Fashion & Beauty
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

XP: NFBR: Parents, how much can I charge as an overnight babysitter

I babysit on nights and weekends and was asked to overnight babysit for one of my families. The kids are elementary school age and pretty self sufficient (though I will be making all of the meals, etc.) The parents will be gone for about 24 hours (from early afternoon to afternoon). I usually charge $10 an hour, regardless of the number of kids or time of babysitting, but I know that $240 would be a ridiculous amount to charge.

So, any idea what a reasonable flat fee would be in this situation? Should I just email back and ask what she had in mind? 

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2m6jyp4.jpg[/IMG]

Re: XP: NFBR: Parents, how much can I charge as an overnight babysitter

• The sitter I just hired also charges $10 hour (for 1 child) and said an overnight was $50 (I assume that is for the hours that the kids are sleeping, say 7pm to 7am although I didn't get further details on it).
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Hmmmm...I have no clue.  I would definitely leave the ball in her court with an amount and go from there.  I pay $10/hr for a babysitter although I've never had anyone overnight.  I'd probably say at least $150???  Will the kids be in school during the day in your 24hours or is it a weekend?
  • image MrsE:
    Hmmmm...I have no clue.  I would definitely leave the ball in her court with an amount and go from there.  I pay $10/hr for a babysitter although I've never had anyone overnight.  I'd probably say at least $150???  Will the kids be in school during the day in your 24hours or is it a weekend?

It's a weekend so no school or activities. 

• image BethaBoo:

image MrsE:
    Hmmmm...I have no clue.  I would definitely leave the ball in her court with an amount and go from there.  I pay $10/hr for a babysitter although I've never had anyone overnight.  I'd probably say at least $150???  Will the kids be in school during the day in your 24hours or is it a weekend?

It's a weekend so no school or activities. 

I stick to my $150 minimum.  You don't have to 'charge' for 9 hours of sleep so you would be with them for about 15 hours, therefore, $150.  IDK though...I could be way off ;)

• For an overnight house-sitter (not baby), we typically pay $50.

We haven't had to pay an overnight baysitter yet (MIL does it for free) but I would just ask them what they are thinking.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • FYI - Business related questions, such as how much to charge, are not allowed on TN. I'm leaving it, but keep it in mind for future posts.
    A big old middle finger to you, stupid Nest.
  • Thank you for the advice! I think you are right, MrsE - $150 is probably fair.
  • image pixy_stix:
    FYI - Business related questions, such as how much to charge, are not allowed on TN. I'm leaving it, but keep it in mind for future posts.

Really??? What is the possible harm in this? She's not offering her services to other Nesties. 

• In college I was a nanny for a family where both parents worked overnight (nurses) and I charged a flat rate...I either worked from 6pm-7:30am (included giving dinner, bedtime, breakfast in the morning and getting the kids to the bus stop up the street) for that shift I charged $75. The other time slot I worked was from 8pm-7:30am (same expectations but no dinner needed to be given), for this shift I charged $50. If I were to do a 24-hour gig I would probably charge your normal $10/hour for the day time hours (like 8-5pm) then do a flat rate for the evening/overnight hours since like pp said, depending on the kids bedtimes you are literally just sitting at their house in case something goes wrong, not really "doing" anything, kwim? HTH!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I recently did two overnights in a row and they gave me $140.  I had a couple friends that told me that was too low, but I thought it was sufficient.
    Photobucket
  • I used to work for a private breeder full time, who had a full kennel in his house.  My normal day was 8 hours but when they went out of town I stayed at their house overnight.  I could come and go as I pleased as long as I fed at the correct times and completed my normal routine and I made $150 for every 24 hours they were gone.  And this was dogs, not kids.

I would not consider doing it for less than about that unless it was a family friend you just wanted to do a favor for.  

Favorite Flower

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/24g24xe.jpg[/IMG]
  • In college, I worked for a woman who had a special needs child. Our regular hourly rate was $10/hour and the overnight rate was $80 flat. It was very easy, too, as the caregiver scheduled prior would get the girl ready for bed. The overnight usually consisted of showing up at 9pm (the child was already asleep), doing whatever I wanted, then in the morning, either waiting for the mom or 2nd caregiver to get there, or getting the girl ready and taking her to school.

Usually I would book the afternoon and overnight, or overnight and next-day shifts together, so I got paid my regular $10 for the usual shifts + $80 for the over night. 

• image pixy_stix:
    FYI - Business related questions, such as how much to charge, are not allowed on TN. I'm leaving it, but keep it in mind for future posts.

Is this really considered a business thing? Not being snarky, just curious and confused. She isn't offering services...how is this different from someone asking how much to pay their sitter or tip their hairdresser?

Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers