Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How do you organize....(sort of poll)

So I am not the world's most organized person.  I like things clean, but it can be a PITA to clean when stuff is just not organized. I just don't know where to put a lot of stuff, or how to organize it so its not all crammed into drawer somewhere, etc.  So I thought in light of making room for Christmas goodies as well as baby gear (stacking the stuff on top of the spare dresser in the midst of my other books, shoes, and running accessories is not really working...) I'd see what other people do. these are my big problem areas so any help would be appreciated, but feel free to add more ideas if you are dying to share how you organize your ice cube trays or whatever lol.

How do you organize....

your jewelry?  (mine is in an organizer in my dresser drawer, but that isn't working anymore.)

your shoes?  (do you have a shoe rack, an over the door shoe organizer, etc.)

your remote controls and other living room electronics?

your charging needs? (ie we have an ipad, two iphones, two nooks, a blackberry, and a bluetooth keyboard that all get charged fairly regularly.)

your hall closet (if you have one) - entry hall/mudroom closet I'm talking about here.

your winter accessories - scarves, hats, gloves.

HELP ME!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How do you organize....(sort of poll)

• I'm like you, clean, but not really that organized ...........I have a few different things for jewelry. I made one of those cork board holders with an old picture frame and use tacks to hold up all my necklaces. I love it, they all have a space and never get tangled. I have a traditional jewelry box for things like earings and bracelets, and valuable pieces that should be in a safe. And for pieces I wear really often (like my rings and stud earings I change out) I have a little ceramic box with a lid. I got my sister those ceramic egg crate like things from Anthro and she has since bought 4 more, she loves them for keeping jewelry organized and untangled. I might get one to see how that goes............. shoes; I have a "system", but rarely do I actually use it. I bought a bunch of shoe-box size plastic bins wih lids (clear boxes with blue lids) and I *should* put my shoes in those and they get stacked at the bottom of my closet. In reality, I really only keep out of season shoes in the boxes and all my current season shoes sit in a pile in front of my side of the closet so I can grab them easily. so twice a year I go through and put all my shoes in the boxes, and then a pile slowly accumulates as the season goes on............. Remotes, etc, I have a small rectangular basket on one of the end tables, and if the remote isn't lost in the couch somewhere it's in there............ Our charging stuff, 2 personal smart phones, one work BB, a shuffle for running, 2 iPad charges, we really have no organization for. I tried buying a charging station, but it was a PITA so I just donated it to goodwill yesterday. I'm no help here, we've never found anything that works so we just have charges travel from room to room, all over the house depending on where we charged the item last................ Hall closet, ours is out of control. We switch out coats twice a year, lightweight vs. winter and keep the out of season in our basement finished closet, but below the coats is a jumble of boots and some decor stuff I swtich out constantly.................... Winter accessories, we have 3 cloth bins I got at Homegoods that go on a shelf at the top of the closet. One for me, DH, and John. Every year DH and I go through it and get rid of the stuff we don't wear anymore so everything typically fits in those and they are easy to pull down and grab things out of or just throw stuff up there. Although the scarves I typically wear I wrap around the coat hanger with coat I last wore it with. ..................I'm interested to see what other solutions people suggest, always looking for quick and easy organiztion ideas!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ugh, I don't know why my work computer does this, but I had each of those responses in a separate paragraph, now it's all jumbled together. Sorry
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • your jewelry?  I have this chest that sits on my dresser. It's huge so it holds pretty much everything I have.

your shoes? I am not a shoe person so I don't have many pairs. Sneakers, clogs, and ankle boots I wear often so they are lined up in our foyer, kind of. Other than that I have 2 pairs of knee high boots which are on the floor in my closet, then about a dozen pairs of Old Navy flip flops are crammed into a couple squares of an organizer like this in my closet. Special occasion shoes are in their boxes in my closet.

your remote controls and other living room electronics? Just for Christmas I got a canvas box with a lid to store remotes. It will go on a shelf.

your charging needs? DH's phone gets charged on a dock on his nightstand. I plug mine into the wall charger, also in our bedroom. We don't really have anything else. The laptops and iPad are in the office.

your hall closet (if you have one) - entry hall/mudroom closet I'm talking about here. We have some coats on a rack in here and a canvas hanging cubbie thingy (like the link above) in here too for hats, gloves, scarves, umbrellas, and also cat toys, treats, etc. On the floor is a small 3-tiered shelf that is full of a bunch of my baking stuff. The top shelf in the closet also has baking stuff.

your winter accessories - scarves, hats, gloves. See above.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
  • Funny you mentioned this since some of my goals this week are re-organizing the laundry room, all the wrapping paper, and hall closet. 

