Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Oops - Need to buy new books!

So, we are getting the acoustic ceilings removed in our house. My husband decided this on a whim, we got an estimate on Saturday afternoon, and they start work tomorrow. We had to basically pack up our entire house except for one bathroom and the kitchen and move out. In ONE day. 

Anyhow, I packed up my books...and forgot to leave any out!  ALL my books are packed away! I need books for the next two weeks! So, I'm going shopping. ;) The husband says I can read on my kindle, but I think this is a great excuse to go get some new "real" books. 

I know, I know, it really isn't, but I'm going with it anyway. 

Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookstores

Re: Oops - Need to buy new books!

• You had acoustic ceilings in your house? 

Even if you didn't have to get new books because you packed the other ones away, I'd still say that you deserve new ones for packing up the whole place is ONE day.  

Helene (Nova726)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • The logic seems sound to me. I mean what if your kindle runs out of energy or there is a black out? You need a hard copy so you can use it no matter what light you are reading by.

I say enjoy the books you buy.

Anniversary
  • I KNEW you guys would get me!

And, yes, unfortunately we have ugly "popcorn" ceilings. They suck. I hate them. 

As a side note, I'm also using this whole experience as an excuse to buy a new TV stand, bookcase, and reading chair for the bedroom, and a new sofa for the living room. My poor husband is shell shocked.

• Can I ask how much it is to remove acoustic ceilings?  We have them too and I don't like them at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If they are asbestos, it can run $2-$3k per 12X15 room. (Yikes!)

Thankfully, ours aren't, and we are having a guy who works with my dad remove all of ours, retexture, and paint (including walls in two of the rooms) for $700.  We are buying all of the materials, so that's additional. 

It's a MESSY process. Technically, as long as it isn't asbestos, you can do it yourself. You just wet and scrape. But we are lazy. 

• image sfgiantsjo:

If they are asbestos, it can run $2-$3k per 12X15 room. (Yikes!)

Thankfully, ours aren't, and we are having a guy who works with my dad remove all of ours, retexture, and paint (including walls in two of the rooms) for $700.  We are buying all of the materials, so that's additional. 

It's a MESSY process. Technically, as long as it isn't asbestos, you can do it yourself. You just wet and scrape. But we are lazy. 

You are not lazy.  You are smart.

• image sfgiantsjo:

And, yes, unfortunately we have ugly "popcorn" ceilings. They suck. I hate them. 

Oh, okay. For some reason I automatically thought of acoustical ceiling tiles, like you'd see in commercial spaces.  Popcorn ceiling is terrible though, I have it in a few places in my house and would love to one day take on the removal of it. 

Helene (Nova726)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • As far as I'm concerned, any reason to buy books is a good reason. Wink
    View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image
  • fabkfabk member
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer
    I can see your reasoning for buying new books. No judgement here.Big Smile