Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How was your weekend?

• Highs?
  • Lows?
  • Watch anything good?
  • Eat/make anything good?
  • Read anything good?
  • FFCs, vents, AWs, observations, comments?
  • What are you looking forward to this week?

Re: How was your weekend?

• Highs? Saturday was great all-around. Spent some time with my husband and daughter, then we dropped her off with Mom and went out on a date night. We had a dinner with his BFF & BFF's girlfriend at Stoney River (see eat anything good...), then all of us went to a hole-in-the-wall bar to meet a big group for karaoke. Sunday was a little downtime with my Mom, since Ed and I crashed there after karaoke, lunch together, and then home to meet up with Ed's friend, who hung around with us the rest of the day.

Lows? I had a poor night's sleep at my Mom's thanks to a combo of not being in my own bed and some sinus trouble. Oh, and I had to drive a friend home from karaoke shortly after she arrived because she was feeling sick. I don't see her often, so I was bummed.

ETA: And refereeing a fight between my Grandmother and Grandfather on Saturday. Dementia, possibly Alzheimer's, has turned her into a wholly unpleasant person to be around - for him. She's fine enough with the rest of us, but oh the venom she can aim in his direction. This is the second grandparent I've seen go through this and I know it's just what happens, and I know that we have to call her on her behavior when we witness it, but it's so heartbreaking. And it goes against everything I was taught, reprimanding my *grandmother* for her behavior. It's so hard for everyone.

Watch anything good? Nope, didn't watch any TV/movies this weekend.

Eat/make anything good? Dinner at Stoney River was ZOMG! I finally tried the lobster tail appetizer, then had their signature filet with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed spinach. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Read anything good? I finished "I've Got Your Number" by Sophie Kinsella, which isn't getting great reviews from what I've seen, but I thought it was cute. I'm almost done with "Home Front" by Kristin Hannah, which had me blubbering last night. It's incredible, but oh, it tore me up.

FFCs, vents, AWs, observations, comments? My husband's off on his first-ever business trip this week, and I'm kinda sad. I don't want to be one of "those women" who whines about her husband being gone for a couple of days, and I know full-well that I can manage just fine on my own, but I like him and I'll miss him.

He has to go back the following week, too. There's a chance that, instead of flying him home for the weekend, I'll by flying up (on the company's dime!) to spend the weekend with him. I really hate that he'd end up being away from Mia for such a long chunk of time, but I'm excited by a free trip for me and a weekend away for he and I. I should know today if I'm going or not - fingers are crossed!

What are you looking forward to this week? Possibly getting on a plane on Friday? Otherwise it's a pretty low-key week. Today I'm running a bunch of errands and I'll be helping Ed get his stuff together for the trip, but I don't have anything else lined up until the weekend.

ed + dani 10.31.08 | miranda 04.10.07 | liam 09.06.12<p>
    [IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2jezlp3.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2rx75vm.jpg[/IMG]
    • Highs? I had a great Pampered Chef party on Saturday, and then went to the new house and H had a ton of stuff already unpacked. Sunday I went to see my Grandfather and had dinner with him.

• Lows? Since I didn't really get any rest, I'm still sick :(
    • Watch anything good? Didn't really have time to watch any tv or movies.

• Eat/make anything good? I made my Grandfather fish sticks, mac-n-cheese, coleslaw, peas and garlic bread. It was so good!!

• Read anything good? I haven't been reading anything but my textbook lately :(

• FFCs, vents, AWs, observations, comments? I know this is a recurring theme, but the people I work with are all a$$holes! I have been sick all week, but was told to come in, so another reason why I am still sick a week after it started!

• What are you looking forward to this week? It's my Grandfather's 95th birthday!!
    Visit The Nest!
  • Highs? Got our big project of refinishing our doors/bannisters well underway. Very exciting! Had a nice date night on Saturday.

Lows? DH came upstairs at about 10pm last night with a fever of 101.2 that seemed to come out of nowhere. He's home sick today.

