Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

OSCARS in one week

I am so excited for the Oscars.  It's one of my hobbies, and I have been following the race since August or September.  It's weird how many early frontrunners, like The Master, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Laura Linney, didn't even end up nominated.

Do you have any predictions?

Here are the five categories I'm most certain of:  Picture-Argo, Actor-Daniel Day-Lewis, Supporting Actress-Hathaway, Foreign Film-Amour, Visual Effects-Life of Pi.

After those, it's much harder.  I have no clue about sound editing, the screenplays, or best supporting actor.  It's very up in the air this time.

Of the nominated movies, I've seen Argo, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Zero Dark Thirty, and Skyfall.  I liked them all, but I'd pick Lincoln best pic.

now i know how Nancy Kerrigan felt. that's insight into SCARY ISLAND. you have no clue what really went down.

Re: OSCARS in one week

• I LOVE the Oscars too!  I think the biggest tossup category is best supporting actor.  The other major categories are pretty set, I think.  I think Argo will win best pic but it's just such an oddity this year because Affleck didn't get the director nod and the best actor statue is definitely going to Daniel Day Lewis (the usual situation is that best actor, director and pic all go to the same pic---there are many exceptions but that's the general "rule").  It should be a great show---can't wait!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Yeah, supporting actor is anybody's guess.  I have Waltz right now but am not too confident.  I would think De Niro, but the third isn't given so easily, and DDL is already getting Best Actor.  I can't imagine DDL, Spielberg, and De Niro all getting the third in one night after Meryl was nominated again and again and again without winning hers.

I am going out on a limb and saying Waltz and Lee, but I wouldn't be too shocked to be wrong.

Animated, Original Screenplay, and Sound Editing are also crapshoots as well.  Production Design I'm not sure about, either.  Those are the ones that will lose me the pool for sure.

now i know how Nancy Kerrigan felt. that's insight into SCARY ISLAND. you have no clue what really went down.
  • Wow! You were right on Waltz and Lee!-- I'm impressed. :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Yeah, I went 22-2 in Oscar pools, missing only production design and documentary short.  I was so proud and excited!!!
  • Impressive! Kudos to you! :)
  • I've been picking for fun since I was sixteen.  This year, I really went for it.  To be quite honest, I lost by one category last year and felt that the winner was condescending to me, so I went after it full-bore, analyzing the sites and podcasts, the whole nine yards.  The coolest thing is that as a prize from one of the sites I get all the Best Picture contenders when they come out.
  • Wow - that's a great prize! I've also been making picks since high school but I've never gotten that close :) 
  • On FunOfficePools, there was an Awards Circuit pool that was giving the best picture contenders.  I will get them in May after the last best pic dvd comes out.  I think it's Silver Linings Playbook.

Awards Daily was giving a similar prize, I think.

If you want good predictions, check out Gold Derby.  Their picks are usually right except for 5 or 6.  For example, I went my own way this year on director, animated feature, makeup, and supporting actor and got them all right.