Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Need help with holiday dinner

I never hosted a party before, this is my first year. I am having 11 people, sit down dinner. My family is more old fashioned when it comes to food.

This is what I have so far....

Baked Ham ( I need a good recipe)

Mashed pototoes

Maple Carrots

Rolls

Re: Need help with holiday dinner

• That sounds good. Unfortunately, I don't have a good ham recipe, but I do have a couple of suggestions. I would add one more vegetable (maybe roasted asparagus with garlic or green bean almondine) and perhaps homemade cranberry sauce.

For dessert you can make a cranberry pear pie and serve it with vanilla ice cream.

Also since this is your first time hosting, I would recommend preparing as much as possible in advance, so that way you're not slaving away in the kitchen.

Good luck!

• This might sound weird, but it tastes really good.

Pineapple Ham Glaze

HAM GLAZE:
    Combine 1 cup maple flavored syrup, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar and 2 tablespoons prepared mustard in small saucepan; heat until blended.
    HAM GLAZE:

• We generally have ham at Christmas, and we're also very traditional with foods. We do serve ravioli with the ham, and pineapple (fresh is best!). We like a lot of veggies; usually asparagus, corn, broccoli, and beets. Sometimes stuffed artichokes, too. Oh, and cole slaw.

If you want ideas, try the honeybakedham website to see what sides they offer to see if you get any ideas.

GL!

74 books read in 2011
  • We've always done a glaze on the ham using orange juice and brown sugar. You can sub OJ for regular Coke too. Weird, yes, but it tastes fine!

I think one other dish wouldn't hurt. Something simple--green bean casserole maybe? Or you could do a nice salad tossed in a light dressing. Cole slaw would also be a great choice.

Books read in 2012: 49
    my bookshelf!
    Katie (gingerfeathers)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Bloggy
  • How about a green veggie like pickled brussel sprouts (just saw Rachel Ray make them this morning) or green beans with browned butter and toasted almonds?

Personally I would make scalloped potatos instead of mashed with ham, plus you can make ahead and just warm them up in the oven.  

Other potential sides: baked apples, squash or baked yams

Desserts: Apple crisp, bread pudding with a carmel whisky sauce, poached pears 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • My family is traditional as well. You need a cheesy dish though (mac and cheese or au gratin potatoes) ?My mom always has a ham dinner:

Honeybaked ham ( or ditto on pp using coke)?

Mac & Cheese (get stouffer's large metal tray of it in the freezer section at either gordon's food service, sam's club)

Country green beans ( large can of green beans from sam's, add to crockpot add onion and piece of pork that is used for soup beans, in the meat section) ?Cook overnight- and yum!

mashed potatoes?

Coleslaw, pickels, olives assortment

rolls?

??