Watch anything good? Been watching the U.K. version of Being Human here and there. It's entertaining. And Water for Elephants. Rob Pattinson = smoking hot.

Eat/make anything good? These awesome blueberry scones from Wegman's. We grilled a TON of chicken and roasted a ton of veggies to have for dinner all week. Oh and we had Outback for date night. LOVE their wedge salad.

Read anything good? Reading Neil Gaiman's Stardust. Really liking it!

Comments? I had my annual exam this morning, and I love my doctor. She's so nice and doesn't make me feel rushed when I have questions, and I feel like she really listens to me. I'm so happy that when we do get pg, hopefully this year, she'll be my OB, so I won't have to find a new doc/practice. And she's very nearby, just about 1.5 miles from home.

What are you looking forward to this week? Working more on our door refinishing, not having to cook (since I made so much last night), and hopefully having a kind of slow work week.

BabyFruit Ticker
    • Highs? Got a lot done at the house and got done my work there yesterday super early so I had a lot of free time.
    • Lows? Still no word from the plumber on when we can come work on our master bath and our stupid tub walls for the hall bath won't be here until March 6th.
    • Watch anything good? Caught up on Shameless and Eastbound and Down.
    • Eat/make anything good?  We went out for bbq on Saturday and it was great.
    • Read anything good? Unfortunately I didn't crack open my book once.
    • FFCs, vents, AWs, observations, comments? Nothing really. I have a shower to co-host this weekend and I have a ton of stuff that has to be done last minute that I don't have time for. Plus I'm annoyed that it will take me away from working on the house for an entire day. My bridesmaid's dress is also supposed to arrive this week and I don't even want to look at it b/c I feel frumpy, pasty and fat.
    • What are you looking forward to this week? Getting new carpet Wednesday!
  • image EverAfter07:

Comments? I had my annual exam this morning, and I love my doctor. She's so nice and doesn't make me feel rushed when I have questions, and I feel like she really listens to me. I'm so happy that when we do get pg, hopefully this year, she'll be my OB, so I won't have to find a new doc/practice. And she's very nearby, just about 1.5 miles from home.

YAY!

Party!!!

Also: I can relate. I adore my OB and Primary SO much, and this is the first time in my life I've had doctors I actually *like*.

• image LoveLossHopeRepeat:

FFCs, vents, AWs, observations, comments? My husband's off on his first-ever business trip this week, and I'm kinda sad. I don't want to be one of "those women" who whines about her husband being gone for a couple of days, and I know full-well that I can manage just fine on my own, but I like him and I'll miss him.

He has to go back the following week, too. There's a chance that, instead of flying him home for the weekend, I'll by flying up (on the company's dime!) to spend the weekend with him. I really hate that he'd end up being away from Mia for such a long chunk of time, but I'm excited by a free trip for me and a weekend away for he and I. I should know today if I'm going or not - fingers are crossed!

Stupid me no passport..... :(

And refereeing a fight between my Grandmother and Grandfather on Saturday. Dementia, possibly Alzheimer's, has turned her into a wholly unpleasant person to be around - for him. She's fine enough with the rest of us, but oh the venom she can aim in his direction. This is the second grandparent I've seen go through this and I know it's just what happens, and I know that we have to call her on her behavior when we witness it, but it's so heartbreaking. And it goes against everything I was taught, reprimanding my *grandmother* for her behavior. It's so hard for everyone.

So sorry to hear that. My uncle's father went through this. He was the sweetest guy and when he got dementia he turned into an awful, belligerent, violent person. It was so sad to see him go through it. My thoughts are with you!

BabyFruit Ticker
    • Highs? My parents came over for dinner on Saturday (they haven't been over to our house in several months). I made beef stew that turned out really well and we got the living room/dining room cleaned up.
    • Lows? I had a lot of bad luck with the cake I made for this weekend.
    • Watch anything good? We started watching The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo...the Swedish version. I guess it's a TV miniseries? It's good so far.
    • Eat/make anything good? Beef stew which was yum, and I made a cake that was fine, but not great.
    • Read anything good? No.
    • FFCs, vents, AWs, observations, comments? I can't think of any right now.
    • What are you looking forward to this week? Possibly seeing our friends and their kids this weekend. Also, DS is 9 months on Thursday!!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
    image EverAfter07:

YAY!

Party!!!

Also: I can relate. I adore my OB and Primary SO much, and this is the first time in my life I've had doctors I actually *like*.

I'm so scared about the whole business of it! You try to hard for so long NOT to have it happen, you know? Haha. I feel the same way. This is the first time I feel like I have a doc and practice I'm completely comfortable with. I hope they keep taking my insurance!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image mdharris29:
    image LoveLossHopeRepeat:
    *insert my business trip babble*

You'll have it in time for our big relocation to Canada, no worries! Wink

Seriously - how great would it be if they offer to fly us wives up again, only in, say, spring? 

• image EverAfter07:

*insert my Alzheimer's babble* Note: I talk too much.

So sorry to hear that. My uncle's father went through this. He was the sweetest guy and when he got dementia he turned into an awful, belligerent, violent person. It was so sad to see him go through it. My thoughts are with you!

Thank you! I'm sorry your great-uncle went through the same :(

It really is an evil, terrible disease. My father's mother had it and lived with us for the bulk of her later years, and I swear, it was like living in an alternate universe. She yelled at people we couldn't see, claimed she was married to Jesus, cussed like a sailor, and even used the back porch as a bathroom. It.was.terrible.

My mother's mother has been on a decline for the past couple of years, but the past 8 months or so have been a much more rapid decline. The hatred she has for her husband is palpable, as is his pain. 

With it on both sides, I fear greatly for my future. I can only hope medical science grows by leaps and bounds in this area by then. I would hate to put my loved ones through that.

• image EverAfter07:
    image EverAfter07:

YAY!

Party!!!

I'm so scared about the whole business of it! You try to hard for so long NOT to have it happen, you know? Haha. I feel the same way. This is the first time I feel like I have a doc and practice I'm completely comfortable with. I hope they keep taking my insurance!!

Oh it's a big step, I'm sure!!

Mia was our, uhm, surprise. So this baby is the first time we've actively tried to expand the family, and it was a totally different experience. But I think the leap from one to two is vastly different than making the choice to leap from zero to one. At least, that's how I imagine it!

• Highs? We went to Philly to visit friends that got engaged last weekend. It was a fun weekend, full of yummy food (all you can eat sushi!), even though I had so much to do that I only wanted to stay one night...we ended up staying two nights. 
      • Lows? 1. I forgot my phone at my office on Friday, so I was without it all weekend. Slightly disconcerting. I have a key to our office, but when I stopped by on our way back from Philly yesterday, the building was locked and I couldn't get in.
        2. Our friend's dog (who is very large) kept trying to eat my dog (who is very small). So we tried to kennel our little guy, but he apparently has separation anxiety and would howl the whole time. It was frustrating, and we've learned our lesson to just board Porter if we're going out of town.
      • Watch anything good? Caught up on TV shows yesterday, but nothing exciting. 
      • Eat/make anything good? Last night, I made cod in homemade tomato sauce with sauteed mushrooms. 

We also had delicious all you can eat sushi/Japanese buffet in Philly.

