Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

(@) delaying kids because of the recession?

anyone doing this? i've posted before about H and i mulling TTC in a time at which our jobs are less than secure. i'm curious how other folks are handling this. peep this:

here's a snippet. find the full story here: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-nokids10-2008dec10,0,1244156.story 

Recession prompts some couples to delay having kids

Birthrates typically decline during economic downturns. Would-be parents struggle with the wisdom of waiting.
By Jessica Guynn

December 10, 2008

Reporting from San Francisco ? Kristen Hirsch Montag took her time finding Mr. Right, so she didn't want to wait long to start a family. Yet at 39, Montag says the economy has left her little choice but to let her biological clock keep ticking.

While the couple were planning their October wedding, Montag's husband, Paul, lost the job he had held for seven years selling ads for a magazine because it folded. His unemployment benefits will run out soon, leaving the newlyweds with two mortgages and heavy hearts.

"I definitely cannot think about getting pregnant now," said Montag, a marketing communications manager for a nonprofit organization in St. Paul, Minn. "I hope that a new job and a house sale will change things for us. But I am not too confident about the future right now."

As the financial crisis reverberates through Wall Street, Washington and beyond, it is taking a personal toll on couples who are making the painful decision to postpone starting -- or growing -- their families. Once hopeful about their ability to provide for children, prospective parents are now filled with gnawing doubts as jobs vanish, retirement savings dwindle and housing prices fall -- even as the cost of having and raising a child rises.

Many economists fear that the current recession will become one of the worst since the Great Depression. When that hit in the 1930s, the birthrate dropped precipitously, and the effects of having fewer people in the workforce rippled through the economy two decades later.

"If you can't pay your mortgage, the last thing on your mind is to have another child," said Dr. Khalil Tabsh, chief of obstetrics at UCLA, who expects to start seeing a drop in pregnancies.

Baby booms and busts are reliable, if lagging, economic indicators, intertwined with the rise and fall of the nation's fortunes. For three-quarters of a century, economic downturns have triggered declines in the U.S. fertility rate, which, at about two children per woman, is the highest among rich nations. The fertility rate hit its post-World War II low of 1.7 in 1976, after the oil shortage and a severe recession.

With the country in a recession since December 2007, accompanied by a stock market plunge and growing numbers of people losing their jobs and homes, 8 in 10 Americans say they are anxious about the economy, a recent survey by the American Psychological Assn. showed.

Demographers say it's too early to tell what effect that anxiety will have on the U.S. birthrate, which is already difficult to forecast with so many factors in play, including immigration and birth control. They don't expect the current recession to lower the rate below the so-called replacement level, at which each couple reproduces itself.

But they do say that the rate could drop if the economic slump is deep and protracted. "We'll know in about nine months," said Carl Haub, a demographer for the Population Research Bureau, a private company in Washington. "It depends on how low it goes."

For now at least, childbearing is a family issue, not a national one.

Re: (@) delaying kids because of the recession?

• Baby booms and busts are reliable, if lagging, economic indicators, intertwined with the rise and fall of the nation's fortunes. For three-quarters of a century, economic downturns have triggered declines in the U.S. fertility rate.

Interesting, and in direct conflict with my local news from last week!  They did a fluff piece on the local am news show that bad economic times = MORE babies......because people are flat broke so they stay home and have sex, which is free. 

Anything you can achieve through hard work, you could also just buy.
  • We're putting it off for financial and scared-to-death to be responsible for a child right now reasons. ?The financial reasons really have nothing to do with the economy though. ?We'd just like to have more in savings than we currently do and have investments that will cover $15K USD a year international school.
  • Unless one of us did lose our jobs in the next six months *knock wood* I think we'll still plan on ttc next year.  I'm more worried about whether or not we're smart to buy a house next year, which we also want to do.  We're planning on buying well below our means and with a 3-5k down payment (not much but better than nothing?) so I don't know.  If I have to wait much longer I'll kill somebody ;)
  • I think that I'd be nervous if I didn't know what it was like to have a DC yet, but now that he's here, we just make it work somehow...cut a little out here, a little out there, etc.  I worried about this type of thing a lot pre-DS, but since he was born, I've become a firm believer in doing the best you can to prepare and dealing with it as it comes from there. 

As far as the economy goes, "This too shall pass."  Quite frankly, even once the economy improves, it's still highly likely that there will be other economic hardships over the time that we're raising kids anyway.  I think if you're otherwise prepared it won't make a huge difference if you TTC now or later.  The couple in the article had two mortgages, so it doesn't seem like they're as otherwise prepared as they could be yet.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I thought about postponing since my DH works for the auto industry and could be laid off very soon. But then we decided to screw it. Literally and metaphorically. We have savings so we're willing to risk it.
  • We're waiting anyway because we just don't make all that much at this point in our lives.  That would be the case with or without a recession.
    Well, that would be telling

[url]http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9786320[/url]
  • image caden:
    I thought about postponing since my DH works for the auto industry and could be laid off very soon. But then we decided to screw it. Literally and metaphorically. We have savings so we're willing to risk it.

lol. that's exactly where we are. although every so often, i get pangs of panic. 

• We would never TTC without appropriate $$ coming in. We aren't in a perfect financial situation, but we know that will change since we have been paying down debts and also dealing with the thrills of home-ownership like getting a new furnace. If things got bad with kid #1 we wouldn't get kid #2 until we thought we could afford them. Having said that - you can't delay kids forever and not everyone is comfortable with being an older parent.

• I think that if anyone TTC has doubts about their financial ability to support a child, delaying is an excellent idea.  These little buggers cost beaucoup bucks in ways you would never expect, and we haven't even hit the expensive stage yet. Hmm
  • As of right now we are still planning on TTC in the spring. We will put it off if our finances change before then. I won't say it doesn't make me nervous, though.
    So it goes.
  • The recession and my love for sleep have me holding out.
    "HOW many US citizens and ranchers have been decapitated in Arizona by roving bands of paperless aliens, and how will a requirement that I have papers on me make that not happen?"courtesy of SueSue
  • image MeredithE:
    ...my love for sleep have me holding out.

God, I think this scares me more than the recession. lol

So it goes.
  • image Emmybean:

image MeredithE:

You will be amazed at your ability to function on less sleep.  I'm the world's biggest wuss and need 8 hours just to function, yet I survived both of my kids' infancy without losing too many brain cells or banging into too many walls.

• image is_it_over_yet?:
    image Emmybean:

image MeredithE:

You will be amazed at your ability to function on less sleep.  I'm the world's biggest wuss and need 8 hours just to function, yet I survived both of my kids' infancy without losing too many brain cells or banging into too many walls.

It's not so much me Im worried about. If you have ever seen me woken up when I wasn't ready to be, you would understand. 

So it goes.
  • image is_it_over_yet?:
    image Emmybean:

image MeredithE:

Promise me!!!!!!! 

"HOW many US citizens and ranchers have been decapitated in Arizona by roving bands of paperless aliens, and how will a requirement that I have papers on me make that not happen?"courtesy of SueSue
  • image Emmybean:
    image is_it_over_yet?:
    image Emmybean:

image MeredithE:

It's not so much me Im worried about. If you have ever seen me woken up when I wasn't ready to be, you would understand. 

BTDT.  Seriously, you'll be fine, and no one will have to call CYS on behalf of your kids.  And yes, Meredith, I promise! Smile

• image is_it_over_yet?:
    image Emmybean:
    image is_it_over_yet?:
    image Emmybean:

image MeredithE:

BTDT.  Seriously, you'll be fine, and no one will have to call CYS on behalf of your kids.  And yes, Meredith, I promise! Smile

Ditto this!  I'm a total bear when someone wakes me up when I don't want to get up.  In fact, growing up my family knew not to even talk to me in the a.m. b/c I was so grumpy.  However, somehow it's totally different when you're in "Momma Mode."  I'm very rarely grumpy with DS even with the tiniest amount of sleep, and for the most part, I've functioned very well in general with little sleep.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • image CD+AL:
    image is_it_over_yet?:
    image Emmybean:
    image is_it_over_yet?:
    image Emmybean:

image MeredithE:

Ditto this!  I'm a total bear when someone wakes me up when I don't want to get up.  In fact, growing up my family knew not to even talk to me in the a.m. b/c I was so grumpy.  However, somehow it's totally different when you're in "Momma Mode."  I'm very rarely grumpy with DS even with the tiniest amount of sleep, and for the most part, I've functioned very well in general with little sleep.

This is why nature makes babies so irresistibly adorable. I'm the biggest grouch ever when I'm woken up, but I see her little face and I can't be mad. I just melt, even in my worst moods.

"I
  • It isnt the econ making us wait... it is our relationship and us both being ready!
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • There are no rules about shaking your husband, right? That's what Im most worried about. He's not nearly as cute as an infant.
    So it goes.
  • image Emmybean:
    There are no rules about shaking your husband, right? That's what Im most worried about. He's not nearly as cute as an infant.

Haha yeah that's the problem. I think that's actually part of why marriages are under so much stress with a new baby. I would get frustrated at the baby but I couldn't take it out on her, so I'd take it out on him. Once I realized I was doing this, I stopped, but it's sneaky.

"I
  • Oh, Gypsy...you and me are sailing on the same slow boat to Hades so...

H and I definitely were talking TTC in 2009. We pushed that back until the middle of the year when we found out we'll probably have the opportunity to go to China in July (ie, a birthday gift from my travel agent mother. Trust me, we can't afford it on our own!) We decided to start trying there and maybe bring home a little souvenir ;)

But my company's announcement this week has us even re-thinking THAT. I guess we'll just have to see where we are at that point, how my job "security" is and what else we've managed to sock into our savings between now and then.

Right now, we have an emergency fund that would take care of the both of us for five months if I was to lose my job; but adding a baby to that? That would get awfully, awfully scary.

Long story short--ask me this again in six months. I may have a better answer. But yes, the economy is something we are taking into account in regards to our starting a family.

• Everyone at work keeps telling me... when are you guys going to start having children. but we really want to wait until we are more financially stale (more being the key word) Everyone keeps telling me that you are never completely ready and it just takes a leap of faith but we want to wait till we are more ready then we are now... lol
    Happily Ever After is so much fun Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Visit The Nest! Married June 2007 Started TTC August 2010 Diagnosed with PCOS March 2011 Started Process to become Foster Parents September 2012
  • We just shelled out $12k for IVF.  If it doesn't work, affording IVF#2 is going to be tougher than expected.
    IVF w/ ICSI #2 - fraternal twins born December 2010 at 36 weeks.