Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

party ideas

Okay ladies: On January 24th im having a big 50th birthday party at a local country club for my mother.   Dinner/dancing etc.  Cocktail attire.

I NEED SOME IDEAS.  What can i do to personalize the party and make it really special? aside from the usual photo collage near the door. 

Tips Tips Tips Please!

Re: party ideas

• each table be named for a special place/thing to your mom.

photos of your mom from over the years in centerpeices.

have the bar make up a signature cocktail fif-tini? or your moms favorite drink?

read a list of things that happened the year she was born.

• I agree with the picture centerpieces. Maybe you could incorporate old pictures into favors somehow?
  • Can you go with the 50s theme for the whole cocktail party?  I picture a Vintage/Retro feel with martinis, etc. 

50s theme music with the band - elvis, mac the knife, dean martin. etc

• I've mentioned this on this board before, but I love sharing it because I think it really made the party special.

For my grandfather's 70th birthday we asked the guests to send in one short story telling of a time spent together with my grandfather. The story could be sentimental or funny.

My mom had collected all of the stories and bound it together in a book along with a few pictures of my grandfather throughout the years.

The gift was such a hit, that people still enjoy looking through that to this day.

• check out this website for things that happened the year your mom was born http://www.babyboomers.com/yrindex.htm and maybe incorporate them into your party somehow.
  • I think you definately need a theme of some sort.  Pick one of her hobbies and go with it. If she loves sewing, maybe get some of her peices and use them as decorations.  If she likes to travel, make each table decorated for a place she's been.  If she likes gardening, have little clay pots (with or without plants) with each guest name on it as name cards.  Try to incorporate the food into the theme as well.  I think chosing a theme really helps to pull a party together and give it character. 
  • For my great Aunt and Uncle's 50th anniversary we did a photo slideshow.  It was back in the days before one was done at every wedding, so the guests (and my great aunt and uncle) were totally surprised.  It's a nice momento for them to keep after the day also.
    Master of Disguise