Dallas-Fort Worth Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

carla!

Your brine recipe was delicious! DH and two friends were here, along with an international student from DHs study group, and they said it was the best turkey they have ever had!  Thanks for sharing!

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/dq66tg.png[/IMG]

Re: carla!

• I'm so glad it worked out!!?
    Photobucket
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Okay can you repost? I've got another turkey to make for christmas (thankfully not as big since we'll have ham too!)?

Thanks!?

Gavin & April married 6.26.04
  • Sure! It's basically a slightly adapted version of the Out of this World Turkey Brine on allrecipes.

?INGREDIENTS

2 gallons water
    1 1/2 cups kosher salt
    6-8 peeled whole garlic cloves
    1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/3 cup brown sugar

DIRECTIONS

In a saucepan, boil 2 quarts of water and salt, garlic, peppercorns, worcestershire sauce, and sugar until salt and sugar are dissolved. Add remaining cold water and cool brine, then add to turkey. Williams Sonoma sells brine bags, but this year I used an XL Ziploc big bag and set it down in a plastic bin in the fridge. Worked perfectly! ?Soak turkey in brine for 12-24 hours, rinse completely before roasting.

You can add more seasoning before roasting (I stuff it full of celery, onions, garlic, and smother in olive oil) but I wouldn't add more salt after brining.?

Photobucket
  • I didn't add anything else to it before roasting; I just rubbed it with some butter and cooked it in a turkey bag.  I wanted to try Alton's roasting method, but I figured one new thing at a time.  I have made a turkey almost every year for the past ten years, and this was seriously my favorite.  I was so nervous about brining the turkey, and it turned out to be super easy and yummy!
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/dq66tg.png[/IMG]
  • I used Alton Brown's roasting method this year, and while it was good that it definitely cooked faster (I was pressed for time and needed it to) i definitely thought last year's turkey I roasted using Kidd Kraddick's brown bag roasting technique was better.
    Photobucket