It's been forever since I PIP-ed, (bear with me) but here are some ideas that I use..

Jewelry- I have one of these, which I stole the idea from pssjadey.  It's a full length mirror, so it serves two purposes.  I love it!

In the basement, I store the remotes in a hollow book I found at Michaels.  I keep other books on the coffee table so it fits in nicely.

I have one of the Pottery Barn charging stations that I use for my iPhone, iPod shuffle, bluetooth, and Kindle.  I actually found it at the outlet for $30.   I just bought this for DH, so I'm curious how we'll like it.  It's a 110V wall socket with USB capabilities.

Shoes- no help there, but I did see something like this on Pinterest that I liked. 

Hall closet and winter accessories- I'm no help there either because mine is a disaster right now too.  DH has more sock hats than anyone else in the world, so I've been trying to think of a way to organize them.  Our hall closet is super tiny too....

• I am the same way. I need things clean and clutter-free but I am not the best at organizing. Monica summed it up well on that episode of Friends with the hall closet. Most things have their specific place in the house but there are those items, that don't have a home...so they end up crammed in some space never to be seen again!

your jewelry?  I have all my jewelery I like to wear day to day hanging on this: http://www.westelm.com/products/3905585/?catalogId=66&bnrid=3902401&cm_ven=Shopping&cm_cat=Google%20Base&cm_pla=Jewelry_Boxes_Storage&cm_ite=AllProducts Other jewelry is in a drawer in my vanity.

your shoes? My shoes are on the floor my closet, based on the season. My closet is small so summer shoes are in a bin in the basement right now.

your remote controls and other living room electronics? Remote controls are on the coffee table. All other electronics are in a drawer in a side table in the living room.

your charging needs? All chargers stay in that electronics drawer until they're needed with the exception of my phone charger which is where my keys are hung, the mail bin, etc.

your hall closet - This one is so small and just houses our coats, the vacuum, umbrellas, winter gear, candles and hats.

your winter accessories - See above. All smaller items (gloves, hats) are in a bin on the shelf, the scarves hang on the rod.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image Mella&T:

your jewelry?  I have all my jewelery I like to wear day to day hanging on this: http://www.westelm.com/products/3905585/?catalogId=66&bnrid=3902401&cm_ven=Shopping&cm_cat=Google%20Base&cm_pla=Jewelry_Boxes_Storage&cm_ite=AllProducts Other jewelry is in a drawer in my vanity.

Just added this to my Amazon wish list! Jewelry is a problem for me... the place I currently have designated for jewelry is inconvenient so it never gets put there, just strewn all over the dresser and it annoys me every.single.day.

Shoes- I have a long, 3-tiered show rack that sits on the floor of my closet and I'm pretty good at keeping the shoes stacked on it.

Hall closet houses most coats hung up... on the floor are my rain and snow boots, some umbrellas and a basket that holds extra blankets and some winter accessories. The rest of the winter accessories are in two clear, plastic bins with drawers on the top shelf of the hall closet. A couple of sweatshirts and hats hang from hooks on the inside of the hall closet door.

Remotes and chargers/electronics are not very organized in our house so I would be no help there.

We have a designated junk drawer in almost every room Embarrassed

[IMG]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m116/catspajamas83/BaileyInstagram-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m116/catspajamas83/Jamesoneyes-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • How do you organize....

your jewelry?  I have a jewelry box on my dresser and I just put everything in there.

your shoes?  I have a shoe rack that hangs on the back of the closet door, and I also have shoes on the floor of our closet and some in the front closet.

your remote controls and other living room electronics? They are in drawer in our coffee table.

your charging needs? It's sad but we have all the charges pretty much sitting out on the counter top (I would not recommend this!).

your hall closet (if you have one). We hang coats, place hats, scarfs, gloves on the top rack and shoes are pretty much thrown in the closet as well.

image, image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • your jewelry?  I have a small jewelry tree that I got from Target that sits on my bathroom sink and then the rest is in a jewelry tray in my dresser (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=16838012&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping)

your shoes?  (do you have a shoe rack, an over the door shoe organizer, etc.) right now there is a basket to collect them when we come in the house.  There isn't any organization to it, except that they all go in the basket.  We take them upstairs every couple of months.  We have them sit on floor and if out of season they are put in a bin downstairs.  

your remote controls and other living room electronics? all remotes go in a basket on the coffee table

your charging needs? (ie we have an ipad, two iphones, two nooks, a blackberry, and a bluetooth keyboard that all get charged fairly regularly.) we have the same charging station at CCK from Pottery Barn.  We got it at the outlet on clearance.  It charges both iphones, blackberry, 2 bluetooth devices, ipad, and soon to add my kindle.

your hall closet (if you have one) - entry hall/mudroom closet I'm talking about here. we keep our vacuum in it and that's about it...  all our coats (that we are using) sit on a coat tree - (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=16838012&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping)

your winter accessories - scarves, hats, gloves. we have a basket that sits on the top of the fridge to catch all these items.  Anything not being used goes in a drawer in my DH's dresser.  

Looks like I like baskets... 

IUI#1 = 09/10 - Canceled - Dx w/POF
    DE IVF #1= 04/11 - BFP
  • Yay!!  An organizing poll!  I'm slightly OCD with my organization....

your jewelry?  see CCK's link above.  Hands down the best dual-purpose gift from DH ever. 

your shoes?  Fortunately, my closet is huge enough to house all of my shoes so I can still see them.  I have shoe racks similar to these on my side of the closet and DH does too.  http://www.target.com/p/Whitmor-Expandable-Stacking-Shoe-Rack-White/-/A-11677799

your remote controls and other living room electronics? In drawer in our coffee table.

your charging needs? DH charges his items in his desk and I do the same on my desk in our home office.  I'd go crazy if the charging plugs were all around the house! 

your hall closet?  DH has his coats on one side, mine are on the other.  Gloves, hats and items like that are inside a cloth box sitting on top the shelf.  I have this http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/23251-handbag-hangup-natural-purse-hanger.html for my scarves.  It's supposed to be for purses though.  Shoes go immediately upstairs which leaves room for my vacuum cleaner and steam mop at the bottom.   
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a 3 drawer thing on top of my small dresser for my jewelry and makeup.  I think I got it at the Container Store.  They have EVERYTHING you could want for organizing. I keep boxes that jewlery comes in to make separate areas in each drawer. Similar- http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10019532&N=&Ntt=jewelry

I have a drawer system thing (helpful, I know) in my closet that shoes sit on top of and I have my workout clothes in the drawers.  Like this but mine is two sets of drawers side-by-side so a lot more space to line shoes on top- http://www.containerstore.com/shop/elfa/bestSellingSolutions/drawerSystems?productId=10000911&N=68564

In our hall closet we have 4 egg crates on the top shelf and each serves a different purpose- 1 has my hats/gloves/scarves, 1 has DH's, one has dog stuff, and one has my softball stuff.  

We don't have any system for charging or for our remotes.  Those are just under the coffee table.   

• Thanks ladies! I'm going to hunt up some of this stuff. I especially like the jewelry tree. 

Jadey and CCK - where did you get those big jewelry mirror "thingies"?  I think I might be able to persuade H that I need one lol.

• Becky, here's the site DH bought mine from.  So many to choose from!

http://www.jewelryarmoire.com/jewelry-armoires/cheval-mirror-jewelry-armoires/heritage.cfm

Edited to fix link.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ack...I don't see it now.  Let me do some digging.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Awesome, thanks Jadey!  conveniently I have a birthday coming up Wink

ETA: yeah that link is bad :-(

But something like this, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Powell-Jewelry-Wardrobe-Full-Length-Antique/dp/B001TH7G0A/ref=sr_1_7?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1325009457&sr=1-7

• Yup, very similar.  I fixed my second link.  Smile
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • your jewelry?  (mine is in an organizer in my dresser drawer, but that isn't working anymore.) I have a jewelry box that sits on my dresser.  I don't have a ton of jewelry so I keep everything in there.

your shoes?  (do you have a shoe rack, an over the door shoe organizer, etc.) I have two shoe racks that sit on the floor of our bedroom closet.  We also keep some outdoor shoes in our entryway closet.

your remote controls and other living room electronics?  The majority of our remotes stay in the drawer of the one endtable in our living room.  We also have some things like Wii controllers and other electronics in the drawer of our tv stand.  I really like this because everything is accessible but completely hidden.

your charging needs? (ie we have an ipad, two iphones, two nooks, a blackberry, and a bluetooth keyboard that all get charged fairly regularly.)  We don't have much as I keep my ipod charger at work and we share a cell phone charger.

your hall closet (if you have one) - entry hall/mudroom closet I'm talking about here. We have shoes organized on the floor, coats hanging, and then we have a handing organizer with different holes for things like scarves, hats, gloves, and bags like my dog training class bag.  We have additional hooks on the walls for dog leashes, etc.

your winter accessories - scarves, hats, gloves. See previous.

