Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

A question on trilogies

For my RL book club, someone has suggested we read The Jewel of St. Petersburg next month.  After it was suggested, we realized that it's actually Book 3 of a trilogy, but it's supposed to be a Prequel. 

So... typically I only read trilogies/series in order, but because this is a prequel maybe it won't matter if we read it first/on its own.  People are kind of split as to whether to read The Jewel of St. Petersburg, as suggested, or read The Russian Concubine, which is the first book in the series.

What are your thoughts?  Since it's a prequel, do you think the actual publishing order is a moot point?  Or is it still important?

Has anyone read this book/series?  Thoughts on the series itself?

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
*My Blog*
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
10/50 Read

my read shelf:
Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: A question on trilogies

• I haven't read the series, but if it were me, I'd read the first book regardless of the third being a prequel.  I don't have any real reason for thinking it other than that #3 might have some details in it that would be better understood if you've read the first two.
    116 books in 2016

my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wes: 10/8/2012

• I've read The Jewel of St. Petersburg and I can honestly say I had no idea it a prequel.  I thought it was just #1 in a series.  I liked it and thought it was a good book.  I've yet to read The Russian Concubine.
    My Chart
    My Goodreads Read Shelf

* After 22 months and 2 failed IUIs, we finally got our BFP *
    DS delivered naturally at 41w6d on 4/18/14
    * TTC #2  March 2015 *

• I think it depends on the author's intent. Is it sold and packaged as Book 3 of a trilogy? Or is it part of a series and it just happened to be the first one published?

Take the Star Wars prequels. You COULD watch Phantom Menace before watching the original, but it's technically the 4th movie in the series, right? Or Chronicles of Narnia, which we talked about earlier this week, which you can technically read out of the published order.

I'd read some reviews and/or the synopsis and decide from there.

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • FWIW, this series is on my TBR list, and I plan on starting with the Russian Concubine. I'd just be worried that I might be missing something if I started with the Jewel of St. Petersburg, even if it is a prequel.

My Crockpot Blog

DS born 2.28.13 at 31w1d 

• I have this book on my TBR list and didn't realize it was #3! But, when I do go to read it, I'll read the first two first.. but that's me. I hate spoilers, even little tiny ones, and there might be something in this book that could give stuff away in the other two..

Anniversary 

Books Read in 2014: 10 
  • I read this book before it was indicated that it was part of a series/prequel.  I haven't read any of the other books so I think it can be stand alone without an issue. 
    Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 110
    Books read in 2014: 151
    Books read in 2015: 153
    Books read in 2016: 31

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/1zWJm6.png
    <a href="//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" style="height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medi
  • image SnShne322:
    I haven't read the series, but if it were me, I'd read the first book regardless of the third being a prequel.  I don't have any real reason for thinking it other than that #3 might have some details in it that would be better understood if you've read the first two.

This exactly 

my read shelf:
    Jennifer *th!nks3xy*'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image msmerymac:

I'd read some reviews and/or the synopsis and decide from there.

I did this (good idea!), and it actually looks like it will be okay to start with this one.  Some people actually recommended beginning with Book 3 so the ending isn't spoiled.  I really dislike reading out of sequence, but it's not my pick so I guess we'll see how it goes.  I think it will be okay and we won't miss out on anything important or spoil the rest of the story!

Thanks for everyone's input!

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image packfan20:
    I read this book before it was indicated that it was part of a series/prequel.  I haven't read any of the other books so I think it can be stand alone without an issue. 

So wait... was this originally not part of a series then?

I'm glad to hear you think it can stand alone from experience!  Thanks!

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • image sbevmc09:

image packfan20:
    I read this book before it was indicated that it was part of a series/prequel.  I haven't read any of the other books so I think it can be stand alone without an issue. 

So wait... was this originally not part of a series then?

I'm glad to hear you think it can stand alone from experience!  Thanks!

I'm sure it was always part of it but you know on Goodreads, how it doesn't always say it's a series right away?  I know that the "(The Russian Concubine #3 (Prequel))" that Goodreads shows now was not there when I read it.  I believe you get introduced to all the characters in this book (hence the prequel) and if you read the other two first, you might know how this book will turn out.

I gave it four stars and don't remember being confused because I didn't know the backstory.  I think you could have a good discussion from it 

Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 110
    Books read in 2014: 151
    Books read in 2015: 153
    Books read in 2016: 31

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/1zWJm6.png
    <a href="//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" style="height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medi