Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

East Coast recs please

We are trying to plan a long weekend away at the end of June.  We were considering Boston but the hotel cost there is just outrageous so that is out.  Does anyone have any recommendations along the east coast for fun beach towns?  Particularly in the VA Beach, NJ or Baltimore area because that is drivable for us.  No one in our group has been anywhere in any of these areas.  It will be a group of us in our 20's and we are all active.  We like wine, beer, hiking, boating and hanging at the beach.  Any recs?! TIA
Favorite Flower

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/24g24xe.jpg[/IMG]

Re: East Coast recs please

• I'm not sure what you mean by outrageous hotel prices (in regards to Boston), but keep in mind hotel prices on weekends in beach towns are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. I know that a 2.5 hotel in Ocean City, Maryland, can go for $175/night on Friday and Saturday nights during the summer.
  • You could always Priceline a hotel in Boston if you wanted to come.  I've heard people talk about getting great deals that way. 

What dates were you looking at?  I don't think our hotels are any more expensive than other comparable cities so perhaps you were looking at a graduation weekend or some other event.

ETA: Sorry, I missed the "late June" part the first time around.  I still think Priceline is the way to go, or look at alternative places like John Jeffries House or Club Quarters.  

I'd rather be rock climbing or playing volleyball
    image image
  • You're not going to do any better on weekend hotel costs at the Jersey Shore than you are in Boston after Memorial Day.  I hear that Ocean City, MD is fun, and less expensive.

Yeah that's right my name's Yauch!
  • I personally prefer Rehoboth, DE, over Ocean City, MD, but it depends on what you are looking for.  Rehoboth is a cute little beach town with lots of decent restaurants and cute stores (as well as some kitschy ones).  OC is much bigger (lots of high-rises) and kind of run-down in some spots, although there are definitely nice parts as well; you'll also have more hotel options.  If you stay in Rehoboth, you have Cape Henelopen state park nearby, and if you stay in OC, you have Assateague.  Rehoboth and OC are only about an hour apart though (depending on summer traffic), so you can stay in one and still visit the other.  
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby248 - ETA 1/10/13
  • image osumelissa:
    I'm not sure what you mean by outrageous hotel prices (in regards to Boston), but keep in mind hotel prices on weekends in beach towns are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. I know that a 2.5 hotel in Ocean City, Maryland, can go for $175/night on Friday and Saturday nights during the summer.

The prices I was finding in Boston were $250-400+ per night in the downtown area. 

I was hoping if we went to a beach town, we could rent a house or cottage for less than that split among all of us.

Favorite Flower

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/24g24xe.jpg[/IMG]
  • image Wine Enthusiast:

image osumelissa:
    I'm not sure what you mean by outrageous hotel prices (in regards to Boston), but keep in mind hotel prices on weekends in beach towns are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. I know that a 2.5 hotel in Ocean City, Maryland, can go for $175/night on Friday and Saturday nights during the summer.

The prices I was finding in Boston were $250-400+ per night in the downtown area. 

I was hoping if we went to a beach town, we could rent a house or cottage for less than that split among all of us.

As a warning, it will be hard to find a condo or house in the summer time at a beach town that will rent for any period of time less than a week. Most places do week rentals only during the peak season; you will have to look hard for ones that rent for long weekends or weekends only. You may be able to find a few, but you will need to act fast especially since it is May and summer season starts in less than a month.

I would consider using Priceline for Boston - we went in late July a few years ago and got a hotel for $130/night using Priceline.

• image Wine Enthusiast:

image osumelissa:

If you wanted to do Boston and the Beach, I would recommend rented a house down the Cape (or even North or South Shore) and then taking a day trip into the city a day or two. There are a lot of fun and charming places like Chatham, P-town or even Falmouth. I've only driven through Jersey, but I can imagine that gets pricey in the summer too, so maybe Myrtle Beach or somewhere in the Carolinas. My cousins always rent a house on the beach down there, and it usually pretty affordable and the beach would be warmer than up north at that point :)

• I'll throw out OC Maryland and Rehoboth Beach DE again.  I live about 30 minutes from Ocean City.  If you want a beach town atmosphere with a few good bars and great outlet shopping you'd like Rehoboth.  If you want more nightlife/club atmosphere mixed with a lot of young twenties in there you'd like Ocean City more.  Both have a boardwalk although the one in OC is longer.  I like the beach of Rehoboth more because it is not as wide from the boardwalk to the water, but thats personal preference.  Rehoboth is a bit quieter but by no means empty.  Ocean City can get super packed in the summer.

As one of the PP mentioned you have to rent a condo on a weekly basis, and hotels in the summer usually expect at least a two night rent over the weekends.  Prices can vary widely at each beach.

• image Summer6289:

I'll throw out OC Maryland and Rehoboth Beach DE again.  I live about 30 minutes from Ocean City.  If you want a beach town atmosphere with a few good bars and great outlet shopping you'd like Rehoboth.  If you want more nightlife/club atmosphere mixed with a lot of young twenties in there you'd like Ocean City more.  Both have a boardwalk although the one in OC is longer.  I like the beach of Rehoboth more because it is not as wide from the boardwalk to the water, but thats personal preference.  Rehoboth is a bit quieter but by no means empty.  Ocean City can get super packed in the summer.

As one of the PP mentioned you have to rent a condo on a weekly basis, and hotels in the summer usually expect at least a two night rent over the weekends.  Prices can vary widely at each beach.

Summer, I am from Salisbury as well :)

• image osumelissa:
    image Summer6289:

I'll throw out OC Maryland and Rehoboth Beach DE again.  I live about 30 minutes from Ocean City.  If you want a beach town atmosphere with a few good bars and great outlet shopping you'd like Rehoboth.  If you want more nightlife/club atmosphere mixed with a lot of young twenties in there you'd like Ocean City more.  Both have a boardwalk although the one in OC is longer.  I like the beach of Rehoboth more because it is not as wide from the boardwalk to the water, but thats personal preference.  Rehoboth is a bit quieter but by no means empty.  Ocean City can get super packed in the summer.

Summer, I am from Salisbury as well :)

Oh! Small world haha.  My DH and I are actually migrating south this summer...I'm going to miss being so close to the water!