• Read anything good? No.
      • FFCs, vents, AWs, observations, comments? I officially have taken on too much. I need to start saying no to things; I'm super stressed about some volunteer projects I'm working on. I also only went to the gym once last week, and don't know when I'm going to go again, and I hate that. On top of that, we went to visit my husband's friends THIS weekend, and his other friends are visiting us NEXT weekend, so I'm kind of like...why are we dedicating our weekends to your friends? Sigh. It's not really true, I'm just burnt out from social things right now. 
    • What are you looking forward to this week? Nothing right now. 
  • LLHR: That sounds so awful for you all, and for her. How sad. I can't imagine going through that in old age. You're right, hopefully science will have bog developments in the treatment of the illness. My grandfather is going through it now. His decline was gradual, but now it's to the point where he has to be in a VA nursing home. He's in a wheelchair and getting around became too hard on him, he has bathroom issues, etc. I go to see him every couple of weeks, and he gets a lot of visitors, so he's pretty happy there, all in all. I hate seeing him in there, but it's the best thing for his and my grandmother's health. They are 87 and 90. My grandfather has actually become more loveable though. He hugs our family and tells the girls how pretty they look, it's really sweet. He thinks he and my grandmother just got married, and he wants to sit on the sofa with her and hold her hand. Which she hates but tolerates, lol. He's a good guy, but let's just say that for 60 years, he had the mentality that wives were there to serve the husband.

I'm sure it's still scary going from one to two! Congrats again, btw :)  We think we're going to be one and done. That may change, we'll see, but I am an only child and grew up ok with it. I know my DH would prefer two, but ONE scares the bejesus out of me!

BabyFruit Ticker
    • Highs? Got a lot of cleaning, organization and relaxing gone. Also went to sushi brunch which is always a high!
    • Lows? Didn't get as much school work done as I would have liked.
    • Watch anything good? We watched Limitless with Bradley Cooper (yum). It was a great movie!
    • Eat/make anything good? Everything at Umi Sake's brunch yesterday.
    • Read anything good? I'm in the middle of Catching Fire...wanting to finish badly but things keep getting in my way.
    • FFCs, vents, AWs, observations, comments? Bailey is saying "mama" in reference to me now (not just babbling). I went in to feed her at 5am on Sunday and she looked at me and said "mama". I melted.
    • What are you looking forward to this week? Don't have anything in particular going on...hopefully trying out some new recipes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    • Highs? decorating cupcakes with DD last night, and going out to dinner on Friday night with just the hubby.
    • Lows? Not feeling well most of the week, blood pressure is up and I just laid around most of the weekend.
    • Watch anything good? Nope
    • Eat/make anything good? Went to a baby shower on Saturday and had some great pulled pork.
    • Read anything good? nope
    • FFCs, vents, AWs, observations, comments? I really want to make it to 33w 4d, but I'm not so sure if that will happen.
    • What are you looking forward to this week? Just making it through the end of the week without being put on bed rest.
    image, image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image Mella&T:
    • FFCs, vents, AWs, observations, comments? Bailey is saying "mama" in reference to me now (not just babbling). I went in to feed her at 5am on Sunday and she looked at me and said "mama". I melted.

!!!!!! How exciting!!

We are still trying to prod DS into saying something, anything!! We keep saying "who is that? is it mama/dada?" followed by deafening silence from him or a string of random babble. We're so anxious for him to say something we understand!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
    image mdharris29:

Seriously - how great would it be if they offer to fly us wives up again, only in, say, spring? 

That would be the awsome! I can travel until June 1st! :)

image mdharris29:

That would be the awsome! I can travel until June 1st! :) 

• Highs? had a swimming playdate w/ DD's preschool friend and her mom; the girls had a blast and we got to chat.
    • Lows? DD was being a little sassy, but she also never.stops.talking.and.asking.questions and sometimes Mama just needs some quiet time.
    • Watch anything good? Not really
    • Eat/make anything good? Enchilada casserole for dinner Saturday; we went to Houlihan's for lunch yesterday and I had some yummy artichoke heart and goat cheese appetizer!!
    • Read anything good? I downloaded a sample of "Richistan" trying to decide if the book is worth reading.
    • FFCs, vents, AWs, observations, comments? I am taking off next week as my own staycation - I am totally excited!!
    • What are you looking forward to this week? See previousl
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers