Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Gay marriage in MD?

So if O'Malley signs the bill (which he will since he sponsored the bill) and it makes it onto the ballot in November, what do you think will happen?  I'm hoping that the ultra conservatives wont come close to getting the number of signatures they need for a referendum.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Gay marriage in MD?

• Oh Its going to referendum IMO. The opponents are very motivated and are already preparing to collect signatures. It must be so exhausting to devote so much time and effort into taking away the rights and happiness of others. Just imagine if they put that energy toward a food drive, volunteering, feeding the hungry....they might actually make a difference in the world.

If you can't tell it gets me worked up and I do NOT support this going to referendum. It is wrong to let the majority vote on the rights of a minority group.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image mrs. remy:

Oh Its going to referendum IMO. The opponents are very motivated and are already preparing to collect signatures. It must be so exhausting to devote so much time and effort into taking away the rights and happiness of others. Just imagine if they put that energy toward a food drive, volunteering, feeding the hungry....they might actually make a difference in the world.

If you can't tell it gets me worked up and I do NOT support this going to referendum. It is wrong to let the majority vote on the rights of a minority group.

You said it so perfectly that I don't have anything to add! 
  • I also meant to add, if it does go to referendum it has a decent chance of getting overturned, just because the opposition is so fired up. While the majority of Marylanders DO support same sex marriage, the people who feel lukewarm about it are not likely to come out and vote in the same number that the opposition will.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Eh, it's not just the ultra-conservatives who are against it.  There's a lot of opposition from black church leaders, particularly in Baltimore, and they have their congregations rallied around them.  Those numbers, in addition to those filthy, ignorant ultra-conservatives, will push referendum.

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/23/147295677/the-dialogue-around-gay-marriage-in-black-churches

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/us/maryland-gay-marriage-faces-black-skepticism.html?pagewanted=all

Our Share of the Harvest: One couple's take on farm-to-table cooking

Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Strawberry Filling

• From what I've heard (from my gay friends)- it will go to referendum.  But then if Marylanders vote against it, it will become a big legal hoopla like what happened in CA.  In the end, it will be declared unconstitutional and gay marriage will be legal. It will just take a long time, and wasted money to get there.
  • I think it will definitely go to referendum and could be overturned unfortunately.  But I also hope that the 4th Circuit rules similar to the 9th and overturns the referendum if it gets that far.  The issue might be before the Supreme Court relatively soon though so that would make things interesting.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers