Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Help with Christmas Eve menu

Here's what we have so far:

Apps:

Artichoke dip and crackers

Veggies and dip

The meal:

Herb crusted beef tenderloin

Salad

Mashed potatoes

Squash casserole

Green bean casserole

Mashed carrots and rutabaga (sounds gross, but very yummy)

Rolls

Fruit cake (not the gross kind)

Christmas cookies

DH wants me to make some other type of main dish in case someone doesn't like the beef tenderloin (or in case it doesn't turn out.)  I need something EASY without a bunch of expensive ingredients.  I'd love to just throw stuff in the crockpot.  Or something made stovetop would be good since we're short on oven space.  I'm thinking some kind of chicken or pasta/casserole type dish.  Any suggestions?

Re: Help with Christmas Eve menu

• Also, any type of soup or stew is out. I thought about doing a soup course instead of another main dish, and then realized that my grandma's china doesn't have soup bowls.  Our every day stuff would clash with the china, so soup isn't an option.
  • If you have coffee cups with the china you could serve the soup in that, or some other cup- see my soup shooters post.

I don't think you need anything else, but you could do a pork roast or chicken breast in the crock pot.

• I don't think it's necessary to have another main dish, but if your DH insists upon it, what about making pastizio?

Also, a bowl of fruit and nuts is always a nice addition for the holidays.

Otherwise, your menu sounds great!

• I don't think you need anything else. I'm also making tenderloin (and only that) as a main dish.

Though my sister called yesterday to be a brat and ask if that was "allllllll" I was making in a very whiny voice. She will be eating salad for dinner, I suspect. More for us!

74 books read in 2011
  • What about a small ham? Those aren't too expensive and not too high maintenance either. I'm sure some people would have a little of each meat then.
  • It seemed like my grandma's china should have bowls, so I had my mom look around her house.  She found quite a few missing pieces to my set, which includes a set of bowls.  So, I decided to do a tomato soup.  If the tenderloin doesn't turn out or someone doesn't like it, with the soup, salad, and all the sides there should still be plenty!