Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

WIJFR: The Poisonwood Bible NS

I loved this book so much from the first word to the last.  This is my first Kingsolver novel and if all of her writing is like this, I'm going to devour it all.

The characters are so distinct and you never have to double-check at the beginning of the chapter to see who is narrating.  I think the character of Adah is my favorite.  I enjoyed seeing her mature throughout the story and the way her mind worked for each action.

I'm not a religious person but the idea of religion is fascinating to me so it was interesting to see how it was used throughout the book. 

Also, the book is really a character study.  If you don't like character driven books, it isn't for you.  I put it in the same category as Grapes of Wrath and 100 Years of Solitude.  It takes some warming up but watching it blossom is worth it.  I read this for my IRL book club discussion tonight and I can't wait.

Nicolle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: WIJFR: The Poisonwood Bible NS

• I LOOOOOOOVED this book. I read it a long time ago but it has totally stuck with me.

Glad you loved it! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Jen748Jen748 member
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    I read this years and years ago with my mom and we both really enjoyed it!
    Sammie born 04/23/09 (Peanut allergy)
    Emmett born 01/28/2013

2015 Books Read 3 * 2014 Books Read: 151
    2013 Books Read: 90 * 2012 Books Read: 125
    2011 Books Read: 150  * 2010 Books Read: 117

Jennie Writes Words ~~~ We Still Read ~~~ Presidential Challenge
  • I've owned this book since 2006, and have never read it!  I should bump it up my list!
    Sarah's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • EliStarEliStar member
    Ninth Anniversary 10000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    Hmm, this is one of those books I've been meaning to read forever. I should probably do that because it sounds like I would love it! 

image image
              Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• After reading this book and Molokai, I realized that I just do not like books that span a character's entire life. I always thought I preferred character-driven books, and I like I do, but within a time period, not a whole lifetime.I was very frustrated reading this book because it was just TOO LONG with these characters.

That said, I find myself thinking about this book quite often. The writing was awesome, and it has obviously stuck with me in a big way.

image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • glad you liked it! I think I've read it a dozen times or more, every time I do I appreciate it differently. I loved Adah's character, but I think Orleanna is my current favorite.
    [IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/241w8sm.png[/IMG]

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt16cc0b.aspx[/img][/url]