until my mat leave because I was so fed up with everything at work.  Now I have to decide if I am going to go back there, or look for something else.
  • Best of luck in your job hunting.  I'm sure once something else comes along, you will look back in hindsight and wonder why you put up with all of that crap for as long as you did!

• I hope you find something that is a better fit with better bosses and good for you for sticking up for yourself and your values.  Not everyone can do that and usually they just end up more miserable.  Best of luck to you in your job hunt!
  • Good for you for sticking to your values and beliefs. At the end of the day I think it's important to be able to face yourself in the mirror. You'll never look back and regret staying true to your values.

I hope things with your job hunt turn out well. Best ofluck!

• Good for you for not being a yes-woman!

I wish you all the best in your search. ***GOOD VIBES***

• :( Get yourself into a healthier workplace as soon as you can.? Good luck with the resumes!