Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

SBC 25-Point Task: 1* Book Review

I read Jodi Picoult's The Tenth Circle for this task.  And I have to agree with the one- and two-star reviews: this is definitely NOT one of her better works.

***Trigger warning: this review contains information about sexual assault that may be upsetting to survivors***

I love Jodi Picoult, but I don't always love her books. The Tenth Circle started out strong, so I was surprised that many of my friends gave it only one or two stars in their reviews.

There were a handful of small things that irked me.  Locks of Love, for example, does not make wigs for children with Cancer. They make them for children with Alopecia. It's a common misconception, and one that is easily verified on their website.  The fact that it's wrong in the book is just sloppy research.

But even so, it was still a good book.  I kept thinking that this was such an important book. In the wake of Steubenville and the suicide of Rehtaeh Parsons, we need authors who aren't afraid to write about (date) rape.  Who can portray how harrowing it is to return to some semblance of normal.  Who are honest about the pain that it causes for not only the survivor, but her friends and family.

And then I came to the end.  And I figured out why my friends didn't like it.

Spoilers on my blog.

Re: SBC 25-Point Task: 1* Book Review

• I haven't read this one yet but its been on my tbr for a while. I'm a huge Jodi Picoult fan so I hope to eventually work my way through all of hers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Savanna Funkhouser's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)