What's Cooking?
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Need party help- Luau party!

We are throwing my BFF a surprise graduation party with a luau theme. If you've been/hosted a luau style party, could you please tell me: 1. Food? 2. Drinks? 3. Decorations? I thought we could "lei" everyone at the party. We are asking everyone to dress up luau/beach style. Total party would be around 50-70 people total (including children). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
ETA: I'd love to have a "signature" luau drink that is non-alcoholic so both children and adults can enjoy. Bonus if you can link a recipe!

Re: Need party help- Luau party!

• Here's the menu from a Luau themed bridal shower I threw last fall: 

Cocktails:

?         Roy?s Hawaiian Martinis

?         Prosecco

?         Water with Assorted Fruit (Dispenser)

Savory:

?         Tiki Snack Mix

?         Caramelized Maui Onion Dip with Chips & Veggies

?         Coconut Shrimp with Mango Sauce (The Fresh Market)

?         Brie in Phyllo cups with Fruit Salsa

?         Teriyaki Grilled Pork and Pineapple Sliders

Sweet:

?         Kinky Liquor Jelly Shots

?         Fruit Skewers with Mango Dip

?         Haupia Pie Shooters with Macadamia Shortbread

?         Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Mai Tai Buttercream

• I've used recipes from here before. http://www.paradisefoundonline.com/luau-recipes.html

Food: pulled pork sliders, coleslaw, ham or chicken and pineapple skewers, fruit salad, stir fry noodles, macadamia nuts, fried plantains, corn on the cob, baked beans, pineapple upside down cake or cupcakes, fruit sherbet or sorbet, coconut cake or cupcakes

Drinks: mai tai, pineapple crush,  pina coladas, blue hawaiians, mojitos, sangria, lemonade, ice tea, lemonade & ice tea mix, fruit punch

Decor: tiki bar sign, leis, coconuts, palm trees, etc. Oriental Trading has a ton of luau stuff on there. Some of it may be too cheap or kiddie looking but I'm sure you can find something. 

• I made pulled bbq pork sliders and it was super easy, farily cheap and everyone loved them.  I just got 2 large pork loins and slow cooked them in orange soda, oranges, apple cider vinegar, apricot jam and bbq sauce.  It took about 8 hrs until it was falling apart for pulled pork.  I put out the crock pots, with a basket of Hawaiian buns and a variety of bbq sauces.

I also smoked a ton of chicken breasts.  My step dad did most of the work for that but it was pretty easy as well.

For decor, I purchased some things from Oriental Trading and got everything else from Deals/The Dollar Tree.  They usually get in a ton of (cheap!) luau decor in the spring.  The main thing that made everything look tropical was grass table skirts.

For our specialty drink, I soaked rum in pineapple and served it mixed with 7up so that is not child friendly!

Favorite Flower

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/24g24xe.jpg[/IMG]
  • Macadamia nut pie

Haupia

Bread Pudding with Haupia Sauce

Shoyu chicken

Kalua pork

Poke

Furikake encrusted ahi

White rice scooped in balls

Lomilomi salmon

Teriyaki beef/chicken

macaroni salad

shave ice-would be a hit with the kids

• Really simple, but we made fruit kabobs for our luau party - so easy and people loved it... just cut up watermelon, honeydew, pineapple, strawberries and grapes ... then stuck them on a wooden kabob stick!
    [IMG]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p609/Stephanielee1112/3a44b450.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p609/Stephanielee1112/e8294769.jpg[/IMG]