Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

If you could pick any city (U.S or Canada)...

If you could pick any city in the U.S. or Canada, where would you go? My husband and I are planning our first year anniversary trip for late August. It will only be a three-night deal, so we want to stay in the U.S. We're thinking about San Diego or San Francisco, but we just went there a couple years ago. Any ideas? (We're from Texas, btw).
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: If you could pick any city (U.S or Canada)...

• do you want hot or cooler? anything you're looking for in particular like muesums? great restaurants? within certain time for flights?i mean there are literally hundreds of answers to your question if you dont give some direction. do you have passports?
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • GilliCGilliC member
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer

If I could pick any city in the US?

Barrow. Hands down. 

• I've traveled a lot for my job and my personal vacations. For a short 3 day trip, for romance, sites to see, and lovely restaurants I'd pick Charleston.

I went there a few years ago for work, before I married my husband. He flew along and paid his own way. We stayed at the French Quarter Inn, a 4 diamond hotel. The rooms are very romantic, some have fireplaces and balconies or patios. They serve a wonderful free breakfast in the lobby, then have wine in the afternoon and late night snacks as well.  It is right near the Marketplace which has a lot of vendors. We went for walks down the cobblestone streets, went to the waterfront, shopped in the small stores. The homes are fabulous, many of them historic. They have horse drawn carriage rides.  We didn't know what to expect, and were very pleasantly surprised. Depending on the time of year you are going, it can be very hot in the summer. We were there in January and it was in the 60's (a nice break for a couple of people from Michigan)

The best dinner we had was at Charleston Grill. Pricey, but the food was amazing and the service top notch. When you make reservations tell they you are celebrating your anniversary. They'll give you great seating. Have breakfast at Toast.

Another thing I'd recommend (if you are sports fans) would be to look up the schedule for your favorite team. If it's summertime, check out your favorite baseball team's schedule and arrange an "away game" weekend. We scheduled our honeymoon around the Detroit Tigers schedule after our wedding in August 2011. They were going to be playing Oakland in September, so we delayed our HM for a few weeks and arrived and stayed at their hotel for the 4 nights we were there. I walked around with a baseball in my carry-all bag and got tons of autographs, just passing through the lobby, without stalking,LOL. But then, we are very geeky fans.

If you want to get away from hot weather in the summer, New England is wonderful. It would be a fairly long flight, but seeing the ocean in the north, maybe going on a whale watching trip, is really fun. And lobster is SO good, LOL.

But of all the places I've been, I think Charleston is the one place I'd choose again.

Good luck.

• Depends what you are looking for....

My favorite cities in North America that I have been to thus far are Vancouver Canada (where I live...) it's beautiful and there's tons of outdoors stuff to do. San Diego California, Its warm with tons of things to go see (zoo, aquarium, old town etc), and South Beach (Miami) Florida, its hot, on the beach, with awesome nightlife and great shopping.

• It really depends on what  you are looking for/like.

Because I live on the white sandy beaches of true NorthWest Florida (the Emerald Coast), I like to vacation in the woods/mountains.  

I love the the Pigeon Forge / Gaitlinburg Tennessee area. There is a ton to do, it has beautiful scenery and DollyWood is a fun amusement park. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g55270-Pigeon_Forge_Tennessee-Vacations.html

However, I have been watching the Discovery Channel's "North America" series and I would love to head to the west and see Yosemite now.   

[IMG]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu52/Iluminespics/IMG_4759.jpg[/IMG]
  • As others have mentioned, the answer to this question depends on what you are looking for.

However, given your time frame (late August) I would recommend somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, such as Seattle, Portland, or Vancouver as long as you can get a direct flight from wherever you live. Seattle would be my number one choice. There is a ton to do here and August is our best weather month; it will be beautiful.

San Diego and San Francisco are also great choices, but since you've already been to both why not try something different? :-) 

• Three days from TX? I would suggest New Orleans. But if I could go anywhere, then I would choose Vegas!
    [My Domestic Addiction]

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter
  • I second Charleston. If it was my anniversary I'd be thinking Charleston or New Orleans. Another option is the Napa Valley/Calistoga area. There are some nice hotels/resorts in the area perfect for a vacation of nothing but relaxing, spa, eating and drinking. 
  • Along the lines of Charleston, how about Savannah GA?  I've been to both cities and both have lots of charm and romance but I liked Savannah a bit more.  I definitely plan to go back! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker