Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Travel agent rec? Or, how did you book travel to Europe?

I need some guidance planning a trip to Europe at the end of May, most likely France.  Any Baltimore travel agent recs?  Preferably easy to get to from 83?

And/or, if you've been to Europe, how did you plan and book travel?

Re: Travel agent rec? Or, how did you book travel to Europe?

• Honestly, I read some guide books asked my sister/friends for recs and did it myself. To be fair though, I felt more comfortable doing it that way since I had been to Europe when I was younger and I like to have control over things, rather than have a travel agent do it.

ETA: I used the Lonely Planet and RIck Steve's guides.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I did it on my own also, for trips to Ireland and England. I read Foder's recs and TripAdvisor.com for what to do and where to stay and built a trip out of that. It takes a little time, but it was definitely worth it. GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I booked our 12 day trip to Italy through europeandestinations.com in 2009, and we had a great experience with them.  We went to three cities within Italy, and booked the hotels, flights and trains between cities through them with no issues.   For the other parts of the trip (i.e. side trips, tours, etc.), I just researched those and booked them myself.  I cross checked the hotels they recommended on trip advisor, and they all had great reviews (and we were happy with them). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Meant to add that Rick Steves books were very helpful to us.  We had one for each city we went to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We've either booked things on our own or taken a tour. When we've booked things on our own, I've usually consulted a guidebook and booked things like flights, hotels and a few attractions together with a site like Expedia.
  • Ragdolls Mom is a travel agent.  I haven't used her, but I know several knotties did and they were all very happy.

After the fiasco we had with the transfers for our cruise in Rome, I fully intend on using a travel agent next time we book something.  My 6 week pregnant self was stuck on a dock with no shade, no water and no bathroom waiting for our transfer to show up.  They finally got there about 2 hours after everyone else had departed. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I planned our trip for 7 people to Ireland in 2004, and planned our trip for 4 people to Ireland and Scotland in 2009. I found it very easy, and I like detail-oriented stuff like that :)
    ed + dani 10.31.08 | miranda 04.10.07 | liam 09.06.12
    [IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2jezlp3.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2rx75vm.jpg[/IMG]
  • We used AAA for our trip last summer.

For booking tours at the attractions, I HIGHLY recommend viator.com.  We had absolutely wonderful experiences on all of the tours we booked through them (in France, we did the walking tour of Montmarte, but we also did several tours through them in Italy that were incredible).

• And I second the Rick Steves books..they were our go-to while we were there!
  • We are also booking a trip to Europe in May. I've been looking at:

www.europeandestinations.com and www.virgin-vacations.com

So far I have liked them both but havent offically booked anything yet. They also had recommendations for things to do and could just add them on.

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker **FIRST TIME MOM**
  • Thanks for all of the suggestions- this gives me a lot to go on!