My sweet boy
    imageimage
  • I'm obsessed with organizing.

your jewelry? I have a jewelry box.  I don't have a ton of jewelry, but the box has enough room for my rings, bracelets and necklaces, and a drawer for earrings.

your shoes?  I have a shoe cubby in our closet.  We also have a bench w/ baskets where our everyday shoes go.

your remote controls and other living room electronics? We use one remote for everything.  When we used to have multiples, I had a small basket for them.

your charging needs? We have a charging station in our bedroom for the phones, ipod, and nook.

your hall closet We've got coats in there, and a hook midway down the door for Aiden to hang his coats on.  There's a higher hook for me to hang my work bag on.

your winter accessories - I have a rubbermaid container where they go.

Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d

• How do you organize....

jewelry? I have a jewelry box from Redenvelope.com, along w/ an elephant ring holder, a tree thing and this lilly pad thing (all metal) all also from redenvelope.com. DH went a little crazy after I liked the elephant holder- which only holds my engagement & wedding rings- I should get rid of either the tree or the lilly pad thing. Red Envelope has a nice selection of jewelry storage- http://www.redenvelope.com/jewelry-box-rjbox?ref=HomeNoRef&q=jewelry+storage   A few larger costume necklaces, etc. are in boxes in a dresser drawer. 

shoes -  we have one of these at both our front door and our back door, as we are a "no shoes" house. We try to limit each person in the family to one pair per tray. I have an under the bed shoe organizer that I put out of season shoes in- and in the summer I have a fabric bucket thing I throw flip-flops in. Otherwise I try to keep most of my shoes in their original boxes in my closet. 

remote controls - We have comcast & only use that remote, keeping it on the coffee table. Remotes for the TV & DVD player are resting on top of the DVD player, since we would have to get up to put a DVD in the player anyway, so grabbing it would be NBD. 

chargers- DH has a blackberry & I have a droid- same charger, we have an iPad & iTouch, so same charger- basically we only charge 2 devices @ the same time. We have the iPad/touch charger hooked up in our family room, and our phone charger on an end table in our living room. I didn't like them being in our bedroom because I felt like they were frying our brains while we slept- also it annoyed me that DH used to check his phone last thing before he went to bed/first thing when he got out of the shower, etc. No one needs to be that connected ALL of the time. 

hall closet/winter accessories - no hall closet- but we do have this huge wardrobe thing in our living room- one side/door is like a closet w/ a rod that we hang most of our coats in, the other side has 3 drawers, plus a shelf and we put up 3 sets of hooks in the top (below the shelf) so between the hooks & drawers we keep all of our scarves/hats, etc. plus the kids' coats & jackets. Also  one drawer is my "gift" drawer for stuff I buy to have on hand for kids' b-day parties, etc. 

HELP ME!!! - overall my advice is to purge, purge, purge. I wish I had gotten rid of more stuff while I was pregnant with DD and before we moved. I held onto a lot of clothes, purses and accessories of mine for far longer than I should have. You know stuff you buy w/ the intention of wearing but then still has the tags on 2 years later, etc. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • So I am not the world's most organized person.  I like things clean, but it can be a PITA to clean when stuff is just not organized. I just don't know where to put a lot of stuff, or how to organize it so its not all crammed into drawer somewhere, etc.  So I thought in light of making room for Christmas goodies as well as baby gear (stacking the stuff on top of the spare dresser in the midst of my other books, shoes, and running accessories is not really working...) I'd see what other people do. these are my big problem areas so any help would be appreciated, but feel free to add more ideas if you are dying to share how you organize your ice cube trays or whatever lol.

Seriously Becky. this is me exactly!! 

How do you organize....

your jewelry?  (mine is in an organizer in my dresser drawer, but that isn't working anymore.) I have a hanging rack on the back of my closet door with slots for earings and pegs for necklaces and bracelets but that's not working. It's full and stuff keeps falling off.

your shoes?  (do you have a shoe rack, an over the door shoe organizer, etc.)
    I do like my shoe cubes. I got them from Target and stacked them so it's 2 sets of 2 and they hold 60 pairs of shoes then my boots and a few extra heels are on top.

your remote controls and other living room electronics?
    Hah no organizing, throw them in the coffee table drawer.

your charging needs? (ie we have an ipad, two iphones, two nooks, a blackberry, and a bluetooth keyboard that all get charged fairly regularly.)
    Yea, going to need to check other answers on this for ideas...

your hall closet (if you have one) - entry hall/mudroom closet I'm talking about here. n/a

your winter accessories - scarves, hats, gloves.
    Storage bins under the bed.

There are tons of ideas on Pinterest, it's starting to inspire me. Also, I got this book, The Happiness Project, and my first "task" that I made is for the next 30 days (started a week ago) I would organize something every night. Even if I'm pressed for time and it's the silverware drawers, it has to be something every night. It's starting to help and I'm trashing a lot of stuff!