Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Impromptu dinner party...tonight??!

My husband just surprised me that we are having a couple over for dinner..tonight.  What can I make that is cheap (we are on a Christmas budget) and fun?  Nothing too serious or fancy, it's a laid back couple..and please no Mexican..it's been done..a lot lately!

Re: Impromptu dinner party...tonight??!

• Shrimp Scampii, salad and bread. It's super easy and I would just get bag salad, bread, shrimp and pasta. Super easy.
    [IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/33etugm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://tinyurl.com/7f9prt8[/IMG]

Books read in 2011- 62/75
  • Shrimp Fra Diavolo

Ingredients

To make one serving:
    1/2 oz. blended oil
    10 ea. shrimp, (31/40 size)
    1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
    1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
    2 oz. marinara sauce
    4 oz. Alfredo sauce
    1 oz. butter
    1 pinch salt & pepper
    7 oz. cooked penne pasta

Directions

Heat oil in saute pan, add shrimp and cook halfway. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute. Add marinara and alfredo, then simmer. Add butter and mix. Season with salt/pepper. Drop pasta in hot water. Add hot pasta to pan and toss well. Serve in pasta bowl.

Just use your favorite bottled alfredo sauce and marinara sauce, and it tastes gourmet and like you spent a lot more time making it than you did. Also, you can change the shrimp for some precooked mesquite chicken patties from walmart. Just heat them in the microwave for three minutes, slice, and add to your pasta

• I think shrimp is a good way to go.

You can also broil scallops with butter and bread crumbs and serve with rice and salad.

For dessert, I'd pick up a premade cake or peppermint stick ice cream.

• I was going to suggest shrimp too! It's quick, easy and tasty. I'd do shrimp and pasta.
  • How about a baked ziti...just make your noodles (al dente) then a jar of sauce with some mushrooms and green pepper. Add some ground beef (or italian seasoned ground turkey), Then pour the noodles in a 9x13 pan, pour the meat sauce on top, add some cheese and put it in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. You can make it before they come, and just toss it in the oven while you visit. Add some salad and garlic bread and voila...quick, cheap, and easy! Hope that helps!
  • Do you know that they can/will eat shrimp? If not, I wouldn't make it. I don't like shrimp and H can't eat it, so we'd be out of luck if that was the dinner served. I'd got for a basic pasta dish - spaghetti, lasagna, etc. with garlic bread and salad.

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/nweg7b.jpg[/IMG]
  • I would do stir fry and egg-drop soup.

Both are super easy and won't take more than 30 minutes to make.